Sponsored by:

Coolant Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Coolant Question

Ran my car this AM after sitting for more than a month - started immediately and ran incredibly well. Temp was reading slightly more than 180 which is a little unusual, since I wasn't driving the car hard. Coolant level is just slightly low (just below min line, but present in the overflow tank). Should I add water, a mix of distilled H20 and Porsche coolant, or straight coolant? We're moving into Spring in the NE.

I figure by May, my car should be broken in - hit 1930 on it this AM.

Last edited by Phil G.; 03-14-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

You may want to start monitoring your coolant after you top it off since the level should not drop at all especially at only 1930 miles (assuming it was topped off to MAX from the factory). I had the same problem and had the coolant cap replaced first, after like 7k miles it happened again and it was a hairline crack on the coolant tank. Mine is an '03.

- Ahsai
Old 03-14-2007, 03:37 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed mine seemed a bit high this morning as well. I think she's running a fever. I'll watch it on my way home to see what happens.

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Ran my car this AM after sitting for more than a month - started immediately and ran incredibly well. Temp was reading slightly more than 180 which is a little unusual, since I wasn't driving the car hard. Coolant level is just slightly low (just below min line, but present in the overflow tank). Should I add water, a mix of distilled H20 and Porsche coolant, or straight coolant? We're moving into Spring in the NE.

I figure by May, my car should be broken in - hit 1930 on it this AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ahsai
You may want to start monitoring your coolant after you top it off since the level should not drop at all especially at only 1930 miles (assuming it was topped off to MAX from the factory). I had the same problem and had the coolant cap replaced first, after like 7k miles it happened again and it was a hairline crack on the coolant tank. Mine is an '03.

- Ahsai
I'm going to top it off and monitor closely - although it may have been topped off at the factory or even at purchase from the dealer >1 year ago, some minimal evaporation might be expected. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm going to top it off and monitor closely - although it may have been topped off at the factory or even at purchase from the dealer >1 year ago, some minimal evaporation might be expected. Thanks.
That's what I thought at the beginning too for my car but you said your car has < 2k miles. IIRC, the delta between the min and max is not that small and evaporating that much within 2k could indicate a problem. Imagine topping off coolant every 2k. Of course, I hope it's just evaporation in your case too.

Good luck.

- Ahsai
Old 03-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

It's still under warrantee - but I'll keep close check on it! I haven't seen anything on the garage floor - best of all, no RMS leak (at least not yet). After having it sit all winter, it's just amazing how really good this car is. I was so happy with driving her again, I put another coat of Zaino Z5-Pro on just for good measure!
Old 03-14-2007, 04:19 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think the expansion tank being a little low would cause it to run warmer in our relatively cool ambient temps. Did you check the radiators to be sure they are free of leaves and debris? Before I drove my car for the first time this spring (a couple of weeks ago), I pulled more than a dozen leaves out through the left and right grills.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Did you write that you are under 2000 miles on a MY04 car?? Gees,--why did you buy it? I hope to turn 10,000 on my 06 model that I've only had for 5-1/2 months!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:24 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Ahh, that's right!

Originally Posted by MarkinMD
I don't think the expansion tank being a little low would cause it to run warmer in our relatively cool ambient temps. Did you check the radiators to be sure they are free of leaves and debris? Before I drove my car for the first time this spring (a couple of weeks ago), I pulled more than a dozen leaves out through the left and right grills.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:06 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai

- Ahsai
Several of us have had the same problem..., it's very often a cracked coolant tank. The bad news for me at the time was that it's not covered under the certified pre-owned warranty.

When you add coolant, use a 50/50 mixture. Don't deviate because warm temperatures are coming. Monitor the level in the tank and watch your temperature guage. If you find yourself adding coolant frequently, visit your friendly Porsche dealer for a replacement (or, I'm told that it's not a real difficult do-it-yourself project).

Good luck!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:31 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VGM911
Several of us have had the same problem..., it's very often a cracked coolant tank. The bad news for me at the time was that it's not covered under the certified pre-owned warranty.

When you add coolant, use a 50/50 mixture. Don't deviate because warm temperatures are coming. Monitor the level in the tank and watch your temperature guage. If you find yourself adding coolant frequently, visit your friendly Porsche dealer for a replacement (or, I'm told that it's not a real difficult do-it-yourself project).

Good luck!
Yup, the pre-owned warranty did not cover my expansion tank either. Cost me $900.00 installed at the dealer Drive your car as much as you can to avoid other problems which may result from the car just sitting there.

Good Luck!!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:43 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Nothing was blocking my radiators from what I saw. My pressure valve was up on my Cap/Tank however, I don't know if that is the problem. Also, I had the expansion tank replaced and hopefully it's still under warranty.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:13 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by manny_g
Yup, the pre-owned warranty did not cover my expansion tank either. Cost me $900.00 installed at the dealer Drive your car as much as you can to avoid other problems which may result from the car just sitting there.

Good Luck!!
Not sure if the car is still covered under the factory warrantee or CPO - but I'm having the system checked out when I go in next week for a state inspection. I did add 1:1 mix of antifreeze and water - had to laugh as Porsche antifreeze is $40 per gallon - LOL.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:14 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Did you write that you are under 2000 miles on a MY04 car?? Gees,--why did you buy it? I hope to turn 10,000 on my 06 model that I've only had for 5-1/2 months!
Yeah, it's just a weekend toy - I promise to use it more this season - I agree it really does need to be driven!
Old 03-15-2007, 09:35 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah, it's just a weekend toy - I promise to use it more this season - I agree it really does need to be driven!
Phil - yeah, we believe you!

and....... "The check is in the mail"..... "Yes, I will respect you in the morning"..... and , of course..... "I promise I won't --- in your mouth"

Quick Reply: Coolant Question