Sponsored by:

Complete newbie - detailing and washing

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Irksome
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete newbie - detailing and washing

So I've got this great car, and it looks amazing. But it gets dirty!

I went to wash it today, and realized I had no clue what I should be doing. This isn't my 1993 Saturn SC2, I can't just get a sponge, dish soap, and start scrubbing!

After searching a bunch, and reading probably 20 threads about washing, I realize I don't even have the vocabulary for fine automotive detailing, let alone the tools and techniques.

I figure the best place to start is to find a quality professional detailer and get my baby looking great, and start small with washing after that. So, my first question is, how do I find a good detailer/car wash? I know a few hand-wash joints, but how do I tell the good from the bad? Does anyone have any recommendations for a shop in San Diego? The car is 4 years old, and is probably due (overdue?) for some wax, and while I like the finish, I'd like it to be better.

Second, though I learned that I know very little by reading through the posts here, nowhere did I find a 'auto detailing for dummies' thread. Is there a book, post, web site, or other resource I can consult to get started?

I came home from a drive today (~150 miles, nearly all winding mountain roads, woo-hoo!), and the car really needs a bath! Help me out!
Old 03-05-2007, 12:23 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have just one word for you.....Zaino.

www.zainostore.com

Plenty there to read. Best stuff since sliced bread.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:30 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

I personally wouldn't go near these detailing people unless they are regularly dealing with top end cars and picky picky owners in which case it's gonna cost you a bundle.

It's not that hard. Everyone has their favourite product and you just need to go with what you like - that means try a few.

Just take your time, have fresh clean cloths, be careful you don't contaminate (e.g., keep your wheel/brake dust cloths away from the bodywork) and enjoy.

Most people here get immense pleasure from cleaning and detailing their cars (me included) so do it yourself.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:02 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Irksome

I went to wash it today, and realized I had no clue what I should be doing. This isn't my 1993 Saturn SC2, I can't just get a sponge, dish soap, and start scrubbing!

After searching a bunch, and reading probably 20 threads about washing, I realize I don't even have the vocabulary for fine automotive detailing, let alone the tools and techniques.

I figure the best place to start is to find a quality professional detailer and get my baby looking great, and start small with washing after that. So, my first question is, how do I find a good detailer/car wash? I know a few hand-wash joints, but how do I tell the good from the bad? Does anyone have any recommendations for a shop in San Diego? The car is 4 years old, and is probably due (overdue?) for some wax, and while I like the finish, I'd like it to be better.

Second, though I learned that I know very little by reading through the posts here, nowhere did I find a 'auto detailing for dummies' thread. Is there a book, post, web site, or other resource I can consult to get started?

I came home from a drive today (~150 miles, nearly all winding mountain roads, woo-hoo!), and the car really needs a bath! Help me out!

There are great online tutorials here:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html

A good intro tutorial is here:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-intro-detailing.html

It's about the techniques, not the products.

David at Autopia will show you the steps and techniques to use.

Ask 10 people here about products, you'll get 10 different answers, so focus on the techniques more than the products and you'll be in better shape.

Hope that helps.

Chris.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:11 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Check out one of the members' profile, OCBen
There are some links in his signature to several of his writeups.
You will find some helpful tips and a good read.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:17 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Irksome

Forgot to add, as you're local - if you want to get together I can go through David's basics with you on your car, and cover any questions you may have.

PM me if you want to have a detailing session

David also does detailing tech sessions for the local Porsche club group from time to time - well worth attending
Old 03-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Dominick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Spider

The process is fairly stardard regardless of product
Enjoy the ownership

I found this site very helpful. I did purchase all their products but their info is pretty good

http://www.bettercarcare.com/cardetailing.html
Old 03-05-2007, 02:58 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dominick
I agree with Spider

The process is fairly stardard regardless of product
Enjoy the ownership

I found this site very helpful. I did purchase all their products but their info is pretty good

http://www.bettercarcare.com/cardetailing.html
Look's like we have the same taste!

Bettercare is a sub of Autopia - same tutorials
Old 03-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Irksome
Racer

Guys, thanks a ton, this is exactly what I needed. I'll educate myself a bit and then at least I'll know where to start. =)

I will definitely be in touch regarding working along side a knowledgable local expert. I probably won't be ready to attempt this for a couple more weeks, given my current travel plans, but expect a reach-out.

Given that a couple of you are locals, any recommendations for a good detailing company? I'm figuring something should be available in La Jolla or Del Mar, maybe elsewhere, and I would rather start with recommendations than cold-calling. I don't mind driving a ways for the right place, so pretty much anywhere in San Diego county would be fine.

I got a quickie hand-wash done today to take off the grime, and she's ready for a drive to Palm Springs today. But I'm sure she'll be quite dirty by the time I get back!
Old 03-05-2007, 04:28 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Forgot to add, as you're local - if you want to get together I can go through David's basics with you on your car, and cover any questions you may have.

PM me if you want to have a detailing session

David also does detailing tech sessions for the local Porsche club group from time to time - well worth attending
2 porsche, 4 mail boxes. now that's SoCal - more everything!

your detail work looks nice.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:28 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by pl
2 porsche, 4 mail boxes. now that's SoCal - more everything!

your detail work looks nice.
Thank you sir!

Old 03-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Dominick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cdodkin

good to know - I hadn't seen Autopia before
Look slike another bookmark added to my "Favorites"
Tons a good info

Cheers ;-)
Old 03-05-2007, 07:36 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dominick
cdodkin

good to know - I hadn't seen Autopia before
Look slike another bookmark added to my "Favorites"
Tons a good info

Cheers ;-)
No problem, just use the discount code AUTOPIA during checkout for an extra 10% discount on everything you buy

Old 03-05-2007, 07:43 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

You can also try griotsgarage dot com. Not affiliated, but use some of their products which work very well. Their website also has a free pdf download of a detailing handbook which covers a lot of the basics - it's worth reading. Also, you will almost always do a better job than someone else if you enjoy doing it yourself. Many detailers will only run a coat of wax over your car without prepairing the surface first (besides washing), do it yourself and do it right - you'll be much happier with the results!

+1 to proper technique
Old 03-05-2007, 10:44 PM
hantsbad
AutoX

I aggree about David and Autopia being the best. They have been very helpful when I had questions on how to best use products. They are the best.

Quick Reply: Complete newbie - detailing and washing