Sponsored by:

0-60 & 1/4 mile time for mufflers, headers, &CAI

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 02:48 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 0-60 & 1/4 mile time for mufflers, headers, &CAI

Hi guys, I finally took my car out this morning with my G-Tech performance meter. I wanted to see how much benefit I gained from adding B&B mufflers & headers and an EVO (1st generation) cold air induction system to my 1999 tiptronic 996.
I have tested the G-Tech on my other vehicles and I believe the results are very accurate. The stock numbers for my car (according to several book & magazine articles) indicate a 0-60 time of 6.0 to 6.2 seconds. This time is about a second slower than the manual transmission.
I do not have "before" numbers for my car because when I restored it, I never used the stock mufflers or air filter assembly. My 0-60 time was 5.45 seconds. My 1/4 mile time was 13.5 seconds. I realize that this is not 100% accurate or indicative of the exact gain that I obtained from each part. I wish that I had a before time for my car, rather than relying on written claims.
I do believe that I realistically knocked about 1/2 second off my 0-60 time with the modifications that I made to my car. Hopefully this information is beneficial to anybody that is considering similar modifications.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:02 AM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have an automatic? 99 996 C2's have been tested by various magazines at 4.6 to 60.

edit: oh duh - you said tiptronic in your post I glazed over it looking for numbers
Old 02-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

man.... no disrespect but that's slow compared to what porsche has advertise.............not to say that a 5.45 sec is slow.... but it's no where in the 4.6 sec category...... why the huge discrepency?
Old 02-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

40 degrees/low humidity - 13.98 @ 102 completely stock tip (many 14.0s), had to foot brake to launch so it wouldnt bog. Got about 1200 RPM before it pushed the lights. Took about 6 runs to get that time, noticed that the hotter the engine was, the faster the MPH.

If the G-meter is accurate, your car is pretty quick.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
man.... no disrespect but that's slow compared to what porsche has advertise.............not to say that a 5.45 sec is slow.... but it's no where in the 4.6 sec category...... why the huge discrepency?
TIP!
Old 02-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

it makes that big of a difference? crazy....
Old 02-25-2007, 03:15 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

I've searched for reviews and tests on mine (02 C4S-Tip) by various magazines,
and it averages about +/- 5secs 0-60, and +/-13.27 1/4mile.

I haven't tried 1/4mile runs, but did try 0-60 runs with a passenger using a stopwatch,
and it turned out as claimed, +/-5secs.
Hmm...I was thinking if I got my fat-*** friend off the car, I might be able to shave a half sec off....
Old 02-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
it makes that big of a difference? crazy....
yes, you are driving a front pump and a viscous coupling, these two things absorb mad horseponies.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:25 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

I would think that headers wouldn't be so good on an automatic, since they shift the torque band upwards - away from where you really need it in an automatic.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Porsche smile, the factory claims 0-60 for a stick is 5.0 and the tiptronic is 6.0 (Porsche buyers guide by Randy Leffingwell). With that in mind, I was pretty happy to knock 1/2 second off the 0-60 time just by changing the mufflers, headers, and CAI. I still plan on adding a chip with the hope that I can make my tip as fast as a 6spd. My Saleen (420hp N/A), that I just sold to a friend, clocked a 0-60 time of 4.0.....that's fast.
I can't wait to take my Porsche out for an open track day. I'm looking forward to focusing on steering, braking and accelerating without having to worrying about shifting.
Cosmo & Tippy, I hope that you guys enjoy your tiptronics as much as I enjoy mine. I'm always amazed when I floor the car in the automatic mode and it downshifts to the lowest gear possible...way lower than I would have done with a stick. It will squeeze the last couple of hundred rpms out of every gear. It does a better job then I ever could.
El Torrente, the headers did raise the torque higher. Because of the way the tiptronic downshifts almost to redline when stomped, I get more benefit from the higher power band. I love runing it to redline just to hear wonderful sounds.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:02 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 750 Likes on 379 Posts

Hey Mark,
Good timing on this post as I just "g-teched" my car two nights ago. I too have a 99 C2 tip. A few months ago my car was bone stock and in about 46 degrees, I was able to pull a 5.62 sec. 0-60 after about three tries. My current "performance" mods (translation: mods that might, but might not, help performance) consist of nothing more than a K & N replacment filter and the 3.6 PSE mod. I did one run on Saturday night, 45 degrees, and was able to pick up a 5.44 0-60. I did, however, perform a slight foot brake (about 1000 rpm's) to get a slightly better launch, and so I'm not sure if the better time was a result of the mods or the launch technique. Either way, I'm pretty happy with that time and suspect it is fairly accurate. Try doing a slight foot brake and see what kind of time you can get...bet you knock off a few tenths. (I wouldn't go crazy, however, as my guess is that foot braking an auto is probably not the easiest on the tranny!). Scott.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:46 PM
HD911
Racer

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Porsche smile, the factory claims 0-60 for a stick is 5.0 and the tiptronic is 6.0 (Porsche buyers guide by Randy Leffingwell). With that in mind, I was pretty happy to knock 1/2 second off the 0-60 time just by changing the mufflers, headers, and CAI. I still plan on adding a chip with the hope that I can make my tip as fast as a 6spd.
Sorry to be a buzz-kill but its highly unlikely that you knocked a 1/2 a second off your 0-60 with the mods you did.
Unless you did a 0-60 run pre-mod you cannot make that assumption.........Porsche normally post's conservative accleration times to begin with.
Maybe a few tenths at best!
Old 02-26-2007, 02:07 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kind of agree, he'd had to run side by side against a Stock tipronic to really be able to gauge or maybe another person with a Gtech and a stock tip will pop in this post to give you his/her ET.

Originally Posted by HD911
Sorry to be a buzz-kill but its highly unlikely that you knocked a 1/2 a second off your 0-60 with the mods you did.
Unless you did a 0-60 run pre-mod you cannot make that assumption.........Porsche normally post's conservative accleration times to begin with.
Maybe a few tenths at best!
Old 02-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Hi Scott, it's nice to hear from you again. I put a new MAF sensor in the car last week. My problem appears to be gone. Thanks again for the advice. Your times with the G-tech look great. I bet you had fun. Your car is probably almost identical to mine performance wise (CAI & mufflers). Our only difference is the headers....maybe 10 hp if I'm lucky. I bet mine sounds better & gets worse gas mileage. I did power brake, but I had my wife in the car (110 extra lbs.). She gets car sick, so I only got one run...both 0-60 and 1/4 mile. I'll try again solo when it stops raining. I wish we lived closer, I'm sure I would enjoy hanging out with you and your dad. What is your dad's 0-60 time?
HD911, don't worry...I'm still pretty happy with my results. I'm headed in the right direction.
DC, Tippy posted a 1/4 mile time on his stock tiptronic of 13.98. My 1/4 mile time was 13.5. That's probable as close as I'm going to get to an accurate comparison. I've run the G-tech on several cars, I believe that it is extremely accurate.
In the Feb. 05 issue of Excellence there is an article on 9ff's interpretation of a 996 3.4 "Clubsport". They got 337bhp out of a N/A 3.4 without increasing the displacement. They reduced the 0-62 time from 5.2 seconds to 4.7. They also reduced the weight by 110lbs. They added about 37-41 bhp. in order to reduce their 0-62 time by 1/2 second. In my wildest dreams, I would be lucky to have added 15-20 hp with my modifications; thus, I would be dreaming to think that I knocked a full 1/2 second off my 0-60 time. still.....sometimes it's fun to dream.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:11 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 750 Likes on 379 Posts

Mark, good to hear the car is running well! Wow, you got a great time considering you had a passenger (albeit a petite one!). I did some runs once with a 200-pound friend and it had a HUGE impact on my times, so I'm betting if you lost the passenger (and maybe took out the spare tire and tools), you could get pretty close to 5.2 seconds. I've only g-teched my dad's car (02 C2 tip cab) one time. His car at the time only had the evo intake and ghl mufflers. It now has fabspeed headers and a GIAC chip, and actually does feel faster. On that occassion I didn't push it as hard as I could, and did not power brake (I would never do that in someone elses car!), and managed a 5.12. Given all the mods, I bet I could get his car in under 5 seconds if I really leaned on it and power braked.

I couple of neighbors and I have been talking about going to the local drag strip to get some official times (trip would include an 06 supercharged mustang gt with 500hp, a 996 tt, my dad's 02, and a modded-out 300zx tt with 450 horsepower that can't keep the wheels from spinning). If we do I will be sure to take the g-tech to see how close the 1/4 mile time is to the g-tech data (I've never done a full 1/4 mile run with the g-tech because I don't know of anywhere safe where I can do an acceleration run from 0 to over 100 mph). As you know, if you are ever in Phoenix give me a buzz, and be sure to report your updated results! Scott.

Quick Reply: 0-60 & 1/4 mile time for mufflers, headers, &CAI