996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

One for the filthy rich guys :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007 | 09:46 AM
hamilton
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
It has nothing to do with the tax break since after a specific amount of income level you lose most of it, it has to do with the low rate of borrowing costs compared to what you can do with the free cash. For those who do receive a duduction for interest, it is and additional big benefit. There is an inflation factor also. Your payment is a fixed amount, not subject to any inflation increases. Each year, your payments consist of cheaper dollars. For example, beginning in year 15, with and annual inflation rate of 2%, the inflation factor lowers your payment by 30%. There is a whole list of arguments justifying that a mortgage is part of a good financial plan, but it's too involved to go into here.

As far as the value of your home dropping, I fail to see what this has to do with a mortgage. Either way, the value will drop, you just have to decided whether you want to risk your money, or the bank's. If you were to reverse your senerio and have your home double in price, you have increased your net worth using someone elses money.
Well, many of the people who have been speculating in real estate have ARMs or balloon payments that are going to erase any inflationary protection. I did mistakenly attribute another poster's comment about needing the "write-off" to you which is why I wrote the bit about the deduction. And you are right about what might happen if your house were to double in value but, at this stage, that is extremely unlikely. So what I am trying to say is that when the huge number of people with "creative" mortgages and no equity either can't aford their new payment and also can't move because they are upside-down on the loan, they are going to default and the bank will foreclose. I predict a huge economic slump once this starts to happen. I don't get why people don't realize that asset inflation is not generating real wealth. If your house increased in value by 20%, the only way to realize that gain is to sell it or to draw the money out in the form of a second mortgage. If you sell it, you still have to live somewhere else and any comparable place you are looking at is also going to cost more. If you take the second mortgage (now called a home-equity loan) then you can very quickly be upside-down on the loan and will be unable to move unless you can cover the gap with cash. All I'm trying to say is that the current real estate hysteria is not much different than tulip bulbs were several hundred years ago.
Old 02-23-2007 | 09:50 AM
hamilton
Instructor

Originally Posted by LVDell
oh hamilton, you really don't understand the tax code do you???

Most of us have mortgages that are in the 5% range (which is even lower after the tax shelter) and that is some of the cheapest money you can borrow. To have that mortgage will free up $$$ that you can use in investments. And those my friend if you are even conservative can easily bringback 10-15%. Do the math.
Dell, what you are doing is more accurately called speculating and not investing. There is a significant difference. When I went to Med school and had to borrow money, that was an investment in my future. Just like borrowing to build a factory would be. Borrowing against the equity in your home to stick it in the stock market is speculation that the equities and your house will continue to follow the trend of the last few years. Remember when the tech bubble popped?
Old 02-23-2007 | 10:23 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by hamilton
Dell, what you are doing is more accurately called speculating and not investing. There is a significant difference. When I went to Med school and had to borrow money, that was an investment in my future. Just like borrowing to build a factory would be. Borrowing against the equity in your home to stick it in the stock market is speculation that the equities and your house will continue to follow the trend of the last few years. Remember when the tech bubble popped?

And your thinking is exactly why the smart stock market traders will ALWAYS make money. Thank you very much. By definition, the stock market is not an investment...it is purely, 100%, speculation just as is whether you will wake up tomorrow or not.
Old 02-23-2007 | 10:26 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

hamilton....I am not going to get into a pissing contest with you since you assume that I am a speculator (which I am not) and as well somebody that is upside-down in my home. My wife graduated med school with ZERO student loan debt and I borrowed ZERO for my graduate work (Ph.D). We do not specualte nor invest with HIGH risk. We own a considerable portion of our home and are nowhere near upside down. By the way, I made a nice chunk of change on my house in Las Vegas before I moved out here last year (almost double). But you know what? I at no time SPECULATED in buying that home. That home was an investment and it just so happened that we made more than we thought we would. We hoped for enough to break even or even have some down payment money after the 4 years we owned it.

So, there is NO specualting here. I invest. Thanks for playing.
Old 02-23-2007 | 10:27 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

997S (with X-51), 997TT, Carrera GT and a heated/air conditioned "house" with a "loft" (lift) for them to live in!
Old 02-23-2007 | 10:27 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hamilton
Simply put:

You borrow $300k for your mortgage at 5%
You inherit $300k when your rich uncle dies
You invest the $300k in an array of mutual funds that return 9% a year
You EARN 4% more than you would paying off your house!
Old 02-23-2007 | 11:22 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AndyK
Simply put:

Actually more than 4% since you have deducted the interest on your taxes. But nonetheless, good basic example to illustrate the point.
Old 02-23-2007 | 11:27 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by AndyK
Simply put:

Or, as some doomsayers on this board like to think:

Your house value falls by 50%
You invest the $300k in an array of mutual funds and lose it all
You become homeless and pennyless, forever wandering the earth looking for direction.
Old 02-23-2007 | 11:30 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Old 02-23-2007 | 11:58 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Why spoil this thread that could have been fun.
Old 02-23-2007 | 12:08 PM
996 Convert
Racer

Actually less than 4% because although you get the deduction on the 5% you also have to pay taxes on the 9%.
Old 02-23-2007 | 12:38 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by 996 Convert
Actually less than 4% because although you get the deduction on the 5% you also have to pay taxes on the 9%.
If you want to be technical about it.....actually NOT. Capital gains have a more favorable tax treatment as well as much of the dividends. Mortgage tax deduction applies to your tax bracket and not just 15% as do much of the dividends and gains.
Old 02-23-2007 | 01:34 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

Originally Posted by Ray S
Rob you don't need a Veyron to do that, in fact we can even leave our 911's at home.

You find a private 5 mile straight we can use and I'll take you to 153 in my Boxster.....
Oppps! Obviously I meant 253mph!!!
Old 02-23-2007 | 02:32 PM
krisd
Instructor

I was hoping someone could explain the effect of the Alternative Minimum Tax with respect to the Captial Gains on the investment income. A little time spent on the phase out of the itemized deductions would also be a lot of fun! I live in California so be sure to bring in those lovely taxes as well. I am sure there are a few folks from New York, so those taxes will be just as fun. We could then round that out by going over the various fund managers and how the conservative ones are getting a 10 to 15 percent return. If I could get a constant return any where in that range, I may be able to seriously consider the original question in the post.... Oh yea, that's right, how would I spend alot of money!

I would start with about a 80 foot boat, that would certainly be a great way to reduce my bank account while having a great time. It would be big enough to strore plenty of water toys and accomodate several friends in comfort. It is also a size that you don't necessarily need a crew to enjoy, which would be my personal preference...at least for another 10 to 20 years.

A couple houses in different climates would be great also, maybe throw in a jet.

And certainly a few fun cars.

Lastly, trusts for all the family members as well as some charitable trusts.

Now let's get back to the tax discussions!

Kris
Old 02-23-2007 | 02:41 PM
smackboy1
Pro

I'm in the process of rebalancing my portfolio right now and note that for an S&P 500 Index fund the returns for 2006 were over 15%, approx 7% average over 5 years, 8% over 10 years and 12% since inception in 1976. 10-15% annual returns are not unrealistic.

If I had crazy amounts of money, I would invest it in the stock market. Nothing sweeter than your money working for you to make more money.

Oh, and maybe a few extra deer whistles, you can never be too careful

Last edited by smackboy1; 02-23-2007 at 02:59 PM.

Quick Reply: One for the filthy rich guys :)