Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Are the Carrera 5-spoke "lightweight" rims fragile?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 06:33 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice and unique..... you can put me down as compliments.......
Old 02-21-2007, 06:48 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
just a noob question... why don't you want to track the 40th? is it just a little more luxurious then the other years? why buy it then?
In general, 996 C2 and C4 cars aren't as durable under heavy track use as the TT/GT2/GT3 variants. Of the 996 C2 & C4 models, the 40th anniversary is a heavily optioned car that has a lot of luxury goodies that are totally unnecessary for the track. When I bought the car, I had only been on the track once in my life and I thought "All Porsches are built like tanks. The $20k discount is a steal and if I decide to do more track events, the car can take it."

I've since learned that all Porsches are NOT created equal. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't concern myself with having a navigation system, Bose, heated seats, 6-disc CD changer, etc. etc. etc. I would be more concerned with camber adjustability, sway bar adjustability, transmission durability, dry oil sump, etc. etc. etc.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
In general, 996 C2 and C4 cars aren't as durable under heavy track use as the TT/GT2/GT3 variants. Of the 996 C2 & C4 models, the 40th anniversary is a heavily optioned car that has a lot of luxury goodies that are totally unnecessary for the track. When I bought the car, I had only been on the track once in my life and I thought "All Porsches are built like tanks. The $20k discount is a steal and if I decide to do more track events, the car can take it."

I've since learned that all Porsches are NOT created equal. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't concern myself with having a navigation system, Bose, heated seats, 6-disc CD changer, etc. etc. etc. I would be more concerned with camber adjustability, sway bar adjustability, transmission durability, dry oil sump, etc. etc. etc.
thanks for the clarification.......
Old 02-21-2007, 11:04 PM
CT03911
Banned

AndyK, here's another reason the 5 spoke Carrera wheels are nice. They are SOOOO easy to wash. They look good and clean up quick. Nicer than the twists, I think.

Quick Reply: Are the Carrera 5-spoke "lightweight" rims fragile?