Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Affordable entry point to 996 ownership?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 05:54 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by newport996
And more catastrophic failures can be more like 5-10k....
as with any car, loose an engine or trans in your, gm or honda or anything your going to be out 6-8k for a new one installed at the dealer
Old 02-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the p-car for what it is.... but like everyone says.... buy he newest you can afford and if that's in the striking distance of a tt do it..... it's a whole different world....
Old 02-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kor
I should clarify, I already have a ~350hp turbo VW Jetta that I built (and still am working on) myself.

So I am not really a stranger to the realm of adding a kit to a car or rebuilding an engine.

I'm in my 20's and have lots of time to work on the car, that would be half the point I guess.

I would be looking at 70K for a turbo but I'm in Canada so actually much more.

It would be more like... 45K for a SC C2 or Targa?
Well, when you clarify it that way I'd say go for it! There are two SC kits available for the 996 and opinions vary on which is the superior product.

There are several on this board and 6speed that have the kits on their cars. If you perform a search or post a new Supercharger thread I am sure you'll get a lot of responses from those that have the kits.

Good Luck!!
Old 02-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I did a quick search.

Here are a few threads on the subject

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=Supercharge

Old 02-17-2007, 10:23 AM
jeffsnavely
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sure you care about resale as cost is important to you.

You pay more upfront for a Turbo, but it always has great resale value due to its collectible/classic/rare status.

Heavily modding a stock car leaves you with less upfront cost, but you now have a car that's worth less than you paid and almost worthless to resell. Who in their right mind would buy a heavily modded, supercharged, etc car from you when there are so many non-molested cars available for great prices?

The car would be very very hard to sell without taking a HUGE loss.

The Turbo, on the other hand, would be easy to sell anytime you needed to.

You may think you don't care about resale, but you never know when you will need the cash for a house, school, kids, etc. Money spent on lots of mods is money mostly gone forever. Money on a Turbo car is equity preserved.

I'm sure you are well aware of this considering your VW, but there are lots of kids willing/looking to buy super tricked-out VW's for $20k and under, but the people buying Porsches are not the same - they DO NOT want to buy someone else's project.

Another great car to SC is the NSX - many people have done it and the engines can handle it great from what I've read. An NSX with SC would be much much easier to sell than a 996, as the NSX community accepts that mod more readily. The 996 crowd does not. The cost of buying the NSX is the same or less than the 996, and long-term ownership costs would be much less.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffsnavely

You pay more upfront for a Turbo, but it always has great resale value due to its collectible/classic/rare status.

Heavily modding a stock car leaves you with less upfront cost, but you now have a car that's worth less than you paid and almost worthless to resell. Who in their right mind would buy a heavily modded, supercharged, etc car from you when there are so many non-molested cars available for great prices?

You may think you don't care about resale, but you never know when you will need the cash for a house, school, kids, etc. Money spent on lots of mods is money mostly gone forever. Money on a Turbo car is equity preserved.

I'm sure you are well aware of this considering your VW, but there are lots of kids willing/looking to buy super tricked-out VW's for $20k and under, but the people buying Porsches are not the same - they DO NOT want to buy someone else's project.

Another great car to SC is the NSX - many people have done it and the engines can handle it great from what I've read. An NSX with SC would be much much easier to sell than a 996, as the NSX community accepts that mod more readily. The 996 crowd does not. The cost of buying the NSX is the same or less than the 996, and long-term ownership costs would be much less.

You're joking right? The kind of modifcations around here are sought after. We're taking a car and mostly adding OEM equipment to it. Please explain to me how adding OEM equipment (or better) decreases the value, as I've nver met anyone with that perspective.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:50 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

I wouldnt buy a heavily modded porsche, you dont know who did the work, what work they did or how the car was treated. modded cars are beaten, mine is
Old 02-17-2007, 12:07 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My calculus...

c4 based car...not cheap.

SC...may need a wing for air/breathing...10-14k...not cheap

m96 engine issues.....not a "racing engine" per ce...check rms/engine threads....me, I would never feel good in one of these blown.

Now, a 993 c4 or c4s with a sc is more likely to handle the load in my opinion...just my opinion. But, the 996 has better day to day driving features....

TT. Stock brakes, suspension, power awesome. Better block priceless. My mental thoughts of having a "turbo"....well, lets say I grew up with them in posters. I know silly...but it was my choice and I made it. The TT is underpriced now..it will likely go up a bit and hold at 70-75k for the next few years..especially as more people who cannot keep them up get them, trash them, and lower the net number around to buy. That is a phenomenon that the 993 probably did not have to see due to rarity.

JB
Old 02-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
I wouldnt buy a heavily modded porsche, you dont know who did the work, what work they did or how the car was treated. modded cars are beaten, mine is
I guess it all depends on your perspective of "heavily modded".

I'm personalizing my car, but I certainly don't beat it - it is treated with TLC. I guess the lesson is that there is no fixed rule and you have to treat cars on a case by case basis.

...but don't buy a car from Firehawk.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:41 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by oreganet
I guess it all depends on your perspective of "heavily modded".

I'm personalizing my car, but I certainly don't beat it - it is treated with TLC. I guess the lesson is that there is no fixed rule and you have to treat cars on a case by case basis.

...but don't buy a car from Firehawk.

if you want to play you have to pay, things break tires wear ect ect.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:59 AM
ELMEL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffsnavely

Do your comments hold true on modded turbos? I'm looking at a 996TT with upgraded turbos, headers, exhaust, cats, clutch, chip, PSS9s, and some Techart bits. 22k miles. When I sell, will these mods hurt me?
Old 02-23-2007, 08:20 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

not as much on turbos. it wont hurt your resale, modign just doesnt tend to add value to a car
Old 02-23-2007, 09:31 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ELMEL
Do your comments hold true on modded turbos? I'm looking at a 996TT with upgraded turbos, headers, exhaust, cats, clutch, chip, PSS9s, and some Techart bits. 22k miles. When I sell, will these mods hurt me?
Many buyers will prefer a stock Turbo over modded (non-factory options) for various reasons, some of which firehawk mentioned.

So, when you go to sell a heavily modded car, there will be fewer potential buyers, as those who require stock will not be interested in your car.

If you have plenty of time, you may be able to sell it for what you want out of it, but generally, fewer potential buyers = lesser demand = lower value.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:48 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kor
Jokes aside, the whole "pay to play" argument has in my experience often (but not always) been the refuge of those who simply need to justify that they paid.
Oh, to be so young... and to not yet know how remarks like that get fate's immediate and most diabolical attention.

That's the kind of thinking that got me into marriage number two.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:49 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The TT is a brute stock.....on the track, more is more, but in my day to day with my TT....it is a brute. If you get porsche options (like a short shift), not a big deal. If you blow it to 700hp, make it harder to drive with a lightweight flywheel, etc....to me, it is actually worth less.

To me. I am probably Joe Average owner #2 type. I avoided modded TT's because with a mod comes an owner pushing the car.....basically, if you plan to mod a car, don't plan to get nearly as much for it.

Said another way, watch a Barrett Jackson auction for just about any car from Gullwing SL to Chevelle big block. Stock with paper is way more valuable than any mod.

Me, My mods will be tires and wheels....from my perspective, the tires change the way the car drives more than any other piece of equipment and they have the advantage of being easy to change.....

I do plan to put an ipod in, but I also plan to do it in such a way as to be fully reversable to stock....like putting a switch in for the CD changer to be back on line, etc. It might cost me $100 more at the installer, but that is to preserve the "stock" option.

I suspect adding an RCA input or such will not hurt value too much, but you never know....

I had a 993 C4S. The turbo is in another league....stock, it is more car than any person could need on the street (in the USA) IMHO. If I raced, I might mod. But then, one has to consider a raced car as a tool....not an investment to me....

Like I said, the turbo is a brute. If you plan to mod, my advice is test a TT first......way more wise long term IMHO. What happens when the SC company goes out of business?

Just my opinion.

Best.

JB

Quick Reply: Affordable entry point to 996 ownership?