Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Affordable entry point to 996 ownership?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Kor
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Affordable entry point to 996 ownership?

Hi,

My life's dream has pretty much been to own a porsche turbo for the last 10 years.

I'm finally getting closer to a financial position where it would be possible to step into a 996 - especially since the 996 is depreciating a bit with the arrival of the 997.

I always wanted the turbo for the ~400+ hp and driving experience.

However, I recently learned that there are a couple of supercharger kits out there for the 911 C2/C4/Targa that put them into Turbo territory for ~$10,000.

Is a C2 with a SC going to be a more affordable point of entry for me? I know, its not the same as a Turbo but just wondering what people think about going this route. I may be able to get a more pristine example of one of the less expensive 996 models and then just upgrade it over time - interior and exterior also.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it your engine will blow up!!! JK... WE at Rennlist love to chat about 996 engine catastrophes

The turbo has a completely different engine block, same as GT3, etc. So for my 2 cents if you go with a 996 and was worried about price I would keep it pretty stock engine-wise. A low price 996 is about 30-35, while a low price turbo is around 60, if you look at 10 for the kit then possibly another 15 for engine replacement if they screw it up, I would bet my money on the real deal, not to mention the myriad of upgrades the turbo has, such as suspension, brakes, etc. that round out the car to be the devilish driving machine that it is, it would be cost prohibitive to do all of that aftermarket for most people.

Anyway, best of luck, in my opinion they are all fun as hell to drive.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Einstein
Instructor

1.-i never trust any kits for any car.
2.-do you have a mech/shop you can trust 100%?
Old 02-14-2007, 02:16 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

It dependes what you call affordable, there are guys who had ferraris before and just got Porsches and they seem to them to be very affordable in comparison.
if you want to spend $50k+ go with the turbo, if not get a Carrera and leave her stock.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:23 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is always the option of buying an older Turbo? Or, a nicely modded 951 for 1/3 the price of a C2.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:24 PM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely agree. I'd invest more in the exhaust, handling, and stopping, and not worry about the HP, if you're concerend about keeping it cheap. Porsches have down through history have been under-powered compared to other marques, and they let their strengths rule the day.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You may be able to get to similar stock turbo power levels with a supercharger and probably even improve the torque curve a little (torque should build more rapidly with a SC, while turbo will generally make more peak power).

However, I'd recommend you get the turbo out of the box. You can find 996TT's in the high $60's now and with it you are getting a completely engineered package for that power level (brakes, transmission, AWD system, etc.).

If you mod the 996, you are moding an engine and software not designed to run w/boost and (IMHO) you are setting yourself up for potential problems.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Kor
Track Day

I should clarify, I already have a ~350hp turbo VW Jetta that I built (and still am working on) myself.

So I am not really a stranger to the realm of adding a kit to a car or rebuilding an engine.

I'm in my 20's and have lots of time to work on the car, that would be half the point I guess.

I would be looking at 70K for a turbo but I'm in Canada so actually much more.

It would be more like... 45K for a SC C2 or Targa?
Old 02-14-2007, 03:25 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again....if you are buying a Porsche for HP wars, its a losing battle....Porsche is about the WHOLE package...not HP numbers...So a 996 is not really designed to run 400+ HP...a TT is a different engine designed for that HP....996 rebuild kits are not really readily available...so they replace the engine when things go bad....thats 10-15k....I would say drive a stock 996, and see if its what you want...If you want High HP...a 944 Turbo is a bargain...can be modded, parts are less expensive and readily available.....I have seen people with 400+ HP out of their 944 Turbos....that being said I have a stock engine and have done suspension mods and wheels and audio upgrades, etc....ths is an amazing car and FUN.....take it to the canyons and you will see what Porsche is all about....
Old 02-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kor
I should clarify, I already have a ~350hp turbo VW Jetta that I built (and still am working on) myself.

So I am not really a stranger to the realm of adding a kit to a car or rebuilding an engine.

I'm in my 20's and have lots of time to work on the car, that would be half the point I guess.

I would be looking at 70K for a turbo but I'm in Canada so actually much more.

It would be more like... 45K for a SC C2 or Targa?
As much as you know how to work on cars, YOU can not work on the internals of the engine yourself unless you get all of the tooling from Porsche. You can not duplicate the tooling either unless you have blueprints. Get the TT, S/Cing a 11.3 compression motor is never good.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

... the comment about an "affordable price point to ownership" made me smile.

With Porsche it's not about the entry pricepoint, it's about the longterm maintenance and upkeep. You have to be able to pay to play. There's no such thing as an inexpensive Porsche. Many get into ownership without realizing the potential for rapid escalation of expenses. If you cannot afford to drop a couple of thousand for a dealer visit, then maybe a Porsche is not for you.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Kor
Track Day

Sadly I own a VW so I am used to dropping a thousand on a dealership visit haha.

Jokes aside, the whole "pay to play" argument has in my experience often (but not always) been the refuge of those who simply need to justify that they paid.

I believe that recently there is becomming a pathway to inexpensive porsche ownership, starting with used porsches like the boxter and 996 C2. These cars were made and sold in mass quantity (compared to how things used to be) and are fairly reliable and affordable due to depreciation.

You might not see it as being "worth it" yet, but eventually it will be "worth it".

I'm not at all interested in a horsepower war by the way, if I was I wouldn't be interested in a porsche.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:46 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kor
Sadly I own a VW so I am used to dropping a thousand on a dealership visit haha.

Jokes aside, the whole "pay to play" argument has in my experience often (but not always) been the refuge of those who simply need to justify that they paid.

I believe that recently there is becomming a pathway to inexpensive porsche ownership, starting with used porsches like the boxter and 996 C2. These cars were made and sold in mass quantity (compared to how things used to be) and are fairly reliable and affordable due to depreciation.

You might not see it as being "worth it" yet, but eventually it will be "worth it".

I'm not at all interested in a horsepower war by the way, if I was I wouldn't be interested in a porsche.
Great...buy one, dont worry about HP and enjoy one of the greatest sports cars made....
Old 02-14-2007, 04:55 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kor

a few thosand is not out of the ordinary on a pcar
Old 02-14-2007, 04:57 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
a few thosand is not out of the ordinary on a pcar
And more catastrophic failures can be more like 5-10k....

Quick Reply: Affordable entry point to 996 ownership?