996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PA/NJ Spring Fling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Tim, so do these photos help appease the photo addiction for the weekend?

It was cool to see and I can't beleive the photos that we got. I love Ppashley's tree shot... that was a nice stretch of road.

We would have loved to have you with us - pity that it's so far for you to travel.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:00 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
Wow, that must have been a million bucks worth of cars in that lot! Nice looking scenic backdrop too!

What was the average speed? Was it more a slow procession, or what?
Yep, I think we were 27 or 28 cars, so well past the million i guess!

It wasn't a slow procession. There were several opportunities to, erm, stretch our legs, shall we say
Old 04-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Yep, I think we were 27 or 28 cars, so well past the million i guess!

It wasn't a slow procession. There were several opportunities to, erm, stretch our legs, shall we say
... I hope you also got a chance to get your spoiler up. I got a kick out of gunning it to get things moving for a little while.

Jay's 968 could really move - it was nice to see him overtaking on Mountain View Road. Scared the life out of me to see him coming forward at high speed just before our turn - I thought he was going to miss it.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Okay, after consultation with The Boss, how does late July sound for another run?

That would give us a few months to invent another route and space things out nicely before another run in November for the end of the year.

Thoughts?
Old 04-14-2007, 11:17 PM
grant911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Okay, after consultation with The Boss, how does late July sound for another run?

That would give us a few months to invent another route and space things out nicely before another run in November for the end of the year.

Thoughts?
I hope you're joking. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm up for next weekend!! I understand people have busy schedules, but would it be too much to do one a month?? I know any opportunity I get, I'm going.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:24 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

sooner is good with me

and why re-invent another route? That one will do me just fine several times over!!
Old 04-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I'm in favor of more get together, absolutely - although, I'll need help to put them together. Do I have volunteers?

Coming up with the route and test-driving this event it took several full weekends of work - probably around 5 or 6 weekends. Doing that again for a new route will take a while. Once we have a few runs done, then it's not a big deal, but right now I'm putting these together from scratch.

A few people said that they might have access to route invented by other clubs, so we might be able to get hold of those and they would be a good stop-gap until we've written our own.

I'm game if others are.

Right now I've just added Saturday July 28th (rain date 29th) to my calendar for the next one - that I can say we'll do for certain. If we're doing another one sooner, then let's get to work.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:29 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whew..........it was a challenging route this morning with good weather and eye-catching scenery that made it hard to keep my eyes on the road.

Because I was near the front, I couldn't see how everyone else was driving. However, I can comment on two of the cars that were near me. The lone 968 driver distinguished himself in a car that had a slight power disadvantage - but Jay was smiling from ear to ear as he kept pace with the faster 911s in both the tight and open sections, and I noticed his silly grin when he passed me on a fast stretch of road.

And the major surprise of the day was how competitive Tony's beautiful 356B cabriolet was. It was a tribute to the ability of the car and, more so, of Tony's driving skills. We could easily out-accelerate him, but in most other respects, he competed quite impressively for a 46 year-old car. When he was behind me, I watched with admiration as he took the corners, seemingly with ease.

Wellardmac, we were all rewarded today with a well-planned, well-executed, enjoyable event. Thank-you!
Old 04-14-2007, 11:32 PM
grant911
Pro

Like spiderv6 said, that route was awesome, why make a new one so soon, perhaps a new one for later in the year. I could go on that run a couple more times. As briskly as we were moving, I'm sure we didn't get to catch all that beautiful scenery, and it would be nice to have a couple more shots at that! I'm in favor of keeping that route, and just driving!
Old 04-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Thanks guys - I'm cool with that. We can reuse the route, although my plan was to reuse next spring, then come up with new routes for the summer and fall.

Jay mentioned that he was going to pass me a covered bridges route and I thought that might be the good basis for a summer drive. I was thinking that we could do a fall drive in the mountains for the fall foliage.

If there's motivation to rerun this route it would give those that missed this run a chance to join us.

As for Jay's driving - he has an incredible car and handled it well. When he put his footdown and started over taking I thought he was going to overshoot the entrance to the park - I put my turn indicator on way early to let him know that we were turning soon and that he needed to get back in lane - it was pretty funny to watch.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:48 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

yeah, he buzzed past me at one point and I wondered what was going on

I'll definitely look over some maps during a couple of beers and help map out a new route with you, count me in.

I think a re-run in the next month or so for those that missed it plus those that want to do it again would have much the same turn out as today.........
Old 04-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I'm up for next month. I can't do it sooner, due to other commitments, but late May would work... 19th or 26th
Old 04-14-2007, 11:59 PM
su20
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
If there's motivation to rerun this route it would give those that missed this run a chance to join us.
almost couldn't bear to open this thread to look at the pics, I'm so bummed I missed it! I'm all for doing it "again", since that would give me a chance. Sounds like a fantastic route, and it was a beautiful collection of cars. I'm ready any time!

To ease my pain, I put the car up on stands and started my poor-man's PSE mod today. At least on the next run, I'll make a little nicer noise!

How's this for therapy...
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by su20
almost couldn't bear to open this thread to look at the pics, I'm so bummed I missed it! I'm all for doing it "again", since that would give me a chance. Sounds like a fantastic route, and it was a beautiful collection of cars. I'm ready any time!

To ease my pain, I put the car up on stands and started my poor-man's PSE mod today. At least on the next run, I'll make a little nicer noise!
Holy Cow Todd - that's pretty significant surgery!

I felt bad for those that got excited about attending, then couldn't make it. I hope that they're not unsubscribed from this thread already... I'll start another thread and link to it from here to get the discussion going
Old 04-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

All,
You will see that I've start a new thread to open up the topic for repeat drives. The link is here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...88#post4082388

Quick Reply: PA/NJ Spring Fling?