Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

WARNING: Be careful around Discount Tire!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 01:18 AM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had great service from our local Discount Tire, even on the P-car.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:55 AM
STRASPEC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check other shops that have this relatively new machine that stretches the tire and never comes in contact with the wheel itself unlike traditional tire-put-on machines. touch-less tire removal and application
Old 02-08-2007, 02:01 AM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So this is a warning. The shop realized one of their guys f'd up so they halted before any more damage was done. Then they offer to make good for their f'up. What's the warning here?
Hell, there's always a chance even the best guy can slip and make a mistake.

Perhaps you've never had a shop carelessly mount all four tires, scratch the **** out of em and then claim they were not responsible or swear they were that way before.

Damn, what I wouldn't give to find a shop that admits mistakes happen, let alone one that's willing to make good on their mistakes.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool

For future reference.....

Since you live in Naperville, ILL., I would suggest that you purchase your tires from Tire Rack in South Bend, Ind. They have prices every bit as low as Discount Tire. They also have the "ne plus ultra" of tire mount machines for large or expensive wheels - The Artiglio Master. See this site: Check on Products - Tire Changers

I have driven several times to South Bend for central Illinois just to use their service mounting new tires on expensive rims. Order your tires over the phone and book an appointment for a Saturday morning. The mounting and balancing cost is LESS than most shops near you. These guys mount a lot of tires, thousand os tires, and do an excellent job. I've marveled an this machine several times as NO metal item ever touches your wheels. You can stand right next to the technicain and watch him. They raise your car carefully with 4 floor jacks. When mounting your wheels, the use the correct torque and know how to PROPERLY tighten the nut with a torque wrench. Except for the Loss of a Saturday morning, and the cost of the gas, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

Cheers,

PS I do not work for TIRE RACK. I am only a VERY satisfied customer.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:46 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Discount Tire has always been solid with me in the past as well. However, once you start driving on bigger wheels, you're probably better off buying the tires online and taking them to your dealer. You can always negotiate on what they chart to put the wheels on. Alternatively, a good indy can set you straight as well. The problem lies with the low profile tires and their very stiff sidewalls. Many discount shops just don't have the equipment (go Hunter!) to properly install and balance your tires. If you must use a discount shop, then inquire as to what products they use in the garage. Remember, these are your wheels and your shoes your talking about on a 3k pound car.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

I fear every tire change, even at a shop with the best machines all it takes is a monkey working the equipment to damage your precious wheels.

Ciao,

J.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:15 AM
ruckmjr
Advanced

A high-end tire shop has never fouled up someone's rims? Kudos to Discount for acknowledging the mistake and being willing to take care of it. You don't see that much anymore.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:46 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
For future reference.....

Since you live in Naperville, ILL., I would suggest that you purchase your tires from Tire Rack in South Bend, Ind. They have prices every bit as low as Discount Tire. They also have the "ne plus ultra" of tire mount machines for large or expensive wheels - The Artiglio Master. See this site: Check on Products - Tire Changers

I have driven several times to South Bend for central Illinois just to use their service mounting new tires on expensive rims. Order your tires over the phone and book an appointment for a Saturday morning. The mounting and balancing cost is LESS than most shops near you. These guys mount a lot of tires, thousand os tires, and do an excellent job. I've marveled an this machine several times as NO metal item ever touches your wheels. You can stand right next to the technicain and watch him. They raise your car carefully with 4 floor jacks. When mounting your wheels, the use the correct torque and know how to PROPERLY tighten the nut with a torque wrench. Except for the Loss of a Saturday morning, and the cost of the gas, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

Cheers,

PS I do not work for TIRE RACK. I am only a VERY satisfied customer.
As an alternate, some reputable tire shops also use the Hunter brand.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Company has nothing to do with it, I have damaged $65,000 (hate to admit) in parts in one slight movement of the hand, to error is human.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh--oh....mortar fire....Incoming!! You have to remember that a lot of the Big discount tire shops base their profit margins on volume....that volume means a lot of cars coming and going. They frequently hire a lot of young guys at minimum wage or low pay in order to maxiimize profits. The turnover in a lot of the high volume shops is pretty high...mostly becasue of the non-stop volume coming through, righteously hard work (have you ever worked busting tires?)...and.they burn out their staff. Consequently, they're in a hiring mode a lot of the time, and oftentimes it's the inexperienced help that is tasked with busting down and remounting a lot of the tires. They usually have one or two experienced guys around for the high end cars...but you've got to make sure you have the salesman get one of them to do the job. Salesmen are there to sell tires...usually on comission...they don't pay much attention to the mounting process unless you're vocal about it. All of the shops have had instances where they've messed up rims...and they're all pretty much in tune with having to buy one or two, so they understand your concerns....you just have to make them known....and if you're REALLY concerned about it....when the salesman writes up your order, take him outside with you and show him your rims. That imparts a very strong message....THIS guy is seriousl about his rims. It also helps you because if they are scratched or dinged by the staff... you have a witness to how they looked before the dismount/mount and balance process. I've had fairly decent luck with discount tire shops by going thru the inspection process first. So you really can't point to a bad incident at particular Discount Tire shop and make it a universal indictment of the entire chain.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:24 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

^
|
|

Oh my! What a big avatar you have!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Originally Posted by programmatore
^
|
|

Oh my! What a big avatar you have!
and you have a big sig!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Thegman
My Targa needed two new rear tires (12K plus miles) so I ordered two Conti Sport Contact 2's from Discount Tire to match the fronts which show nearly no wear. The price was acceptable so they were ordered and received by the tire shop.

I jacked up my car and removed both rear wheels. I carefully removed the stick on wheel weights and residual adhesive residue and washed and waxed the wheels on the fronts and backs. The wheels are both "perfect" inasmuch as they are off a concours car. I delivered them to the tire dealer and instructed him to mount and balance the tires. I was told to return in two hours and I did.

Upon my return, I was informed that the tires weren't mounted because there was a problem. The problem was that the technician scratched/dinged the paint on the rim when he tried to dismount the old tire. Thankfully, they stopped before they really F'd up the rim. They apologized and offered to pay for a repair but the bottom line is they sell high end tires and fancy rims but can't mount a tire on a rim without F'ing it up. I left with the tires and I am having another shop mount the tires. Just another bad experience!
And you've never made a mistake?
At least they owned up to it and told you immediately. As well they offered to put things right... And you're upset why? They would have won my business right there had I been the customer.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Part of my reasoning is that from now on, because they screwed up, they will always make a point of being ESPECIALLY careful on your car. You better believe they won't make that mistake twice on the same customer's car.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:18 AM
mfennell
Advanced

There is no completely right answer, I guess, but over the years I've found that I have better luck with independent tire shops than dealers or independent performance shops. The reason (I think) is that the guys at the tire shop do tires all day, every day. The other shops do an occaisional tire. They're just not as practiced.

Quick Reply: WARNING: Be careful around Discount Tire!