Sponsored by:

Dension Unit Installed With Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:12 PM
SoCalC4Cab
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dension Unit Installed With Satellite Radio

Received the Gateway 500 from bumperplugs.com on Friday. I had Jamey Rawlings of Rawlings Audio (porschetunes@aol.com) install it. He did an amazing job, and went way beyond the call of duty to make sure it worked correctly.

The device works great, although I am still getting used to the commands. Since Dension was forced to use the CD changer commands, it isn't the most intuitive setup. But it is great to be able to control the ipod -- which I now stow in the glove box -- from the factory head unit (I have PCM 2 with Nav). The sound is excellent -- CD quality, and 100 times better than the hard-wired FM modulator I was using before. Jamey ran the satellite radio through the AUX input on the Dension unit, and it works great too. You just have to unplug the ipod to use sat radio. The XM controller install is super clean as well. Jamey drilled out a CD holder so that the controller almost looks stock.

My head unit did require programming, since I did not have the CD changer. This is a quick process, but it requires the Porsche computer. Jamey met me at the dealer and facilitated this process as well (and I'm not receiving any consideration from Jamey for mentioning him here).

There is a thread on the 997 board that details the control functions of this device. Sorry but I couldn't post the link, but it's really active and so it is easy to find.

Thanks to Eric for running this product down and making it available, and thanks to Jamey for such a great install.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:17 AM
clundin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like we're getting what we're looking for and the long wait is finally over. Received my unit on Saturday. I was thinking of doing this myself but sounds like I should try and find a Jamey. Does anyone know if there are any installers in the Seattle area?
Old 03-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Skinner
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on all that “SoCalC4Cab” sez above… Jamey and his colleague Chris are the best! If you are in the Socal area and are not the DIY type – call Jamey! It was worth the wait to get the ability to tie into the fiber optics with the Ipod and XM. For more info, call Jamey on his cell: 626-372-0744 or email him: porschetunes@aol.com Rock on & thanks again Jamey for the fantastic job!

Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Dension Unit Installed With Satellite Radio