Extended Warranty Help - 03 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 07:04 PM
DanJK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Help - 03 C4S

Friends,

I am purchasing an '03 C4S - 20k miles. The following is a proposed extended warranty. Do you think this will cover the major problems that sometimes come up with 996s? RMS? Since clutch is not specifically written, I assume it is not unless you see something I don't. Love to get your opinion on this or whether I should beef it up to bumper to bumper.

Thank you.

Coverage includes:

Engine: cylinder block, cylinder head(s), rotor housings and their internal parts, intake manifold, exhaust manifold(s), timing gears, timing chain(s) or belt(s), timing chain or belt tensioner(s) and timing chain or belt cover, valve cover(s), flywheel or flexplate, ring gear, harmonic balancer, oil pump, fuel pump, vacuum pump, water pump, oil pan, turbocharger or supercharger housing(s) and their internal parts, waste gate, intercooler, engine mounts.

Transmission: Transmission case, transaxle case, transfer case and their internal parts, torque convertor, vacuum modulator, cooler and metal cooler lines, transmission mounts.

Drivetrain Assembly: Final drive and axle housing(s) and their internal parts, flex disc, axle shafts and bearings, universal and constant velocity joints, drive shaft, center bearings and drive shaft yokes, four wheel drive engagement actuator/motor.

Suspension: Upper and lower control arms and their shaft and bushings, ball joints, steering knuckles and spindles, stabilizer and strut or track bars and their bushings and links, coil springs, torsion bars and their mounts, leaf springs and their shackles and bushings, hub bearings or wheel bearings, McPherson struts.

Front Wheel Steering: Steering gear housing, rack assembly, belt-driven pump and its reservoir and their internal parts, steering column shaft and its couplings and bearings, steering pump pulley and mounting bracket, pitman arm, idler arm, tie rods, steering linkages.

Brakes (non ABS): Master cylinder, wheel cylinders, calipers and their seals, power booster, accumulator, combination valve, backing plate assembly, metal brake lines and fittings, brake pedal parking brake assembly. No coverage for ABS brake parts.

Electrical: Alternator, pulley and mounting bracket, voltage regulator, starter motor and its solenoid and drive, wiper motors, manually operated switches, neutral safety switch, backup light switch, brake light switch.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:25 PM
zose
Advanced

while I have no real good opinion on your question, I thought i would say you have an awesome Bully. I have one too and they are just the best dogs!

Good luck with the car, hope those that know give you good advice.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:31 PM
DanJK
Racer

Thanks. He's a riot. Not much a driver though. He prefers the sofa over the car.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Not the way it's written. I don't see seals (e.g., RMS) and coolant tank (another common failure) being covered. A better type of coverage would say they include *everything* except with a list of exceptions.

Also, the transmission coverage seems pretty weak for a stick shift.

Clutch (and brakes) are out of the question for any type of warranty since they're clearly a wear and tear item and so much usage dependent.

- Ahsai
Old 03-27-2007, 07:43 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

+1 with Ahsai.

Few more things:

--Is there a limit on the number of claims per year?

--Is there a dollar limit on the hourly labour charge (some cover $90/hr only) ?

--Is there a dollar limit on parts per repair (some cover only $2000) ?

--Is there an annual cap (e.g. $10,000 per year in claims), like a medical / dental policy?

--Is there a minimum waiting period after the purchase when you can file your first claim?

--Can you get work done anywhere? Call up a few dealers / indies to see if they have worked with this warranty company before.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:47 PM
DanJK
Racer

Ummmm. Lots to think about and research, thank you. RMS coverage for me is a must. Sounds like Coolant Tank should be as well.

I agree, exclusions would be much easier. I'll shop it. Got some time.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:16 PM
Atlanta C4S
7th Gear

I too am looking for an extended warranty and asked my local P-car dealer and they recommended EasyCare. They said that is the only one accept direct payment from. All others, you have to pay and then collect from the warranty company. I am still looking into Warranty Direct and SmartAutoWarranty to get some comparisions. Any feedback or experiences would be appreciated.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:00 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

get warranty direct bumper to bumper....
Old 03-28-2007, 10:08 AM
DanJK
Racer

I'm looking at Warranty Direct now. They have several options. I'll check out EasyCare next. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:08 AM
DanJK
Racer

MechanicalEng: have you ever made a claim with Warranty Direct?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DanJK
Ummmm. Lots to think about and research, thank you. RMS coverage for me is a must. Sounds like Coolant Tank should be as well.

I agree, exclusions would be much easier. I'll shop it. Got some time.
My '04 C4S is CPO'd until '09 - my understanding was that the Porsche extended warantee covers RMS but not coolant tank leak. Am I correct? BTW, my car was inspected today (and passed!!) and the coolant tank is completely intact (I needed to add last week and was concerned about a slow leak). Now I'm only 50 miles away from the car being broken in!
Old 03-28-2007, 01:56 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Phil - I believe that the coolant tank is NOT covered in MOST instances. However, I recall a few guys getting it replaced by the dealer under what the guys called "good will" from the dealer.

You are going to have to replace the tires from rot before you replace them due to excessive wear. Now, get out and drive that thing.... HARD!
Old 03-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Now, get out and drive that thing.... HARD!
I'll try, promise.

Last edited by Phil G.; 03-28-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:17 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

No I have not, but a good friend of mine who has a Boxster S had one 2 weeks ago, his A/C unit stopped working and Warranty Direct covered it no questions asked, the only thing they did not cover was shipping of the new unit from Germany..(cheap)
I know people who had RMS replaced. I choose WD because I have only heard good things about them...
Old 03-28-2007, 02:30 PM
bernocco930S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this guy..... www.mbadirect.com

Ed Rodriguez
MBA Direct
Tel: (800) 347-0303 ext 329Fax: (480) 860-0867
I have always had great luck with their service and fair prices with great coverage.
eric

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Help - 03 C4S