996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Coolant Leak - help diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This scenario has just been gone thru....do a search under the caption of "coolant leak" and you'll see how I fixed it for $168 for the tank...and another $16.00 for an extra coolant sensor in case you break yours getting the tank out. As it turns out I didn't break the sensor. It took about 3 hours for me being careful...but I'm not very adept at DIY's...but you can do it if you look for the DIY and follow it....believe me, I didn't think I could do it , but I did. These forums are worth their weight in gold. You'll feel a sense of satisfaction after you successfully do it yourself............Chuck
Old 02-03-2007, 12:19 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
I don't have enough light to look at my engine, but when I got home it was REALLY starting to leak. It was smoking for a good 10minutes after I parked, and pretty fast dripping on on the ground.

I looked underneath and the coolant didn't seem isolated to any one part. There was coolant on the left-rear header pipe, and there was also a couple hoses right around there that were wet with coolant, and the drips came from a few different places. I popped the hood and I could see a couple spots where coolant was on top of the engine- perhaps splashed or sprayed there (?). The leak put coolant on the left side of the engine, but I can't be certain where it was from. If the water pump is on the left side, also- it seems like it could be just as likely a candidate. I thought I located the water pump, but it was dark - is it toward the bottom of the engine on the left?

Now I don't think I make it to AGA safely, considering how much it was leaking tonight. I don't want to risk it, so I may just take it to the dealer or A1 auto (they sell and fix porsches and other imports- can't remember their exact name, but it's right up the street on Mira Mesa).
You need to check your coolant level when cold, and top it back up before you go anywhere.

Or get AAA to tow you to AGA perhaps?
Old 02-03-2007, 09:08 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

leaking fast is never the coolant tank.
either the cap failed or the water pump failed or you damaged a hose
Old 02-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
leaking fast is never the coolant tank.
either the cap failed or the water pump failed or you damaged a hose
I agree. Usually, when there are large amounts of coolant escaping and there is evidence of coolant up in the engine bay and on the heat shields, the cap has failed. Water pump failures seem to be less frequent.

The cap has been redesigned, and costs less than $20. You might want to change this first.

If you replace the tank, you'll want to upgrade to the newer cap anyway.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:13 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

So the cap is a quick check:

New and old caps side by side here:

The new version (right) has been revised and will last many more years without dumping the coolant.

New part number should be 996 106 447 01 and lists for around $15.00
Old 02-03-2007, 01:32 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it turns out it's "just" a hose. That's cool and all, but boy what an annoyance. It's my only car, so I'm out of commision for now until I can replace this cheap part.

The name of the place up my street that I thought was "a-1" is actually AJ USA, which I guess has a nice facility up there, so I think I'll just have it towed (like 2 miles) and have them just do it for me. I'm just annoyed so I'll pay for the labor and have them take care of it.

Here is the culprit:
It's just resting against the engine, and actually isn't attached securly. There is a small diameter tube that comes out of that part of the engine that the hose clamps to, but that seems to have cracked and come off.

Didn't realize it was so blurry, but inside the hose is the part that it is supposed to be attached to. I was hoping to temp attach it to something, but there really isn't anything I can secure the hose to now.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:32 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I just hope it isn't the colant tank which I just had replaced less than 2 years ago.

Originally Posted by cdodkin
It's just extended mileage issues - **** happens I guess

get it checked/fixed before it goes all the way
Old 02-03-2007, 02:56 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

AJ USA are good - nice that they are so local to you.

How much coolant did you loose - any signs of overheating when you were driving?
Old 02-03-2007, 05:36 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
AJ USA are good - nice that they are so local to you.

How much coolant did you loose - any signs of overheating when you were driving?

I lost about a gallon from the day driving about 10miles total. It started smoking when I reached operating temp, but never went above between the "8" and "0". I live only a few miles from work luckily.

I believe that it was a crack in the fitting that the hose was attached to, and when I saw where it was leaking from and jiggled the hose, it broke the rest of the way (it just came right off with no effort). Now obviously I would lose a heck of a lot more fluid, since it's all the way off now.

I thought I could just jury-rig it to get to the shop, but the bracket the fitting was on has a metal piece coming from the side that is flush with the top of it, so I can't get the hose securely on it.

I drive by AJ USA everyday almost, can't believe I forgot about them and don't use them. They often have a nice Porsche or two for sale on display outside. I think I'm going to kill two birds with one stone and have them install an exhaust while they're at it. I would be happy with either Fabspeed or GHL, and for some reason it seems like I remember someone around here talking about having had a GHL installed at AJ USA. I looked on their site and don't see GHL listed, and they closed today at 1:00 so I can't call, but I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one if they have it.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak - help diagnose