Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Remanufactured Engines. What's done to them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Justin,
here is the actual, applicable verbiage, directly from the PCNA website, regarding this issue:

"The warranty periods begin on the day of delivery to the customer. The following periods apply:

4 years warranty for all new vehicles;

2-year warranty for genuine Porsche parts, exchange parts and accessories, which are used or sold outside of warranty work. The warranty period for Porsche parts which are used in connection with warranty work ends contemporaneously with the warranty period for the purchased item which has become defective;

3 years for the paintwork;

10-year long-life warranty against rust holes in the bodyshell. (please refer to the conditions in the Warranty and Maintenance handbook)"

http://www11.porsche.com/usa/accesso...rrantyperiods/
Old 02-02-2007, 12:40 AM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The replacement motor will have AT in front of the serial number. This means Austauschmotor or exchange motor. I spent a lot of time trying to get an answer from differing sources. Nobody will go on record as to what is new and what is not, but essentially everything is probably new except the crank and cradle. These are only used if they meet new specs, not wear tolerances. All indicated that the exchange AS motors have the newer design intermediate shaft. At least two sources indicated that the starter, PS pump and AC compressor can be rebuilt units since they are external replaceable units. (note: the 99 AT motor does not come with the AC compressor) This made my decision easy as whether to do a top end rebuild to fix a broken valve spring on a 96k mile motor. The cost of a new unit was not a big leap.

My "Austauschmotor 3,4L USA" was built on 26.11.2004 by Werner Billes and installed in my car in April of 2005.

We visually checked my AT motor carefully and found:
*new coil packs
*new fuel injectors
*new intake and throttle body
*new crankcase (indicated by casting marks)
*new heads
*new cam covers
*new starter
*new alternator
*new water pump
*new headers
*all new fasteners/hardware/hoses/harness
*new pulleys/idlers/etc.
*remanufactured PS pump (indicated by an X in the part number)
*crankshaft appeared to be new

In summary, everything appeared to be new except the PS pump. I would not loose sleep over the exchange motor...probably better than new

From the PCA website Joel Reiser writes:

"There is no such choice as a new vs rebuilt engine. Take the factory rebuilt engine, that is as good as a new one, and probably better, because someone at Porsche has gone through it (after 2002) and made the updates as needed. Porsche operates with an ISO-type continuous improvement process, so you want a factory rebuilt unit with improvements, not another possibly defective original unit that may have been collecting dust on a shelf for 4 years. I really don't believe they have such a stock, which is why I say there is no such choice, and if there was, it would not be a customer choice under a warranty claim.

I have not heard of any dealers doing the actual engine rebuilding anymore, that went out with the 993 model. I don't know your dealer, but perhaps only two or three in the country are really prepared to do a quality rebuild of a 996 engine, and even then it may not be cost-effective. All others simply install the replacement engines that come on a pallet from Porsche ready to go, and that is a win/win for everyone."

Last edited by StephenB; 02-03-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Stephen,
The "AS" is stamped on the engine cases in front of the M96xxxxxxxxxxx stamping?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin H. in Atl..
How did you go about getting the separate warranty for the engine?
I assume that the warranty in the auto business is based upon the same principle as in the "big yellow tractor" business. When you buy the original car, or have the original warranty transferred to you as the purchaser of used but still under factory warranty car, your warranty is the remainder of the factory warranty - 2 years or 4 years depending upon where you live in the world and the original new car warranty terms in effect there at the time of original purchase.

If a part fails, due to defects in material or workmanship, during this warranty period, it is repaired or replaced and the warranty runs until the end of the new car / or transferred new car warranty.

The only way to get a warranty on a specific items is to PURCHASE that item through the dealer parts department. It then carries the 2 year "parts warranty".

Let's say you have a chronic problem that fails at 3 years. Under the 4 year new car warranty, the first replacement is free. The second failure at 5 years is on you and you purchase the part from the parts department. it now carries a 2 year warranty. Your new car warranty expired at the end of 4 years.

In summary, you get a warranty with every new car or part you purchase. It you get a part under warranty, its warranty expires on the date of the original new car warranty or the parts warranty if it was a purchased part.

Now, is everyone confused enough?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Fred,
That is precisely the way I understand Porsche warranties to work, hence my question for Justin, as he appears to indicate the engine has a separate warranty even though the engine was installed under CPO warranty.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin H. in Atl..
Fred,
That is precisely the way I understand Porsche warranties to work, hence my question for Justin, as he appears to indicate the engine has a separate warranty even though the engine was installed under CPO warranty.
If the engine was replaced under a CPO warranty and was not purchased by the customer, I would presume that it only carries the warranty coverage of the CPO warranty.

I would happily wager a set of worn out track tires that the engine DOES NOT carry a separate warranty.

Cheers,
Old 02-02-2007, 02:09 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fred -

I called the dealership to check - it's covered until the end of the CPO warranty. I got some bad info before. Oh well

Cheers,
Justin
Old 02-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
If the engine was replaced under a CPO warranty and was not purchased by the customer, I would presume that it only carries the warranty coverage of the CPO warranty.

I would happily wager a set of worn out track tires that the engine DOES NOT carry a separate warranty.

Cheers,
That sux
Old 02-02-2007, 04:44 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
That sux
Not really....these engines are really well sorted out so getting a 2 year warranty on it, probably will not be of any use....just peace of mind.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by newport996
Not really....these engines are really well sorted out so getting a 2 year warranty on it, probably will not be of any use....just peace of mind.
That is true but that bit me in the @$$ when I bought my car. I passed on the 2-year warranty thinking my luck, the warranty would go out then things would break afterwards and I would be out of the $2000+. Well at about 18 months, my oil separator goes south. Lesson learned.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:55 PM
skideals
Intermediate

Does anybody know whether the engines hours stored in the ECU are reset to zero after a remanfactured engine is installed?
Old 02-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

The info in the DME is not changed when a replacement engine is put in.

Or, in my case, the DME was replaced on my 1997 Boxster about 2 years ago. After the replacement I had a 1997 with the original engine, with zero operating hours, and zero Range 1 revs.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 02-03-2007 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:34 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Kevin:

I corrected my previous post. It should have read AT in lieu of AS. I read Austauschmotor off the build sheet and got it mixed up. I just look at my engine and the AT is inserted between the engine type and the serial number. This is easily visible on the bottom of the engine (driver side).
Old 04-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by StephenB
The replacement motor will have AT in front of the serial number. This means Austauschmotor or exchange motor. I spent a lot of time trying to get an answer from differing sources. Nobody will go on record as to what is new and what is not, but essentially everything is probably new except the crank and cradle. These are only used if they meet new specs, not wear tolerances. All indicated that the exchange AS motors have the newer design intermediate shaft. At least two sources indicated that the starter, PS pump and AC compressor can be rebuilt units since they are external replaceable units. (note: the 99 AT motor does not come with the AC compressor) This made my decision easy as whether to do a top end rebuild to fix a broken valve spring on a 96k mile motor. The cost of a new unit was not a big leap.

My "Austauschmotor 3,4L USA" was built on 26.11.2004 by Werner Billes and installed in my car in April of 2005.

We visually checked my AT motor carefully and found:
*new coil packs
*new fuel injectors
*new intake and throttle body
*new crankcase (indicated by casting marks)
*new heads
*new cam covers
*new starter
*new alternator
*new water pump
*new headers
*all new fasteners/hardware/hoses/harness
*new pulleys/idlers/etc.
*remanufactured PS pump (indicated by an X in the part number)
*crankshaft appeared to be new

In summary, everything appeared to be new except the PS pump. I would not loose sleep over the exchange motor...probably better than new

From the PCA website Joel Reiser writes:

"There is no such choice as a new vs rebuilt engine. Take the factory rebuilt engine, that is as good as a new one, and probably better, because someone at Porsche has gone through it (after 2002) and made the updates as needed. Porsche operates with an ISO-type continuous improvement process, so you want a factory rebuilt unit with improvements, not another possibly defective original unit that may have been collecting dust on a shelf for 4 years. I really don't believe they have such a stock, which is why I say there is no such choice, and if there was, it would not be a customer choice under a warranty claim.

I have not heard of any dealers doing the actual engine rebuilding anymore, that went out with the 993 model. I don't know your dealer, but perhaps only two or three in the country are really prepared to do a quality rebuild of a 996 engine, and even then it may not be cost-effective. All others simply install the replacement engines that come on a pallet from Porsche ready to go, and that is a win/win for everyone."
How'd you get at this info?
Old 08-19-2018, 12:35 PM
Geoff Gray
AutoX

Great info, thanks

Quick Reply: Remanufactured Engines. What's done to them?