Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Remanufactured Engines. What's done to them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 02:39 PM
theonlyrobertson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remanufactured Engines. What's done to them?

If someone get's a remanufactured engine, is there a document that spells out exactly what Porsche does to the engine? Are known issues addressed and parts updated, etc?

Last edited by theonlyrobertson; 02-01-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:49 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reman. from Porsche? The engine is disassembled, the block is checked, then all new parts installed...including new updated parts, then tested thouroghly. Then sent out. This is usually a better engine than "brand new"....These engines are originally ones that failed the original testing process BEFORE the engine is put into a car. These are not "rebuilt" engines from cars that were sold and failed. When an engine fails at the factory its sent to be remanufactured and used for replacements.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:11 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It is my understanding from speaking with a PCNA manager when my car was going through replacement that Porsche does not recognize "remanufactored engines". They recognize replacement engines only. They may be ones that have been through a reman process, or could be one with no issue. They just take the right off the shelf and put them into whatever car. From what he told me they even do this to new cars meaning a new car could be getting an engine that has had things reworked. I am not certain I believe all of that, but FWIW that is what I was told by our regional PCNA manager.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:19 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Thats inaccurate....They do have 2 types of engines NEW and remanufactured....you can buy a new crate engine from Porsche.....so they must have more than one engine shelf....also for older cars like 3.4L 996's they dont put them in new cars.....she probably meant they dont have "rebuilt" engines and all warranty replacements are remanufactered...
Old 02-01-2007, 04:46 PM
itorque
Instructor

I just got my 03 996 motor replaced last week. I can tell you that if you put this motor next to a brand new motor you would not be able to tell them apart. It is absolutely perfectly clean from every aspect (rubber, bolts, plastic, alternator, case finish, air filter housing, etc). In fact I find it hard to believe that there is one used part on it. If the case was ever used they sprinkled some magic dust on it to make it look absolutely brand new. I was told though that it was a porsche "remanufactured" engine. Because of the way it looks I would bet that this motor falls into the category of never being in a car but no way to know for sure. It did come in a crate from Germany as I saw them open it up.

Although I only have 50 miles on it and cannot go over 4000 RPM it feels strong and tight at this point.

I have some pictures but dont have my card reader here so will post later.
Brad J.

Last edited by itorque; 02-01-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:50 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Of course they do not put a 3.6 in the car that originally had a 3.4. I figured that was clear. So now I am faced with a PCNA regional manager possibly lying to me about their classifications of engines. Great.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:00 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blk on blk
Of course they do not put a 3.6 in the car that originally had a 3.4. I figured that was clear. So now I am faced with a PCNA regional manager possibly lying to me about their classifications of engines. Great.
Not lying, maybe misunderstood, or confused......
Old 02-01-2007, 06:04 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by itorque
I just got my 03 996 motor replaced last week. I can tell you that if you put this motor next to a brand new motor you would not be able to tell them apart. It is absolutely perfectly clean from every aspect (rubber, bolts, plastic, alternator, case finish, air filter housing, etc). In fact I find it hard to believe that there is one used part on it. If the case was ever used they sprinkled some magic dust on it to make it look absolutely brand new. I was told though that it was a porsche "remanufactured" engine. Because of the way it looks I would bet that this motor falls into the category of never being in a car but no way to know for sure. It did come in a crate from Germany as I saw them open it up.

Although I only have 50 miles on it and cannot go over 4000 RPM it feels strong and tight at this point.

I have some pictures but dont have my card reader here so will post later.
Brad J.
Yes it was never in a car.....read my post...they build the engines, test them, if they pass they are put in new cars, if they fail, they are disassembled...the block is examined to make sure its not the problem, if it checks out ok...they build an engine with this block with ALL NEW parts, test it again. if it passes, these engines are used as remanufactured replacements. They never get installed in a car, and they never leave the plant. The reports are these engines are usually stronger and have less problems....
Old 02-01-2007, 06:10 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

This raises a question I had, actually, as someone who just got a replacement engine in November. My car is under CPO until June, and the engine until Nov. 08.

If I were to sell the car, the CPO is clearly transferrable... I was assuming the engine warranty is as well, can anyone confirm that's the case? I've inquired elsewhere, but it's always nice to hear it from an authoritative search like RL

Justin
Old 02-01-2007, 06:17 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

there is no engine warranty...it expires with the car....if you bought it outright, you would have a 2 year warranty on the engine. Just like any other warranty repair, once the CPO warranty expires, you are no longer covered.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Justin,
my understanding of how Porsche warranties work is that if a repair is conducted under a Porsche warranty, the repair, parts and labor, are warranted for the remainder of the warranty period of that warranty.

If a repair is done outside of a Porsche warranty, the repair, parts and labor, is warranted for 2 years/unlimited miles.

I have heard of exceptions to this, however. I have heard that PCNA agreed to some customer's demands to provide the 2yr warranty on replacement engines which were installed late in the factory warranty period. But it took adamant requests by the customer to PCNA to get it done, and this was some time ago when the majority of engine failures were happening. All second or third hand info of course, so YMMV.

When PCNA "goodwilled" the engine replacement in my Boxster (warranty had expired) years ago, the SM told me it had the 2yr/unlimited miles warranty, although I had no specific paperwork stating that.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:31 PM
itorque
Instructor

Originally Posted by newport996
Yes it was never in a car.....read my post...they build the engines, test them, if they pass they are put in new cars, if they fail, they are disassembled...the block is examined to make sure its not the problem, if it checks out ok...they build an engine with this block with ALL NEW parts, test it again. if it passes, these engines are used as remanufactured replacements. They never get installed in a car, and they never leave the plant. The reports are these engines are usually stronger and have less problems....
Yep, even though I am in the break in stage I can really feel a difference up to 4krpm. This is my 4th porsche but first water cooled motor so I dont have much experience with them but my old 996 motor that was replaced had a funny power shift at about 3200 RPM. I got used to it but always felt that it was the variocam doing its thing- abruptly. This motor does not have this and has, based on the little I have driven it, a smoother power band up to 4k. Hard to explain but I like it. It really feels great. This may have just been a quirk with my old motor though.

Last edited by itorque; 02-01-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:03 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Seems like I have two conflicting answers here

The work was done under CPO by the local dealer. But since the engine has its own warranty now, separate from the CPO, I'm hoping that will also transfer...

Confused and Yours,
Justin
Old 02-01-2007, 10:07 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Unless you have from PCNA in writing your engine will be covered for 2 years...it is only covered by your original warranty.....so when that ends...NOTHING on your car is covered including your engine. You can hope all you want, but its not covered.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by justinmm2
The work was done under CPO by the local dealer. But since the engine has its own warranty now, separate from the CPO, I'm hoping that will also transfer...
How did you go about getting the separate warranty for the engine?

Quick Reply: Remanufactured Engines. What's done to them?