Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

99 r nice...... but if i can do it again......at least an 02
Old 01-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a black "99 Cab with 85K. I've only had it for about a month, but everything so far has been great, except for the obligatory expansion tank replacement.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Mitty
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shouldn’t buy a 1999:
The interior is a bit plasticy. The amber lights (can be changed with $$). If you find one with an original engine try to get an extended warranty, I had to replace mine due to a main bearing failure and the intermediate shaft was leaking a little. It was $9k to replace, the warranty covered $8k. Now I have a ’99 with an engine that was built by Porsche with all the fixes already done (quieter timing chain for example). I too replace the coolant tank, but that’s a DIY project.

Should buy a 1999:
Price, weight, 1st water cooled 911 (could be worth something in 50 years (grasping at straws here)). The interior update from the previous 911s is what really made the decision for me since mine is a daily driver. The 993 is an awesome car but I think the amenities the 996 has to offer as a daily driver did it for me. My 11 year old and 8 year old fit in the back.

The general consensus is to get an ’02 or greater because of the engine/interior/exterior updates and HP increase, but I’d buy a ’99 again if that is what I could afford (which it was).
Old 01-19-2007, 10:36 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitty
Shouldn’t buy a 1999:
The interior is a bit plasticy. The amber lights (can be changed with $$). If you find one with an original engine try to get an extended warranty, I had to replace mine due to a main bearing failure and the intermediate shaft was leaking a little. It was $9k to replace, the warranty covered $8k. Now I have a ’99 with an engine that was built by Porsche with all the fixes already done (quieter timing chain for example). I too replace the coolant tank, but that’s a DIY project.
The 1999 leather interior I looked at recently was plain nice, the plastic interiors I have seen haven't bothered me. I ain't all that fancy you see. The tailights don't phaze me either....orange, white - whatever. That damned toasted motor problem has come up again though

Originally Posted by Mitty
Should buy a 1999:
Price, weight, 1st water cooled 911 (could be worth something in 50 years (grasping at straws here)). The interior update from the previous 911s is what really made the decision for me since mine is a daily driver. The 993 is an awesome car but I think the amenities the 996 has to offer as a daily driver did it for me. My 11 year old and 8 year old fit in the back.

The general consensus is to get an ’02 or greater because of the engine/interior/exterior updates and HP increase, but I’d buy a ’99 again if that is what I could afford (which it was).
I love it...buy a '99 for the collectability. I'm pretty sure after I'm done daily driving and tracking this car for 10 years, it will be none too collectable. I have a long commute and just *love* running the he77 out of my cars. Use 'em up I say! As far as the 993/911 interiors go...I love 'em. The pedals work better if they hinge from the bottom and the old style intrument cluster is a work of art IMHO.

Thanks though for your perspective, Also thank for you ~100K mile guys for piping up. Cancels out a couple of the bad motors.

Quick Reply: gettin' it on