Sponsored by:

gettin' it on

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 03:47 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default gettin' it on

So the time is drawing ever closer to my selling the 911 I have built over the last ten years, and buying a 996.

As you can see from my thingie on the left there I signed up many years ago, but never really posted, (edit - I didn't realize this was in fact my FIRST post) I did however spend HUGE amounts of time over on the Pelican Parts air cooled forum - 985 posts. Great forum, great people, but to my eye the liquid cooled action is on Rennlist.

The 911 I've built has become too much of a beast to daily drive, and now that I have little kids and an all consuming career. I am lucky to be able to get to the track or autoX site three times per year. Maybe a tour thrown in here and there and I'm managing to put on about 1000 miles per year. That's just not enough Porsche quality seat time, so here I am, looking to sell the 911, and researching the 996.

I think I have the picture pretty much in focus.The 3.4 litre cars are good value, but carry more risk than the 3.6 litre cars.

In all cases, the RMS issue is under control, and worst case scenario, the motor comes out, a new style seal is fitted, and the while you're at it do the clutch.

I gotta say i'm more edgy about the grenading motor problem though. I fully realize that the problem is magnified by the internet, but it's not like it's unheard of. I guess the worst case scenario is a $10K reman install, and while expensive, it wouldn't be the end of the world and the upside is a fresh start with a *bulletproof* motor. Still that sucks and I'll go on record asbeing disappointed in Porsche.

So after all that, I'm actually leaning towards a 1999 car, mostly for the value for $, but also because I have an aversion to drive by wire....perhaps that's stoopid, and it will acually be harder to work on a cable equipped car or whatever, but the drive by wire systems I have (limited) experience with have been *jerky* for lack of a better word.

So questions:

1) What kind of high mileage 3.4 litre cars are hanging around on this forum?

2) What about the transmission bearing failures I hear about?

3) Why shouldn't I buy a nice 1999?

By the way - you're smilies are a welcome change after years of Pelican!

Last edited by jasper; 09-16-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:17 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome back... er, again... or... oh hell... just Welcome. Nice looking 911!

Most here will tell you to buy the newest car you can comfortably afford, which is pretty sound advice. Check out AutoTrader to get an initial idea of the listing (asking) price of various year models and try to narrow your search that way first. Then you can start looking at the model year(s) to find some cars you would be interested in acquiring. Once yo have narrowed the field, you can post some questions here about any "pros" or "cons" for that model year.

Good luck with your search!
Old 01-18-2007, 10:42 AM
ruckmjr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel bad for anyone that has had a problem, but buying a 99 doesn't mean that you'll have trouble. Internet generated hysteria. The 99 is an incredible car - lightest of the model and without many frills. Mine has 60 some thousand miles and no issues, never has. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:49 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have put on over 15,000 miles on my 99 in the last year & am closing in on 75,000... still going strong.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome. There is nothing wrong with getting a '99, but as Tim mentioned I'd get the latest example you can afford.

Here is a mileage thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/317888-highest-mileage-996-who-s-got-the-highest-mileage-car.html

Good Luck!!
Old 01-18-2007, 12:30 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Out of curiousity, why does everyone say the remanuf. engines are bulletproof? My dad says the same thing, and I consider him very much "in the know" when it comes to these sort of things.

Is it just the statistics of having two engine failures (despite not having hard numbers, we know the percentage is very low, even if there isn't a consensus on what 'very' constitutes)? Is it the warranty? Or are these engines somehow manufactured differently?

Justin
Old 01-18-2007, 01:13 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Early engines had QC failures with the block, such as 'intermix' and slipping cylinder linings.

Later or replacement/remanufactured engines have fewer of these issues, and from MY 2003 onwards the above block issue may have gone away to the point of being highly improbable.

RMS is a potential issue with any 996/997/986, but is a PIA, not an engine killer.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Einstein
Instructor

buy an extended warranty.

my Camry is 100% drive by wire and is smooth as silk. I suspect P is just a good or better drive by wire.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Einstein

my Camry is 100% drive by wire and is smooth as silk. I suspect P is just a good or better drive by wire.
Hey, there can be no mentioning of a Camry on a Porsche forum.

No problems with my '99 since the RMS in year one!
Old 01-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Einstein
Instructor

i hear you! cant wait to get rid of it!
Old 01-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have a 2000 with 86k miles, nothing major to speak of, just the stupid oil separator went south.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:23 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Einstein

It is extremely difficult, if not impossible to get a warranty on a 1999 Porsche I
believe....
Old 01-18-2007, 02:59 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am sure the 99's are fine cars and all, but for me I just much prefer the 2002+ mainly due to the appearance changes. performance wise I really do not care, but I just do not like how much the 1999-2001 looks exactly like the boxster. Actually looking like the boxster is not as much an issue as I do not really like the looks of the 1999-2001 911 or the boxster. One looking like the other has little to do with it. I acknowledge though this is merely a matter of taste for me, and has nothing to do with whether or not they are quality cars.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:15 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the welcome and the replies gents - I will be keeping you all posted on my progress. A couple of points:

1) lightweight is a huge priority for me. I'd take the heating elements out of a set of heated seats if I thought there was a gram of weight reduction to be gained. If I hear correctly that the 99's are lighther, then that strengthens my resolve.

2) I'm in Vancouver Canada, but intend to bring acar over from the USA. There's a full $10K to be saved this way after the taxes and duty are paid. With that in mind, I'll likely be asking for advice on go indy shops to perform PPI's. Thanks in advance for the help there.

3) I've been on Craigslist and Autotrader so far, and it looks to me that good low mileage 1999 models are available primarily in CA and FL for a hair under $27 - 28K. Naturaly there are $25LK cars out there too, but I have to assume there is a relationship between the price you pay and the condition of the car.

4) I would love a 3.6 litre car, but from what I've seen I'd have to stretch the budget a little more than I want in order to get a good one. As far as the headlights go, I think I prefer the earlier style. Call me crazy, go ahead, lot's of people do.

5) On account of my being in Canada, I figure any kind of warranty i sworthless. I'll be on my own but I've got a good indy shop near to me with 996 experience so I'm prepared.

First thing first though....I gotta sell the 911. Anyone interested? It has webers and cams and JE pistons, and 964 brakes and elephant a-arm bushes and big torsion bars and 8&9 inch Fuchs and SSI's and..and..and...

I have a buyer lined up for the spring.

tttfn
Old 01-19-2007, 03:09 AM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

100,000 miles and running strong here. It's a great car and lots of fun. The 3.4 is an excellent engine so don't worry about losing too much by not having a 3.6.

Quick Reply: gettin' it on