Sponsored by:

Battery Maintainer Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Battery Maintainer Question

Just connected the Porsche Charge-O-Mat to my C4S. The cord fits relatively comfortably under the door which closes tightly over it. I know this has been posted in other places, but reassure me that I won't damage either the door, paint, or the rubber sealing molding under the door where the cord snugs against. Do most of you who use chargers over the winter run them through a slightly open window and just switch off the interior lights? I'd do that, but once I Zaino her for the season, I want to put on a cover - not a great idea if the cord's running down the side of the car.

Thanks for any input on this -- Phil
Old 01-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Thegman
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't sweat the cord, the rubber gasket/seal won't damage it. Your battery will last at least 5X longer than if you just let the car sit without a tender. Don't drive away in the Spring with it plugged in though. That could get messy....
Old 01-17-2007, 06:00 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Thegman
Don't sweat the cord, the rubber gasket/seal won't damage it. Your battery will last at least 5X longer than if you just let the car sit without a tender. Don't drive away in the Spring with it plugged in though. That could get messy....
Yeah, that could present a slight problem. BTW, this is the first time I've used the tender - the battery is an OEM Porsche battery, only one year old, and has been started and run a couple of times per week. How long should it take to fully charge - it's been on for around 8 hours and still showing that it's charging.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

could take as long as a couple of days to charge up.......and there is always a draw, so it will always be lit up.........
Old 01-17-2007, 06:24 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gretch
could take as long as a couple of days to charge up.......and there is always a draw, so it will always be lit up.........
Will it really? I've been hooking up my Porsche maintainer because the weather's been so cold in LA. When I went out to the car yesterday (the car had been hooked up for a few days), I noticed that the red light on the plug had turned off.

Thanks - Sean
Old 01-17-2007, 06:31 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCab996
Will it really? I've been hooking up my Porsche maintainer because the weather's been so cold in LA. When I went out to the car yesterday (the car had been hooked up for a few days), I noticed that the red light on the plug had turned off.
Same with me on my 06 997s....GR
Old 01-17-2007, 07:13 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I plug mine in every saturday to a trickle charger - just takes a few hours to top up the battery.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

FWIW

I have used the Porsche charger plugged into my Porsches for the last 9 years. When first plugged in the light will be illuminated. Over time, the light will go out as the battery has reached its necessary charge. After a few days or a week, the light will illuminate again as the battery has been drawn down by all of the parasitic loads (ECU, radio memory etc.). After a day or so the light goes out again. The cord has no problem passing the door seal on the bottom of the door. the seal is complaint enough to accommodate it without permanent deformation.

Now just sit back and wait for the good weather.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT GO OUT AND START THE CAR AND LET THE ENGINE IDLE IN PLACE FOR "EXERCISE". IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO DRIVE SUFFICIENTLY TO WARM UP THE GEARBOX, DON'T DRIVE IT AT ALL.

Cheers,
Old 01-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

After cycling the "mode" button, the charger has been on for >24 hours and still showing the 2 lights - one for the "car" icon, and the other for the 1/2 full battery icon. I would have expected the battery to be fully charged by now. Should I be concerned or is this normal (I've heard the first time you do this it can take 2 or more days to fully charge.) Do the lights go off, or should I get the light with the "full battery" icon??
Old 01-18-2007, 06:27 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Phil - great thing about trickle chargers is that they charge slowly - so don't be concerned.

Depending where your battery was when you started, it could take days.

Every time you open your car door to check, you're probably putting it back a day because of the interior lights!
Old 01-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

I'll do my best not to keep checking it - and will NOT open the door!
Old 01-18-2007, 06:54 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Phil G.
I'll do my best not to keep checking it - and will NOT open the door!
A watched Porsche never charges....
Old 01-18-2007, 07:45 PM
zose
Advanced

I put the charge-o-mat on my car and my battery is due for changing. It took 3 days to charge up, and I actually went back out and was curious that it hadn't gotten full yet, so I hit the mode button and cycled the charger off, then back to the car mode and when I did that it switched from the half full battery to the full one.

So my suggestion would be to go through the mode button again and just see if that happens to change it. I'm not sure why mine didn't just kick over by itself. Regardless it seems to be working
Old 01-18-2007, 10:12 PM
kappa88af
Advanced

Question Do I need to charge?

Please forgive me. I have never heard of these vehicles needing to be charged. If I were to drive a couple times per week, do I need to put my battery on charge?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:16 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by kappa88af
Please forgive me. I have never heard of these vehicles needing to be charged. If I were to drive a couple times per week, do I need to put my battery on charge?
No - you are absolutely fine

The people using chargers are either leaving their vehicles for prolonged periods of time without use, or wasting their money on another gadget because they are **** about their cars.

Either way, you sound like you're in the clear and can save your $$$ for something else.

Quick Reply: Battery Maintainer Question