Sponsored by:

Battery Maintainer Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 10:20 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCab996
Will it really? I've been hooking up my Porsche maintainer because the weather's been so cold in LA. When I went out to the car yesterday (the car had been hooked up for a few days), I noticed that the red light on the plug had turned off.

Thanks - Sean
Sean, you make me smile.

I know it's been 'cold' here in SoCal for the locals, but really, your Porsche will be fine.

It is designed to work perfectly well in far lower temps than you've experienced, and there is absolutely no need to use a charger on your battery in this case.

Really, people who live North of us, or in colder countries, are laughing right now at our cold snap, and the way the locals react.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:14 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Sean, you make me smile.

I know it's been 'cold' here in SoCal for the locals, but really, your Porsche will be fine.

It is designed to work perfectly well in far lower temps than you've experienced, and there is absolutely no need to use a charger on your battery in this case.

Really, people who live North of us, or in colder countries, are laughing right now at our cold snap, and the way the locals react.

I know, I know, I sound like a sissy. I grew up in Michigan so I've lived through real cold, so I know I am sounding annoying to anyone in truly cold regions right now. I originally bought the maintainer because my battery was draining, but that turned out to be an ignition problem later fixed under warranty. I hadn't hooked it up for over a year and never had a problem. But...a week or so ago, my battery was very weak. The car had sat for two weeks while we were on the road for the holidays. The battery was surprisingly too weak to start the car and the battery is only one year old. I noticed that I had left my cell phone cord plugged in, but without a cell phone attached. I was a little surprised, but not too worried, so I hooked up the charger.

And yes, I waste money on a lot of gadgets, and not just for the Porsche
Old 01-19-2007, 02:19 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlackCab996
And yes, I waste money on a lot of gadgets, and not just for the Porsche
Me too! - I'm adicted to GIZMODO.com
Old 01-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by zose
I put the charge-o-mat on my car and my battery is due for changing. It took 3 days to charge up, and I actually went back out and was curious that it hadn't gotten full yet, so I hit the mode button and cycled the charger off, then back to the car mode and when I did that it switched from the half full battery to the full one.

So my suggestion would be to go through the mode button again and just see if that happens to change it. I'm not sure why mine didn't just kick over by itself. Regardless it seems to be working
Cycled the charger using the mode button and viola! It now shows fully charged. Thanks for the tip!!

Phil
Old 01-19-2007, 06:57 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Cycled the charger using the mode button and viola! It now shows fully charged. Thanks for the tip!!

Phil
Phil, I hope you didn't open that door?
Old 01-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Just connected the Porsche Charge-O-Mat to my C4S. The cord fits relatively comfortably under the door which closes tightly over it. I know this has been posted in other places, but reassure me that I won't damage either the door, paint, or the rubber sealing molding under the door where the cord snugs against. Do most of you who use chargers over the winter run them through a slightly open window and just switch off the interior lights? I'd do that, but once I Zaino her for the season, I want to put on a cover - not a great idea if the cord's running down the side of the car.

Thanks for any input on this -- Phil
Phil, if you run your fingers under the car door, you'll feel a notch in the rubber seal that runs along the bottom. My understanding is that notch is precisely for the purpose of the battery maintainer's cord. As others have mentioned, it can take days for the battery to fully charge. After all, it's a trickle-charger.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:19 AM
limgroov
1st Gear

hey guys. thanks for the tips.

been checking around to find out the best solution to keep the battery charged, and read the charge-o-mat seems to be the easiest and hassle free.

just plugged mine in for a couple of days, stayed at "half battery," so i cycled it, and it shows green light! we're a go!
Old 01-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Phil, I hope you didn't open that door?
You kidding me? Won't even go near the handle.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:10 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

I'm looking for a maintainer/tender and was wondering if anyone knows who has the best bang for the buck charger? I was thinking about the ctek, should it be the 3300 or 3600? Who has the best prices? Or should I just get the oem one for 120?

thanks

Quick Reply: Battery Maintainer Question