Sponsored by:

failed smog test

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 04:06 PM
lisa
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default failed smog test

Hi everyone, I have a 1999 996 with headers, chip, cat bypass, and fabspeed exhaust. Anybody know of a way to get it passed the smog without having to revert everything back? In the Sacramento area?
Thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 05:13 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is your Check Engine Light on??
I am not sure about CA but here in MD they only connect the car to their computer, and if the OBD2 system is OK you will pass. I had back in the day a 00' Mustang GT with no cat at all and I still passed because I had installed O2 sensor cheaters. Maybe you could get something like that for your 911
Old 01-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default You'll win the lottery before that car would pass CA smog...

Originally Posted by lisa
Hi everyone, I have a 1999 996 with headers, chip, cat bypass, and fabspeed exhaust. Anybody know of a way to get it passed the smog without having to revert everything back? In the Sacramento area?
Thanks
Unles the items have CARB compliance their presence will (should anyhow) cause the car to fail smog simply at the visual inspection stage.

The penalties for trying to sneak cars through that would otherwise fail smog are pretty severe.

In fact, my info is -- about a decade or so out of date -- is that the shop that did the mods for you could be liable as they're not supposed to be applied to a road car, only a vehicle intended for off-road (track) use. Some years ago I approached a shop about custom headers for my car (not a Porsche) and the guy accused me of being an uncover agent for CARB. Seems he was busted for doing custom though non-smog compliant exhaust systems by a I guess CARB sting operation and was paranoid and quite reluctant to risk doing any more. I didn't know that what was asking of him was illegal but as soon as I understood the situation I decided to let the car continue with its stock exhaust system. (I had removed the stock carb and substituted dual side draft Webers, along with installing a hot cam, high-compression pistons, etc.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:19 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

You can probably pass if you put the cats back on. Did you run the car hard before arriving to the smog station?

Originally Posted by lisa
Thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 05:24 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

If in CA they perform a visual inspection you will have to get the cats back on...
Old 01-09-2007, 05:39 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

At a minimum I would, as others have said, put the cats back on. The rest will be fine.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:40 PM
malammik
Racer

Did u consider not using this set up so that your car does not pollute as much or is that of no concern to you?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:33 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Lisa, I just passed smog with my 99 996. It has B&B mufflers and headers plus an EVO cold air induction system. I went to Stewart's Automotive. They specialize in British, Italian, and German cars. I highly recommend them. They are in downtown Sacramento and their phone number is 916-731-7023. I'm sure that you will have to put the cats back on to pass. Good luck. Mark.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

just curious.... if one had on the 100 cel cats on will it still pass smog with headers and muffler and chip? and does anyone know how good are the Dansk cats? will they throw a cel?
Old 01-14-2007, 06:53 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
You can probably pass if you put the cats back on. Did you run the car hard before arriving to the smog station?
+1 one or find a hook up.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:38 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
If in CA they perform a visual inspection you will have to get the cats back on...
No ifs about it. You will have to have the cats and any other smog equipment that shows in the diagram for the emission system.

Quick Reply: failed smog test