Sponsored by:

Indy vs Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 10:32 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Indy vs Dealership

I'm sitting in my MB indy shop and the pricing is not far from the dealership. My question to you folks is, what do you expect to get from an Indy shop? Example, better prices, better service, better quality, etc...

I'm going to tell you right now that I expect cheaper prices same technical service!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:36 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i can see my car while they servicing it!
Old 01-05-2007, 11:10 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Initially I'd also expect lower pricing but same technical skills which I've to agree seams to be hard to believe when I look at my last repairs. However, what I experience now with Porsche of Tysons Corner in NOVA (Porsche PREMIER DEALER!) is below any indy service level.

I brought my car to them on Wednesday at noon (pre-agreed timing) to check the CEL code 0420 that is supposed to be related to the left cat bank (8 year warranty) and to date (Friday) they have not even touched my car. It's parked outside in the rain on their lot. No call, nothing. I had to call them yesterday afternoon to remind them that I'm still waiting for my car.

So I guess at least an indy cares more about his customers.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:10 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
I'm sitting in my MB indy shop and the pricing is not far from the dealership. My question to you folks is, what do you expect to get from an Indy shop? Example, better prices, better service, better quality, etc...

I'm going to tell you right now that I expect cheaper prices same technical service!
I think it depends on what sort of indy shop you are talking about. If it's a race/repair shop I would expect the hourly rate to be every bit as much and maybe more than most dealerships. I would also expect much better mechanics. The best and briightest figured out a long time ago they could make more and have more fun on their own. If you think you're going to go to a Racers Group, Kelly Moss, EuroSport Synergy or even AutoEdge (where I go) and save a bunch of money you're nuts. The value you get for your money will be better though.

If by Indy you mean the local german car shop you might be right.
Jim
Old 01-05-2007, 11:28 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Damn, they are the ones who told me $150 for the alignment.

Originally Posted by hwk72
Initially I'd also expect lower pricing but same technical skills which I've to agree seams to be hard to believe when I look at my last repairs. However, what I experience now with Porsche of Tysons Corner in NOVA (Porsche PREMIER DEALER!) is below any indy service level.

I brought my car to them on Wednesday at noon (pre-agreed timing) to check the CEL code 0420 that is supposed to be related to the left cat bank (8 year warranty) and to date (Friday) they have not even touched my car. It's parked outside in the rain on their lot. No call, nothing. I had to call them yesterday afternoon to remind them that I'm still waiting for my car.

So I guess at least an indy cares more about his customers.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:32 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

No I mean, Porsche Indy. I'm at a MB indy now, bored. Folks who only work on a particular brand is what I mean by Indy.

Originally Posted by JimB
I think it depends on what sort of indy shop you are talking about. If it's a race/repair shop I would expect the hourly rate to be every bit as much and maybe more than most dealerships. I would also expect much better mechanics. The best and briightest figured out a long time ago they could make more and have more fun on their own. If you think you're going to go to a Racers Group, Kelly Moss, EuroSport Synergy or even AutoEdge (where I go) and save a bunch of money you're nuts. The value you get for your money will be better though.

If by Indy you mean the local german car shop you might be right.
Jim
Old 01-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd expect a level if informality and relationship that you don't get at a dealer. Also, going to the dealer is a PITA, it's always a big production. Dropping the car off at my local guy on my way to work is a much more relaxing proposition.

That's for my BMW though. The Porsche always goes to Rusnak. It's a pain in the ***, but then again, so is parking...
Old 01-05-2007, 12:58 PM
screameleons
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think at the indy shops you get a little more personal with the techs. You should really check out Taylor at auto sport system group. He took the time out to show me what he was working on and overall he was very informative. Being able to get under the car while its on the lift and have someone experienced show how things work probably doesnt happen at the dealership. They are a good group of guys that really care about what they do.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:18 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I expect better service from the indy. Vincent, I have used ASG for over 10 years and they meet my expectations, not cheaper, but better. I even had Taylor change the oil in my BMW even though it was free under dealer warranty. Two very bad experiences at the BMW dealer...

Quick Reply: Indy vs Dealership