Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Another Starbucks incident - this time with PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 03:18 PM
tdub
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if someone already mentioned it but you always want to park next to another nice car if there is a choice. Chances are that the other driver is also as **** about his car as you and will be very careful when opening his door.

tw
Old 01-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the laugh guys.

I think you are giving the SUV driver more credit that he deserves. He probably didn't notice the car next to him was not a Camry. He probably was happy at having parked his car inside the line so he has no more cares.

If you let yourself worry about people invading "your" space when they are still on their side of the line then you'll be the one having a heart attack.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Jayv911
Track Day

Maybe the guy really loved his truck and figured the only place in the lot that no one would open their door into him was next to the Porsche?
Old 01-04-2007, 05:54 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tdub
I'm not sure if someone already mentioned it but you always want to park next to another nice car if there is a choice. Chances are that the other driver is also as **** about his car as you and will be very careful when opening his door.

tw
That wouldn't be a sure bet, I don't trust anyone, I'll trust the bush or the corner curb.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

What a comment on humanity when we'd gladly take a bush over our fellow humans.

Granted, although there's a lot of sarcasm in my "obvioius disdain" comment, he did actually just sit on the patio and stare at me while I slithered my way inside the car. I suppose I deserved it, much the same way a person who leaves his front door unlocked deserves to have his plasma TV stolen, but still....
Old 01-05-2007, 12:04 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
..... What always seems to get overlooked.....is that humans, and mammals in general, are pack animals. We thrive under the safety in numbers philosophy. I've noticed people parking close to me whenever I've parked off in the distance whether I was in my Porsche, BMW, or even the cherirshed VW Corrado SLC of olden days.....

It's peculiar because the same instinct is reversed in bathrooms. That's right, go into any bathroom with multiple urinals and go about your business. Almost without exception, fellow stallers will stand as far away as possible from you.....
These two are actually some what related. If you drive a sports (sporty) car, people merely "suspect" that you have a small *****. However, if you stand next to another guy at the urinal, and the guy next to you happens to glance your way, he will KNOW that you have a small *****... and if that guy starts to chuckle, then ALL of the other guys in the bathroom will also KNOW that you have a small *****.

It's better to be "suspected" of having a "half pint" than to be KNOWN for having a "half pint!"
Old 01-05-2007, 03:50 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Idiot SUV drivers will use the parked car on their right to gauge the width of the parking spot they're trying to enter; because they're used to taller cars as reference, the lower your car, the closer they're gonna park. So, if the SUV's passenger side is really close to your car then they're just bad drivers; if the driver's side is closest to your car, then they're simply arseholes -- and if they're right in the middle, they're both.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nutbeem
......I suppose I deserved it, much the same way a person who leaves his front door unlocked deserves to have his plasma TV stolen, but still....
Now you are paranoid. The other driver does not know you, does not care about you, does not know your doors are longer than the average and really does not know that you are so worried about getting a ding.

I have had to open the windows on my car one time, let off the handbrake and push it out of a parking space in frankfurt airport to get into my car. However I cannot assume the other drivers were being cruel to me personally. They probably had a plane to catch, dumped their cars in the available spaces and unknowingly created a problem for me.

Maybe you should post your rules for parking lots to help SUV drivers and other learn:
1. at least one space each side of your Porsche should be left free,
2. the following types of cars may not use the car park at the same time as you,: SUV's, pick-ups, anything with rust, and, most important, anything with body damage,
3. All others using the car park at the same time must have an advanced drivers certificate (including parallel parking) and take at least two Porsche sensitivity pills one hour before entering the parking.

did I miss anything?
Old 01-05-2007, 10:44 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
These two are actually some what related. If you drive a sports (sporty) car, people merely "suspect" that you have a small *****. However, if you stand next to another guy at the urinal, and the guy next to you happens to glance your way, he will KNOW that you have a small *****... and if that guy starts to chuckle, then ALL of the other guys in the bathroom will also KNOW that you have a small *****.

It's better to be "suspected" of having a "half pint" than to be KNOWN for having a "half pint!"
Tim, I seriously just lost it in my office. I mean, full on LOL. Everyone thought I was crazy. Your post is one of the funniest things I've read in a while!!!!!!

and
Old 01-05-2007, 10:46 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
I feel that if I back into a spot it will draw more attention to the car.
Incidentally, I vaguely recall reading somewhere that backing your car in lessens the chances of theft since a would-be thief is in fuller view while 'rigging' your vehicle.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:16 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Shouldn't we care more about driving than parking our cars?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:42 AM
tdub
Instructor

Originally Posted by hwk72
Shouldn't we care more about driving than parking our cars?

Parking is not for the faint of heart!

TW
Old 01-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Irishdriver
Now you are paranoid. The other driver does not know you, does not care about you, does not know your doors are longer than the average and really does not know that you are so worried about getting a ding.

I have had to open the windows on my car one time, let off the handbrake and push it out of a parking space in frankfurt airport to get into my car. However I cannot assume the other drivers were being cruel to me personally. They probably had a plane to catch, dumped their cars in the available spaces and unknowingly created a problem for me.

Maybe you should post your rules for parking lots to help SUV drivers and other learn:
1. at least one space each side of your Porsche should be left free,
2. the following types of cars may not use the car park at the same time as you,: SUV's, pick-ups, anything with rust, and, most important, anything with body damage,
3. All others using the car park at the same time must have an advanced drivers certificate (including parallel parking) and take at least two Porsche sensitivity pills one hour before entering the parking.

did I miss anything?
I'll get that printed on a roof top sign that I can set up every time I park. Across two spaces. Backed in. By the bush.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:05 PM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

I guess this has already been stated, but I don't see anything wrong with how the SUV driver parked.

1. He's probably not an enthusiast and to him your car is no different from the Hyundais he parks next to every day.
2. He probably had to park somewhat far away from the bush so he could exit his own vehicle. Honestly, unless you're 300lbs, it shouldn't have been THAT hard to get into your car.

Most people want to park as close to their destination as possible. I want to park so I have less of a chance of someone parking next to me and so there is less of a chance someone will walk by my car and accidentally scratch it. So I end up parking in some end spot in the boondocks and enjoying the walk.

Never, ever, ever EVER park across more than one spot. You're just ASKING to get keyed if you do something that blatantly rude.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:16 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Several years ago when I was much younger and I didn't have an appreciation for pcars and such. I was guilty of a "close parking job". In return I got the following business card on my wind screen.

"Thank you for parking so close. Next time, please leave a f**king can opener, so I can get in. People like you should take the bus" Thank You....

I kept the card in my wallet for years until I was on the recieving end of such a parking job...

Quick Reply: Another Starbucks incident - this time with PICS!