Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Another Starbucks incident - this time with PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 02:18 AM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is funny
Old 01-04-2007, 02:47 AM
Jyoder240
Intermediate

It's good to see i'm not the only one who parks in the back of the parking lot regardless of the weather. You guys are just as bad about it as I am!
Old 01-04-2007, 02:55 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just park in middle of 2 spots next time when you are in an empty lot.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:49 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What a Dick... I usually back in as far out as possible. Along a curb if there is one.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:03 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just gave up....try to park where one side is not a parking space and just hope for the best....all the other things gave me heartburn..or ache...or.....
Old 01-04-2007, 07:17 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 553 Posts

You guys need to get some rental cars and wait for him to park, get out, and go inside. Then park on either side of his vehicle so close he can't get back into it.

A third guy can bring his 9996 as bait, then pull out shortly after he gets there and the rental cars can pull in.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:27 AM
peachboy
Racer

Dear Forum Members, there is a much much easier solution to all of this....STOP drinking overpriced coffees
Old 01-04-2007, 11:55 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I've read with great interest all the parking lot stories on Rennlist. What always seems to get overlooked (with the exception of newport996's post) is that humans, and mammals in general, are pack animals. We thrive under the safety in numbers philosophy. I've noticed people parking close to me whenever I've parked off in the distance whether I was in my Porsche, BMW, or even the cherirshed VW Corrado SLC of olden days. It boils down to the 'follow the leader' principle espoused by newport996.

It's peculiar because the same instinct is reversed in bathrooms. That's right, go into any bathroom with multiple urinals and go about your business. Almost without exception, fellow stallers will stand as far away as possible from you. Indeed, can you imagine walking into a bathroom with 5 urinals and standing right next to the guy standing all the way to the left (so as to reduce this likelihood by 50%)? It's crazy, fellas, I tell you. Just crazy.

So the moral is, you only take the parking space/urinal next to another driver/pisser when all other options are exhausted. Pass the word.

P.S. - Don't even get me started on sitting in stalls and having a conversation with the person in the occupied stall next to you!
Old 01-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Rick, gotta agree that you failed at P-car parking 101.

Never leave yourself in a more vulnerable situation than you already are by being in a public parking lot. Always take the open corner spot and park with the passenger side against the curbside if there are bushes. In your case, that means backing into the corner space. If you're carrying a passenger, then drop him/her off first before parking.

I always follow this same routine whenever possible, and I've never had a door ding at a parking lot.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:40 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nutbeem
Cway, although I greatly respect the opinion of anyone driving a 964, the greatest of the air cooled Porsches, you're off the mark here. Here's why:

1. I didn't take the bush spot because I hate having to open the door INTO the bush, thereby endangering both my paint and my clothing. I expected that the plentiful spaces on either side would provide the protection needed.

2. Actually, it may not look it, but I'm almost dead center in my space. Mr. SUV is almost ON his line, displaying CLEAR contempt and disdain for the pcar.

Indeed, I should have taken ANOTHER shot from the rear, which would have more clearly showed this most shocking example of his malicious intent!
As you and everyone who ever watches "C.S.I." knows, you need to carry around a full tool kit with you, with the little number markers and rulers that you place on the ground before taking the picture. This way you could reliably prove in a court of law that you were, in fact, parked in the geographical center of the parking spot as you allege in your affidavit.

I also have to take issue with your statement that Mr. SUV is displaying clear contempt and disdain. You state, he is "almost" on his line. Well, I think most here would agree, if he had actually parked on the line then the disdain would be most evident. As it is, he is within said boundaries, and besides, you ever try to park a fookin' SUV? Geez, you can't see crap out of those things! Hell, you should be happy that he didn't trample some of the foliage as he maneuvered that ozone depleting, global warming, baby seal killing monstrosity in the parking lot.

Michael
Old 01-04-2007, 12:49 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CWay27
By looking at your pictures, I see alot of wrong things and unfortunately they are not towards the SUV guy.

1- Always find a parking that minimize your chances of getting ding. I would of taken the spot next to the bush, atleast you reduce your chances by 50%.

2- You are not dead center in your own spot. Looks lke alot more room on passenger side then driver side. If SUV does the same thing towards your car, for sure it will reduce the space to get in your car.

It sucks but in your situation, you couldn't of done anything since he is well within is spot.
I had the same thought. I see a corner spot I dive for it instinctively. Sometimes I don't pull in all the way so that the next guy's driver side door is closer to my front fender than my passenger door.
Also, I try and park as close to that curb or bush as possible. Obviously I exit from the passenger side. A little inconvenience can save you an expensive repair.

Sometimes I skip the parking lot altogether if parking is available on the street. I did that this weekend at a WHole foods lot where I noticed all of 8 inches between cars. The missus thinks I'm psycho, I should show her the $3,500 quote I got for color matching a new front bumper and one fender from a top rated shop.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:04 PM
choeglund
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe the SUV guy was protecting himself from dings. Good odds for him in this case. And he parked close to line to leave room to get out on the side by the bush.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:20 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hillarious!

Originally Posted by mbergeron
Dear Forum Members, there is a much much easier solution to all of this....STOP drinking overpriced coffees
Old 01-04-2007, 02:36 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
...Also, I try and park as close to that curb or bush as possible. Obviously I exit from the passenger side. A little inconvenience can save you an expensive repair...
Why not back in and exit from the driver's side?

If Becca is with me, I'll let her get out if I'm pulling in close on the passenger side. She doesn't mind, because she knows she will get picked up at the door, on the way out.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:13 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel that if I back into a spot it will draw more attention to the car. I try to avoid that in an unattended parking lot.
Parking lots are just a bad scene...

Quick Reply: Another Starbucks incident - this time with PICS!