Sponsored by:

Oil leak (not RMS) with pics...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 05:57 PM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak (not RMS) with pics...

First off... this site has provided unmeasurable assitance and guidance (lightnening of my wallet mainly for mods and a healthy track addiction...) I normally don't post much but have had a re-ocurring problem and would greatly appreciated some feedback...

Some history...

4 months ago - Oil leak started at the track when part #99610723752 hose gave up.... (see pic #1 and #4) This is the hose located just below the oil seperator. The back end of car was coated in oil... Needless to say that after numerous black flags (for smoke) my weekend was cut short as there was no way to repair this hose at the track and my "cleaning" was not helping.....

3 1/2 months ago - Car gets dropped off at my Indy, part replace for the 1st time . Car leaks again within 1 week at the hose.

3 months ago - Car gets dropped off at my Indy, part replace for the 2nd time, oil seperator replaced. Car leaks again within 1 week at he hose.

2 months ago - Car gets dropped off at my Indy, part replace for the 3rd time.
Car leaks within 2 weeks at the hose.

Last month - Car gets dropped off at Indy, part replaced for the 4th time, multiple tests performed (oil dyed to follow leak, leakdown test, spark plugs inspected). Car started leaking at the same spot again ysterday.... (see pic #2, spot on ground, and pics #3 and #5 taken this morning for the actual leak location)

No track time since leak occurred.

Several questions....
1. Is this hose a common problem?
2. Is this hose really that difficult to replace or do I need a new Indy(this could be a stupid question?)?
3. Has anyone on this board had this problem (the leak not the Indy)?

I leave for the big track at Willow Springs on 1/13 and 1/14 and have grave concerns that the problem I had last time will re-occurr and have me leaving early once again.

I have had thoughts of , giving my Indy the and , as well as multiple moments of . I can deal with most problems once or even twice, but four times and I'm beyond frustrated to say the least....

Turning rant off...

Thanks.
Attached Images      
Old 12-31-2006, 06:14 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are calling that a hose? Typically a rubber piece like that is used for airflow or a CV Boot.

Anyway, are you parked outside, it could be rodents chewing their way in, especially if it's happening in the exact same spot of the hose.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:19 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

YOu need a new shop. they are tearing the hose when they install it, usually happens if you attempt to use 2 spring clamps to secrue the bellows (your hose) without unbolting and lifting the oil seperator for instalation. You can install the beloows with out undoing the sperator, but you need to use a screw clamp on the top.

yes it is a comon failue on older 996s , plan on doing one every 5-6 years, noe every 5-6 days though

and unless im mistaken in your last picture it looks like the top of the bellows isnt even on all the way could just b the angle though
Old 12-31-2006, 01:06 PM
pchak
Pro

A $12 part in one of the most awkward places. Definitely need a new shop, though. With a 6 speed, you can almost replace it yourself. I found out (the hard way) that it's next to impossible to replace it on a tip. My indy had a heck of a time with it as well.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:44 PM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

A new Indy and finally................
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2007, 06:49 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Good for you! I noticed that the new indy used a screw type clamp instead of the original spring clamp. I wonder how much this had to do with the original tear in the material?
Old 01-15-2007, 08:33 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

using 2 spring clmaps is a pita, its almost impossible to use 2 spirng clamps with out removeing the sperator. Usually I use the spring clamp on the bottom and the screw clamp on top, still tricky becasue as you tihten the screw clamp in tends to twist and i have seen cars come back becasue people cut the bellows with the screw clamp.
Picture looks good though nice and square, you should be good to go
Old 01-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Polar996
Rennlist Member

Does this leak need to be fixed ASAP. I've noticed this leak for over a year now. Suspect it's coming from the bellows too. And if I'm getting this replaced, should I get the oil separator replaced too?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this hose on the right side top of the engine?
I ask because I have a leak from the left side.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:55 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Originally Posted by Polar996
Does this leak need to be fixed ASAP. I've noticed this leak for over a year now. Suspect it's coming from the bellows too. And if I'm getting this replaced, should I get the oil separator replaced too?
You can replace just the bellows, if theres nothing wrong with the seprator i wouldnt worry about it

unless its a tip aznd the shops going to pull the negine just to change the bellows
Old 01-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

brad,
I can't say enough how much I appreciate your help on this forum.
Gaining real insight from a hands-on pro is awesome. Some day I'm likely to have a spot of oil show up on the floor there and I'll know what's up. Thanks man.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:45 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

donations can be made to
www. bradsbeerandtoyfund.com
Old 01-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Old 01-15-2007, 11:03 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Theres nothing wrong with using the OEM clamps on both ends, I never use screw clamps on that hose. Its almost tacky, if you ask me... Anyways, if you use the little blue tool that holds the clamp open to install the top clamp, its a breeze to get it on straight. I should mention when I replace the bellows I replace the clamps as well.

However, to each his own.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:22 AM
LJpete
Pro

What side of the motor is this hose located on?

I just noticed a condensation oil trail on the passenger rear side of the motor near the Exhaust.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Quick Reply: Oil leak (not RMS) with pics...