Anyone use Durametric software?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 04:52 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 936 Likes on 567 Posts
Default Anyone use Durametric software?

I'm thinking of adding the Durametric software to my new for Christmas laptop which I already use the VAG-COM software for my VW- Audi vehicles. I've been happy with the VAG-COM system and want to see if there is a sizable group using the Durametric material as there is the VAG-COM- I haven't found any forums yet devoted to its use.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Several guys have commented on it so you'll want to do a search on that. Also, Loren over at Renntech.org has tested the software for them so check in with him as well.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:33 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SKL - I use both the Rosstech VAG-COM software for Audi/VW and the Durametric for my 996. They are very comparable for the types of things they can do...ie clear CEL lights, read error codes etc. If you like the Rosstech VAG-COM, you like the Durametric software also....can't go wrong!!!
Old 12-21-2006, 06:08 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Durametric is probably the best available for a reasonable price (without going for an actual Porache diagnostic tool like PST2 or PIWIS)
Old 12-21-2006, 07:16 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 936 Likes on 567 Posts

thanks guys...another late Christmas present to myself...
Old 12-21-2006, 09:38 PM
eurotrashed
Instructor

I like that they keep updating the software, I emailed them a couple questions and they responded right away. I haven't had any codes to look at yet, but it is fun to geek out and look inside the brain of your 996.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got it.
Haven't istalled it yet, but I have a CEL on, so I will this weekend.
I really hope there is a button that says "turn current CEL off" and that it is not hyper-complicated to work.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:27 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a button to clear codes. I picked it up for my mechanic and installed it in my comp as his hasn't arrived yet. It is very easy to use, but you have to be patient while the comp loads up the info from the ecu. Once that is done, you just get into all the programs.

I e-mailed one of the guys at Durametric and asked the difference between the Pro kit and the Enthusiast kit other than ordering the cables ala carte. i was told the Pro kit has unlimited usage while the Enthusiast kit can only do 3 cars and won't do anymore.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:55 AM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
I e-mailed one of the guys at Durametric and asked the difference between the Pro kit and the Enthusiast kit other than ordering the cables ala carte. i was told the Pro kit has unlimited usage while the Enthusiast kit can only do 3 cars and won't do anymore.
I read that on their website but I believe you must have misinterpreted. The enthusiast kit can do up to 3 different models, not individual cars. Even if they could record the car it has been used on, here's no way to stop someone from loading it on another machine/reimaging their existing and using this on 50 cars. The cables are specific to certain generations, therefore one type may be good for up to as many as three different models.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:14 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Howerdel
I read that on their website but I believe you must have misinterpreted. The enthusiast kit can do up to 3 different models, not individual cars. Even if they could record the car it has been used on, here's no way to stop someone from loading it on another machine/reimaging their existing and using this on 50 cars. The cables are specific to certain generations, therefore one type may be good for up to as many as three different models.
I clarified by model and they told me it logs the VIN. So, if it logs more than 3 VINs, it won't work on the 4th car. Since this is for a shop, the extra $200 for the Pro kit is worth it. Nothing like working on a 4th car and you can't pull codes. I kept wondering if that was BS, but why take the chance?
Old 12-23-2006, 02:11 PM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
I clarified by model and they told me it logs the VIN. So, if it logs more than 3 VINs, it won't work on the 4th car. Since this is for a shop, the extra $200 for the Pro kit is worth it. Nothing like working on a 4th car and you can't pull codes. I kept wondering if that was BS, but why take the chance?
Well, anyone can download the software, but it's useless without the hardware. I could load it on 3 different laptops and be able to use it on 9 different cars. Or, I could use an old laptop and reimage th OS if I need to use it on a another machine.

The point I'm making is that it's not impossible to use it on more than 3, it's just inconvenient.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:12 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just reading up on a possible durametric buy and was wondering about this "3 model" limit. So is the vin stored on the laptop? or in the cable? IE: if i buy a used cable where the PO used the cable on 2 cars but do a fresh install of the software on my computer i get 3 new cars? Your post was the only one I can find that deals with the "3 car" limit. Any info would be appreciated.
TIA
Old 05-10-2008, 07:07 PM
kunkstyle
Racer

I would assume it's stored in the software, not the cable. I can't test the theory without re-formatting my laptop however.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:30 PM
ralundy
4th Gear

The VIN is stored in the cable assembly and it does limit you to three cars.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I don't understand why you would want to "steal" the Durametric Software.
This is the most inexpensive/powerful Porsche OBD II tool - ever.
Any diagnostic tool that can do more than the Durametric software costs thousands of dollars.
Give these folks some credit for providing us DIY'ers with a great tool at a reasonable price. The last thing I would want to see is them driven out of business by folks stealing (or cloning) their product.

(Loren steps off his soapbox now)

Quick Reply: Anyone use Durametric software?