Sponsored by:

Seat stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 09:19 PM
CaseyH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat stuck

I recently purchased a set of brand new 996 seats off of eBay. The driver's side seat is stuck in the forward position, and I can't seem to get it back to the position so I would be able to sit in it. The passenger side works fine. They are electric seats...but when I press the plastic ***** on the sides the seat doesn't change position. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Casey
Old 12-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by CaseyH
I recently purchased a set of brand new 996 seats off of eBay. The driver's side seat is stuck in the forward position, and I can't seem to get it back to the position so I would be able to sit in it. The passenger side works fine. They are electric seats...but when I press the plastic ***** on the sides the seat doesn't change position. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Casey

Sounds like someone has had the switch over off and not replaced it correctly. It it truly is dead and not moving you can check it out by placing a knife down each side of the switch and pulling them outwards to remove the cover - do it carefully, as there are two springs that are on each side of the switch that seat into the holes in the cover. Replace everything and if you're lucky you'll get everything back in place and all will work well.

While you have the cover off you should be able to move the seat by moving the switch mechanism with a pencil or other appropriate device, just to prove that the switch is still alive.

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2006, 10:11 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

or a bad seat swith they do fail on occasion
Old 12-18-2006, 11:20 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

First things first, did you check the fuse?
Sorry if it's a silly question, but you never know if you missed the simplest thing sometimes...
Old 12-19-2006, 12:27 AM
CaseyH
Pro

Maybe I should have been slightly more specific in my original post. My seats aren't installed in my car yet, right now they are just sitting in my living room. The seat back rest is stuck in the forward position, where it would be so that stuff behind the seat would be accessible. I don't think this has anything to do with fuses, as I can move the passenger seat back rest forward and then back to the original position.

The seat is stuck forward in this position:

Old 12-19-2006, 09:09 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Nothing wrong. That is how my wife's seats look when I remove them to put in her GT3 seats for track weekends. The seat was "power" reclined forward and then removed. The manual latch up high does nothing more than move a more reclined seat forward to access the rear. However, if it is "power" reclined forward the manual will not be available to you.

Hope that made sense. When you hook up the harness to the car you should be able right away to move it back with the power button.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:04 AM
CaseyH
Pro

Alright, thanks. I just assumed that if I could move it on the passenger seat manually, that I would be able to on the driver's seat as well.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2006, 10:09 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

No problem.

Only reason I know that is I went through the very same thing the FRIST time I reclined the seat forward and couldn't use the manual latch.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:23 PM
CaseyH
Pro

How far forward does the seat "recline"? My seat is all the way forward, and it seems odd that the seat would power recline that far forward, as it is impossible for anybody to sit in it's current position. Does the seat actually power recline that far forward?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Sure does. For the very reason I stated I am sure.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:34 AM
CaseyH
Pro

Before I install my seats, I would just like to test them out to make sure that is the problem. Not that I don't trust you Dell, but I don't want to have to take them out again if it turns out that isn't the problem. Anyway, there are tons of wires underneath the seats, which color wire would I need to hook up to my battery just to test the power recline?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2006, 08:45 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Not sure about a single wire. you will need to hook up the wiring harness. I sure hope that "ton of wires" is housed in a harness.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:56 PM
CaseyH
Pro

Haha, yea it is.

Just for further clarification, here is a side view of the stuck seat. Why would Porsche let the seat recline this far forward?
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2006, 07:03 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

so you can get in the back seat.

looks perfectly normal to me......
Old 12-23-2006, 07:07 PM
CaseyH
Pro

I just thought it was odd the seat power reclined that far forward. I just wanted to verify. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Seat stuck