Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Console Deletion: relocating heated sweat switches ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Console Deletion: relocating heated sweat switches ?

Guys,

I've ordered a central console delete kit (GT3 style) and was wondering if someone w/ heated seats had done this before... Where did you relocate the heated seat toggle switches to ?

Back behind the shifter, where the window switches are or up around the radio ? Was there enough wiring to reach either location or do you have to splice it ?

I'll find out for sure when I dig in, but I'd rather be ready with extra parts (if necessary) before the car is all torn apart inside...

Thanks !
03 996 if that matters.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:12 PM
David in VA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have a Boxster with heated seats which had the switches in the console rear of the ashtray. I'm pretty sure it's the same part on a 996, my coupe has two blanks there that would work. As for the length of the wiring, can't help you there.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

I put heated seat in my 996 cab, and the wires go through the door sills to the front, I think this is the case with a coupe. With boxsters the wires can go directly to the blank switch covers behind the ashtray, although I think the stock location is on the lower console. It would be easy to put extensions on the wires and run them along the rear console to the blanks behind the ashtray. However, you would have to fun them under the carpet where you are removing the lower console to hide them. Check out www.dennisvogel.com and look for his boxster section/heated seats. It has wiring diagrams, pictures etc. that should help you on this.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:42 PM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 178 Posts

Really hate to drag this up from the depths of the forum but I also hate to start a new thread for the same exact topic. Has anyone ever come up with a solution for this? Was going to just cut and splice some additional wire to extend the switches. Unless someone has a more clever option...
Old 09-30-2021, 12:56 PM
Idaho911
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

I moved mine to the bottom two buttons on the dash when I did my console delete. The wiring is *just* long enough to reach without having to cut/extend anything.

Here's a crappy picture:

Last edited by Idaho911; 09-30-2021 at 01:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Idaho911:
Charles Navarro (09-30-2021), imhighlander (08-16-2022)
Old 09-30-2021, 03:01 PM
jdbornem
Pro

Received 497 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam-Son
Really hate to drag this up from the depths of the forum but I also hate to start a new thread for the same exact topic. Has anyone ever come up with a solution for this? Was going to just cut and splice some additional wire to extend the switches. Unless someone has a more clever option...
I didn't want to splice anything. 1/4" spade connectors fit into/onto the existing wiring harness connectors quite well, and I did that to extend the connection down to the blanks behind the ashtray.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:37 PM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Idaho911
I moved mine to the bottom two buttons on the dash when I did my console delete. The wiring is *just* long enough to reach without having to cut/extend anything.

Here's a crappy picture:
I have a feeling mine will not reach that far. They have just enough lead to fit the stock location

Originally Posted by jdbornem
I didn't want to splice anything. 1/4" spade connectors fit into/onto the existing wiring harness connectors quite well, and I did that to extend the connection down to the blanks behind the ashtray.
Clever. Will try that
Old 01-03-2022, 10:51 AM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Bringing this back. I made my own loom with spade connectors to extend the wiring to reach behind the ashtray. Now I have an odd problem. The heated seats are on anytime the vehicle is running. I marked everything off to be sure it went in the correct spot. Anyone have a diagram of the connector? Any ideas what might be going on here?

Old 01-04-2022, 01:06 PM
rich_r
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Bringing this back. I made my own loom with spade connectors to extend the wiring to reach behind the ashtray. Now I have an odd problem. The heated seats are on anytime the vehicle is running. I marked everything off to be sure it went in the correct spot. Anyone have a diagram of the connector? Any ideas what might be going on here?
Did you put the correct amp fuse back in?

Originally Posted by Idaho911

Here's a crappy picture:
Tidy! I'm looking to do the same.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:49 PM
Idaho911
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by rich_r

Tidy! I'm looking to do the same.
VERY tidy, and I like how it fills out the blank switches.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:30 PM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rich_r
I didn't touch any fuses.

My issue is that it is now on all the time.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:33 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,136 Posts

Unplug both your extenders from the main harness. Plug the switches back into the harness, one a a time and check for proper operation.
Proper operation: there's a wiring mixup in the extender.
Does not work correctly: There's a problem with the factory wiring or the switch.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:35 PM
rich_r
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I didn't touch any fuses.

My issue is that it is now on all the time.
Reason I mention this is that I accidentally put a lower amp fuse back into my heated seats (after a DRL mod) and the heated seats would come on randomly.

As mentioned above, remove the harness and go back through the steps to isolate the issue.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:53 PM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Will do that and report back
Old 01-05-2022, 10:56 AM
Jedi Apprentice
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Debating on doing this to my 40AE. I love the look, but will lose out on my magnetic phone mount that's clipped on the side. Any other screws underneath to mount that to?

Quick Reply: Console Deletion: relocating heated sweat switches ?