Sponsored by:

need help choosing a air intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Kolshak
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HWK - his cost was $360 for the MAF??
If you had contacted K&N and sent them your MAF they probably would have replaced it for free.
Keep it in mind if it happens again anytime soon.
I have also noticed a slight power interruption on rare occassion - thought it was in my head.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:42 PM
rleeq
Racer

The KN intake is a POS and any price is too much for a POS. I don’t have any experience with EVO but looking at pictures of this intake both installed and out the box it looks to be a better built unit. Performance gains if any would be same for both units since their designs are very similar.
I’m in the market for a EVO intake.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:57 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kolshak - thanks for your feedback! I actually argued with the Indie about contacting K&N but finally agreed that K&N will probably not admit that their CAI damaged the MAF. Someone can always say that the MAF is a consumable and it's a coincidence that it got damaged after the replacement of intake. Have you been able to get the MAF replaced by K&N?

Yes, the Indie assured me that his price for the MAF was $360 and I did also talk to Porsche. They named an amount of $600 for a new MAF incl. replacement. I even thought that I read here about a retail price north of $400.

rleeq - I agree that the EVO looks more solid. I just started my research too late. Today I'd also go for the EVO but as I said, some did also experience the blown MAF with the EVO.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:27 AM
Kolshak
Racer

MAF's are very delicate but can last a long, long time. The engineers @ K&N are aware the 63 series is prone to blow them out, and they will take responsibility. Once you get beyond the front line customer service people (where they just tell you to to unhook your battery for a couple hours and everything will be fine) the customer service gets much better.
The engineers are actually concerned about K&N's reputation, fixing your problem and they do stand behind the product. I sent my blown MAF in for testing and they gave me a new one.
Because of the incredible mark up on P-parts I can believe your indie's price was 360 (depending where he got it) but I know you can get it much cheaper. Regardless, good luck with everything now.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:39 PM
jamie645
Advanced

Originally Posted by dallasboats
Ok, this was such a pain in the ***, I don't even feel like trying to summarize but here goes, I ordered the kit, removed my fabspeed, started the assembly of the KN product (assembly is overly difficult), noticed at about step 8 or 9 that a single but very specific bolt was missing that allowed the new unit to mount to the C clamp to the chassis of the KN, this bolt had special threading but otherwise looked like similar sized bolts. Once I realized this was a stopper, I noticed a few other parts down the line were missing too. I put everything away and called KN the next day. What do I get? A complete smartass on the phone, he asked what parts were missing as if it wasn't likely. I told him the bolt was easy to identify but that some of the multiples of parts missing were not because the parts list was difficult to interpret. His words, "the kit is not difficult, maybe you should get someone else more mechanical to install it." I was complaining about the instruction set and the fact the parts were not clearly identified. Anyways, once I listed off about three items, he stopped me and questioned for my receipt. He indicated it was hightly unusual to be missing so many parts and offered no apology just wanted the receipt. He then indicated he would send a new complete parts bag (there are a lot of small parts) upon receiving confirmation I'd paid for the KN unit.

Next day arrival of parts, I'm pleased until I open the new parts bag, begin to start again, and notice the first specific bolt I mentioned was missing again. All of the other parts were there. I called them back. This time spoke to a different person that was very apologetic and pleasant. She offered to overnight the missing bolt again and seemed very sincere. I told her I'd go to the local Autozone and try to buy the bolt myself as I was tired of having my car disassembled. I found the bolt with the special threading that finally allowed the C clamp to be mounted.

The rest of the kit was a joke, use this piece of metal hangar here, drill this hole, hang another piece of cheap metal, etc. The overall impression of the kit is, it works and it works better than the fabspeed. It has a bunch of unfinished parts and the assembley is overly complicated but I still like the results. KN, I have no idea how they survive with service such as that. The tech, I hope he get's some manners before he insults others, I'm still in disbelief he insulted my intelligence and then was wrong again. What a JOKE>

Oh yea, forgot to mention, I'm an ex process engineer..........................
(Sorry, I meant to quote this in my earlier post)
Why did you want to take the fabspeed off in the first place?

Quick Reply: need help choosing a air intake