Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

need help choosing a air intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006 | 06:44 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

yes.... p-car tends to have shocks on the tougher side...... back to the KN cai..... anyone with experience with this?
Old 12-13-2006 | 11:16 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

The K&N actually costs 600$, since their oil drenched filter will most probably cause your MAF to go bad.
Total K&N cost : 295 $ for the CAI + 300$ for new MAF.
K&N filters and Porsche MAFs don't really work well together. K&N has known about this for years, but they're just in the market for the money. So good luck with their 'customer' service. Their main task is denial and avoidance of claims.
Once you buy that piece of ****, you're stuck with it.
Mine is on the Forsyth County, GA landfill if you're interested to pick it up.
From an ethical point of view, I could not convince myself to sell it to another Porsche owner.
Old 12-14-2006 | 12:20 AM
dallasboats
Pro

Yes, mine was CAI 63 too. You are right about the service, they pretty much called me a Moron but repeatedly failed to ship the missing components. How do you screw up two times in a row with an insult to boot? I'm still blown away by this, however, the product works even though it's cheap, and has a lot of homemade parts that look ridiculous but function. It's as if the product never went beyond prototype. You get what you pay for, perhaps.........................
Old 12-14-2006 | 02:39 AM
JERSEY996
Banned

EVO IT IS CAN ANYBODY TELL WHERE I CAN GET THE BEST PRICE ON THE EVO INTAKE
Old 12-14-2006 | 10:59 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Jersey, they have a holiday discount on their site right now if you create a user profile. It's something like 120 buckeroos off the MSRP.
Old 12-14-2006 | 11:36 AM
JERSEY996
Banned

THANK NYCEBO
Old 12-14-2006 | 07:44 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

I've had the K&N 63 series on my car for about 7 months and absolutely no issues. With the K&N 63 series intake and a pair of Fabspeed mufflers my car gained 22 hp at the wheels (about 25 flywheel hp) on a Dynojet. I don't know if you will get the same gains with an EVO intake. I can't get anyone to post an independant dyno.
Old 12-14-2006 | 08:11 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

22hp....... no way... . that sounds too good to be true..... it's awesome if that's true....... can you post your dyno please.........
Old 12-15-2006 | 08:58 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Guys, the dynos are worthless. There are just too many factors that go into this garbage. Instead, I'd rather see some times between the traps from 30-50mph, 50-70mph, 70-100mph in the same gears and see if there's a noticeable difference there. Of course, I've not seen anyone do that.

Mind you, I'm not against freer flowing intakes and exhausts per se, just against these nebulous and poor construed figures spouted about all over the forums.
Old 12-15-2006 | 09:23 AM
jmchris01
Instructor

Let me get this straight, it's either a K&N for under $300 with posted SAE dyno results in excess of 22 rwhp or the EVO at $595 (or $476) with no substantiation or claim of HP increase. Sounds like an easy choice. My theory...no Dyno...no Deal. I can make claims all day long about how changing a thing or two will increase HP, but as long as I'm not obligated to provide proof, I can say whatever I want and let these boards deal with the aftermath.

Also, what is your goal...better sound, increased power or protecting the manufactures warranty? If it's the first, by the Schnell, if it's the second, then the K&N is your ONLY choice, if it's the third...leave the car stock. Besides, the minute you bolt on a set of hair dryers or an ECU you might as well burn the warranty...Porsche will never repair a car with engine damage that has aftermarket add-ons. They are a business, albeit a passionate one, with no intentions on opening up Pandora's box to warranty anything other than Porsche OEM.

And what difference does it make whether you’re a "process engineer" or a pizza man. It's still your opinion. And as an Engineer you should know that the claim isn't worth the paper it's written on unless you can validate it with a controlled test and reproducible evidence. I have double majors in both Computer end Electrical Engineering, Six Sigma Black Belt Certification, ITSMF Masters certification, BSM, TQM, Deming and Crosby experience with ISO training....that doesn't make me qualified to say the K&N is junk and to promote the EVO, nor does it change the basic underlying observation...NO DYNO...NO DEAL! As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't give you two dirty nickels for the EVO until they back their product with scientific results.

It proves that EVO has recognized that us Porscheafilies are so eager to extract more power out of our cars that we will leap at just about any new glitzy product that shows up on the market. If you are serious about improving the performance of your car, put the money into a good set of headers, exhaust and ECU tuning....now that's money well spent!

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-15-2006 | 01:24 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

JMC, even you'll admit that the products look virtually identical. I would imagine that 'any' 'proveable' performance increase would be in the same ballpark.
Old 12-15-2006 | 02:25 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Chris,

As I mentioned before, there's one of your wonderful K&Ns on the Forsyth County, GA landfill. Yours for free if you can find it amongst the other garbage.
Old 12-15-2006 | 02:54 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Originally Posted by nycebo
Guys, the dynos are worthless. There are just too many factors that go into this garbage. Instead, I'd rather see some times between the traps from 30-50mph, 50-70mph, 70-100mph in the same gears and see if there's a noticeable difference there. Of course, I've not seen anyone do that.

Mind you, I'm not against freer flowing intakes and exhausts per se, just against these nebulous and poor construed figures spouted about all over the forums.
Dynographs aren't worthless when they're performed on the same dyno with the same settings and the same car to compare before and after mods. Pretty darn useful actually. I'd like to see somebody accurately tune a programmable engine management system without one (a dyno that is).

As far as 02's dyno which shows a 22 hp improvement in just such a case being "nebulous" - I'd say thats quite a stretch. How can you ask for more documentation than a before and after dyno? Is the issue that fact that he did two mods (intake and exhaust at) once?
Fabspeed only claims 10-12 hp(best case scenario and at the crank I'm sure) for their mufflers. So where do you think the extra 10-14 wheel hp came from? AFAIK Evo has no data to support that their intake alone does a damn thing as far as hp goes.
Old 12-15-2006 | 03:17 PM
dallasboats
Pro

Originally Posted by jmchris01
Let me get this straight, it's either a K&N for under $300 with posted SAE dyno results in excess of 22 rwhp or the EVO at $595 (or $476) with no substantiation or claim of HP increase. Sounds like an easy choice. My theory...no Dyno...no Deal. I can make claims all day long about how changing a thing or two will increase HP, but as long as I'm not obligated to provide proof, I can say whatever I want and let these boards deal with the aftermath.

Also, what is your goal...better sound, increased power or protecting the manufactures warranty? If it's the first, by the Schnell, if it's the second, then the K&N is your ONLY choice, if it's the third...leave the car stock. Besides, the minute you bolt on a set of hair dryers or an ECU you might as well burn the warranty...Porsche will never repair a car with engine damage that has aftermarket add-ons. They are a business, albeit a passionate one, with no intentions on opening up Pandora's box to warranty anything other than Porsche OEM.

And what difference does it make whether you’re a "process engineer" or a pizza man. It's still your opinion. And as an Engineer you should know that the claim isn't worth the paper it's written on unless you can validate it with a controlled test and reproducible evidence. I have double majors in both Computer end Electrical Engineering, Six Sigma Black Belt Certification, ITSMF Masters certification, BSM, TQM, Deming and Crosby experience with ISO training....that doesn't make me qualified to say the K&N is junk and to promote the EVO, nor does it change the basic underlying observation...NO DYNO...NO DEAL! As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't give you two dirty nickels for the EVO until they back their product with scientific results.

It proves that EVO has recognized that us Porscheafilies are so eager to extract more power out of our cars that we will leap at just about any new glitzy product that shows up on the market. If you are serious about improving the performance of your car, put the money into a good set of headers, exhaust and ECU tuning....now that's money well spent!

Merry Christmas!

You are an idiot. Read the posts, I'm not declaring anything about the EVO or the KN in terms of dyno. I even stated the product works, I like it, I said that time and time again. Can you read? I only listed my experience with the product installation which was problematic and the responses from KN. I'm not declaring KN is better or worse. I was just sharing what happened to me in particular last month when I bought one. Have you purchased any of the products yourself? Again, I'm not claiming anything you pompous DOLT>
Old 12-15-2006 | 03:29 PM
dallasboats
Pro

Originally Posted by jmchris01

Merry Christmas!
I still can't beleive you wrote this, do you go into arguments *** first on a regular basis? I have many performance products, all that you've mentioned and more. Also as stated a dozen times now, I think the kn product works. I only shared my experience and commented on the fit and finish of the product. Is it still on my car? Yes. Am I going back to the previous fabspeed? No, I'm not.

Quick Reply: need help choosing a air intake