Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Put a Cold-Air kit on a "cold natured" car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 02:15 PM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Put a Cold-Air kit on a "cold natured" car?

I know that a cold-air intake kit will keep the coolest air going into my engine. The problem I have is, my Pcar is very "cold natured". If I put one on it, will it just make it run sluggish for that much longer?

Would it be worth the extra down-time to heat up to reap the benefits later? Most of the time here it is fairly warm, it is cold around three months of the year. The way it is now, factory; it usually takes around 2 mins. idle then 2 mins. running for it to get just rite.

It can be sluggish till then, when you push accelerator it bogs-down for a split second(nothing wrong with car, they all do it even my banger). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the help so far from this awesome site.

I never get in and just go. I try to let her warm up as long as I can each time. Just don't want to be setting where ever for 20 mins. It has been in the teens here the past few nights.

Last edited by jugger911; 12-09-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:35 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Are you asking about cold air induction kits?

In general, these kits will not do anything for your car.

You car should not stumble and hesitate when the engine is cold. You should be able to start the car up and drive off. This in fact is the best way to warm up the car, not idling. I drive conservatively until the engine and transmission are warm. This doesn't take very long. I'd get you car checked out for your cold running issues.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what's the avg temp of your cars after it warms up? mine hits the middle of the "0" on the "180" temp gauge...... is that too high? i ask bc most says that there's around 180 at 90 degrees.......... if it's a little beyond it, is it fine............?
Old 12-09-2006, 08:42 PM
AsianImage
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds correct to me...I usually start the car and let the idle do its first "drop" and then drive under 4K until it gets to NOT around 180 or a little past. I was stuck in traffic once and I thought I was going to overheat...as the needle crept past where it usually is..but never went further.

Your car sounds fine.

As for above...agree..the best way to warm the car up is the drive it...at low/normal rpms so the fluids get mixing and warming up. sitting there at idle does not do that.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your car already uses "cold air", it draws air from outside of the car so no, it will not affect engine warm-up.

Quick Reply: Put a Cold-Air kit on a "cold natured" car?