Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 06:12 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rattles

I can't take it anymore!

Actually, just trying to see whether anyone else has had a similar problem.

I have pretty loud rattles from both sides of the car which I think might be in the seatbelt mechanism inside the B pillars.

Anyone?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:20 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

NEVER SEEN A SEAT BELT RATTLE
Old 12-07-2006, 06:30 PM
OH997
Pro

I've had rattles fixed. You might want to take it in, there are a lot of adjustments.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:33 PM
rbjbbb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DCP,
Funny you mention it. I just picked my car up from the paint shop, had them do some front bumper work. A darn rattle has appeared (that I swear was not there) and the sound(s) appear to emminate under the passenger seat. The same seat that had a new buckle installed several weeks back due to an airbag idiot light and buckle sensor issue. Not sure it is buckle, sounds further down under the seat on mine.
Let me know what you discover.
RB
Old 12-07-2006, 06:42 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OH997
I've had rattles fixed. You might want to take it in, there are a lot of adjustments.
Thanks. I am going to take it in. I thought I might see whether anyone else had this problem to give the service department some guidance.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I have one from the seat belt mechanism on the driver side. I try to not get too worked up about it, or just turn up the radio.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
Thanks. I am going to take it in. I thought I might see whether anyone else had this problem to give the service department some guidance.
Headliner / sunroof very common. Don't ask me how I know this
Old 12-07-2006, 07:18 PM
myrmidon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am also currently struggling with a very annoying rattle inside the passenger door (somewhere above the airbag).
Old 12-07-2006, 08:48 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by myrmidon
I am also currently struggling with a very annoying rattle inside the passenger door (somewhere above the airbag).

Me too
Old 12-08-2006, 12:58 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put the roof down....if I have the cab closed there is a rattle somewhere in the passengerside area...sounds like it is in the roof...there is also a "clonking" sound in the rear seat area......I am to cheap to get it fixed...if they can! (and they -the stealer- will charge me an arm and 2 legs!)

BUT with the top down.....no sounds, but the wind!!
Old 12-08-2006, 08:52 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
if I have the cab closed there is a rattle somewhere in the passengerside area...sounds like it is in the roof
Nicolaas,

I had this same problem in my cab. I was able to isolate it to the two plastic covers just distal to the overhead lights. They are oblong shaped and used to cover the screws in the cab cover overhead. What I did was pry them both out using a butter knife, then attached some sticky felt liner to the insides (purchased at Home Depot), and reinstall. You'll need to really pry them back into place as well, but don't use too much force as you might crack a plastic flange. Besides, it's easy to see how they slip back into place. The rattles from the roof disappeared immediately and the car sounds much much tighter.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:53 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by myrmidon

check the door striekr and latch they losen up and casue noises

above the air bag theres nothing so if you have a noise, possibly someone left the 4mm allen under the "air bag" loose

also 99% of the time door rattles are casued by loose speakers
Old 12-08-2006, 08:58 PM
MirageMetallic
Advanced

My 996 sunroof rattles intermittently, sometimes for a week or more. Opening and closing sometimes helps. Taking it to the track seems to help! Thankfully it rattles only sometimes and is silent the rest of the time.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks Edward...as soon as I get the lovin' feeling back for my P-car I will look into it!
Lost intererest a little lately...so she turned into a garage queen..but a neglected one.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:55 AM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't get anything I'd call a rattle, but I do have a few annoying minor buzzes that come from the various cheap plastic parts scattered around the cabin. The worst is the thin plastic cover over the top mount of the passenger side seatbelt. If I reach over and tap it a few times it seems to subside a little bit. There's also a little buzz/rattle I get somwhere near the steering wheel area that drives me crazy sometimes on these bumpy SoCal freeways.

In reality, the buzzes aren't too bad; it just annoys me that my old '84 has a tighter cabin than the 2000 and that my run-of-the-mill Chevy Tahoe had NO buzzes or rattles at all. Porsche should and could do better than this.

By the way, my wife's 2004 BMW 525 has some annoying buzzes too. What is it with these high-end cars and their buzzy interiors?

Quick Reply: Rattles