996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What's with these batteries???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006 | 10:22 PM
CT03911
Banned

Default What's with these batteries???

Had issues earlier this year when I bought my car. It had sat in someones garage for 2 1/2 years and that battery was shot. Parked the car I guess maybe 2 1/2 weeks ago after setting it up for the winter. Was planning on driving it a few days or at least starting it. Today was perfect so I go out to the garage and...it's dead. I mean can't a battery even hold a charge for 2-3 weeks. Am I off base here? Seems rediculous. Nothing was left on, although, having said that I did have the doors locked (just so the errant teenager/wife doesn't swing it open and hit something). Not positive what battery is in it because the dealer installed it under warranty. The car was weeks old to me, CPO's and all when that one was dead.
Guess I'm off to shop for a trickle charger.
Old 12-05-2006 | 10:51 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

No doubt that locking the doors (and hence enabling the ultrasonics) does use more juice, but it sounds like you have some other issue at play here.

Either:

The battery was already faulty/low
The alternator is not charging the battery properly
The car has a higher than normal current drain when shut down - so may have an electrical fault, or maybe a third party device, such as aftermarket stereo system, that is drawing a significant current to drain the battery in such a short time

When the dealer swaps out the battery again - ask them to do a standby current drain test - basically an in line ampmeter between the battery and the car, and see what the standby current draw is when the car is locked and idle. - Could be an interesting diagnostic test.

And I always leave my doors unlocked when leaving the vehicle garaged - but mostly because of that pesky 'sleep mode' where the car alarm disables even the remote from opening the car doors after a while!

Hope that helps.

Chris.
Old 12-05-2006 | 11:57 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

my car's battery gets so weak that the doors have to be open manually after only 6 days, it happens if I park the car on a sunday night and wait until next saturday to drive it. I thought that all P-cars had this weak battery issue, do you think my battery is faulty? I do lock the car always and I do not have any aftermarket electronics..
Old 12-06-2006 | 01:52 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
my car's battery gets so weak that the doors have to be open manually after only 6 days, it happens if I park the car on a sunday night and wait until next saturday to drive it. I thought that all P-cars had this weak battery issue, do you think my battery is faulty? I do lock the car always and I do not have any aftermarket electronics..
Your car is programed to put the alarm in a battery conserve mode if you do not drive it for several days. The alarm will still function, but the wireless remote will not.

This is normal.
Old 12-06-2006 | 08:41 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Thanks alot.. now I can sleep better
Old 12-06-2006 | 11:13 AM
Joee
Rennlist Member

I thnk the stock batteries do not have great reliability. I've had to replace them under the warranty. I would pull the battery and take it to be tested. Then probably replace it and reprogram the radio and drive the car and just pay attention to the battery voltage guage for several months.
Old 12-06-2006 | 11:43 AM
ReidN
Pro

When the remote "sleeps" how do I get it to work again?
Old 12-06-2006 | 12:17 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ReidN
When the remote "sleeps" how do I get it to work again?
Open the door with your key. After you open it the system resets itself and will function normally (until you let it sit for an extended period again).

FWI, the functionality is described in your manual (at least it is in mine).
Old 12-06-2006 | 12:51 PM
ReidN
Pro

No manual at time of purchase. I did order one from local dealer have not been there to see if it is in stock yet. My remote did this 2 weeks ago and has not come back. Light blinks but does nothing. Do I need a new remote?
Old 12-06-2006 | 12:56 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ReidN
No manual at time of purchase. I did order one from local dealer have not been there to see if it is in stock yet. My remote did this 2 weeks ago and has not come back. Light blinks but does nothing. Do I need a new remote?
Pull out the battery and wait about a minute before re-installing it. That may fix it.

If it doesn't work you may need a new battery. (However, it is strange that the light is still blinking??)
Old 12-06-2006 | 01:01 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

1. Flip the battery around and leave it in for 10 seconds. It should reset the key (it's fairly common for them to get "confused")

2. Do a search on here....it is a frequent topic and there is tons of advice available
Old 12-06-2006 | 01:24 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Porsche batteries are of very poor quality. Some dealers are not even installing porsche batteries anymore, and using batteries from the local auto parts store. Typically 2 years out of a P battery is doing very good.

Get a group 48 battery from your local auto parts store, and for the fraction of the price, you will have a lot better battery.

Quick Reply: What's with these batteries???