Sponsored by:

Do cops know your wing up means 75mph+?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 05:37 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave Howerdel
No 996 but with the 986, I'll tell ya this much. Driving a Porsche is a finable expense as far as the Passaic county sheriffs dept is concerned....even if you're 3mph under the limit. 4 bikes and 6 cruisers in the course of 1/4 mile taking turns picking people at random. This was the day before turkey day. It's well known that the sheriff's dept is trying to justify their existence by increasing revenue.

The officer came up behind me and I moved over since I figured he was going after someone in front of me. He pulled me over informed me that I was caught at 77mph (radar never went off). I asked if my rear spoiler was up when he pulled behind me. After I showed him by operating it manually, he said that it wasn't. I explained that at 77 it would have been extended and that it wouldn't have retracted until <55. After expressing anger toward the detector on the dash, he said that the "Best he could do for me" was a ticket for careless driving(2pts). I anxiously await my day in court.
See... this thread does have some "sand" to it. Hope that you grind those moron's into the ground. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Nasty, nasty, nasty. Guilty of driving a Porsche. Being pulled over does not bother me, but only if it's legitimate. He was being lazy and wanted another mark for his quota.

Okay, here are a few thoughts for you.

His car will have a video of the traffic stop (it would be highly unusual for it not to have video). The video will have captured your carefless driving - get a copy of the video and have him point out the example of careless driving - use it in court.

Another thing - the video should have his speed captioned onto it. By looking at your car relative to him and his speed you will be able to infer your speed - that can go for or against you, use that one wisely, but be cautioned that you should be ready for that to come up.

Much as he doesn't like it (funny that, he's not the first cop I've heard of expressing that opinion), radar detectors are not illegal. Use the fact that you have one and that it didn't go off to your favor if you need to. In order to show you were speeding (if it comes up as a contributing factor) he needs ro have measured it some way.... it certainly wasn't by radar, point that out.

Good luck! When is your court date? Let us know how it goes. This is weak and he probably will not show up, but go in fighting.

Originally Posted by Dave Howerdel
The officer came up behind me and I moved over since I figured he was going after someone in front of me. He pulled me over informed me that I was caught at 77mph (radar never went off). I asked if my rear spoiler was up when he pulled behind me. After I showed him by operating it manually, he said that it wasn't. I explained that at 77 it would have been extended and that it wouldn't have retracted until <55. After expressing anger toward the detector on the dash, he said that the "Best he could do for me" was a ticket for careless driving(2pts). I anxiously await my day in court.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oreganet
Nasty, nasty, nasty. Guilty of driving a Porsche. Being pulled over does not bother me, but only if it's legitimate. He was being lazy and wanted another mark for his quota.

Okay, here are a few thoughts for you.

His car will have a video of the traffic stop (it would be highly unusual for it not to have video). The video will have captured your carefless driving - get a copy of the video and have him point out the example of careless driving - use it in court.

Another thing - the video should have his speed captioned onto it. By looking at your car relative to him and his speed you will be able to infer your speed - that can go for or against you, use that one wisely, but be cautioned that you should be ready for that to come up.

Much as he doesn't like it (funny that, he's not the first cop I've heard of expressing that opinion), radar detectors are not illegal. Use the fact that you have one and that it didn't go off to your favor if you need to. In order to show you were speeding (if it comes up as a contributing factor) he needs ro have measured it some way.... it certainly wasn't by radar, point that out.

Good luck! When is your court date? Let us know how it goes. This is weak and he probably will not show up, but go in fighting.

This strech of rt19 is well know as an area that has been "given" to the sheriffs dept by the local and state cops. 99% of the citations they write up are in a space of 4miles on rt 80 and 2miles on rt 19 that intersects rt 80 perpendicularly. Most locals from the area are well aware of this and make sure to keep somewhat below the limit when travelling through.

Well, he was on a bike on the side of the road. Nothing covert about it.
There were cruisers and bikes everywhere with cars pulled over. At first we assumed there had been an accident and slowed down even more to be cautious. He was sitting on the bike on the shoulder and pulled out after we had passed. Never thought for a minute that he would have been coming after me.

I've had discussions with state troopers and town cops about the sheriff's dept and there is a common consensus among them that the sheriffs dept does not need to have a force patrolling the roads, yet no one will address the issue as long as they continue to generate enough revenue to not only pay for their existence, but to also throw a bone to the surrounding towns. I'd say a good number of the citations wouldn't hold up in court, but then again, most of the time the officer will imply that you'll be wasting you're time when they inform you of your right to fight it. Hence, most just pay it and move on.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:12 PM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's a bunch of crap. I'd go and fight this one, but if no video; it's your word against his. We have a stretch of road like this one, 640 Bypass & Pellissippi Parkway. They will hide in the bushes or on the overpass with a motorcycle and have "chasers" around the corner. A bad point that my police-officer in-laws had was, WE stick out anyway. They said they have all pulled over cars just to talk car's to them. Meanwhile, we are crapin' our pants; and they are just passing time. If you at least show up to court, you might get away with only court-cost. Good luck!
Old 11-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Gary996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is slightly off topic...........but can anyone tell me how to manually raise the wing in a 996?

Gary
Old 11-25-2006, 05:35 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Gary, there is a toggle switch down by your left foot in an opening on the fuse panel cover that raises and retracts the rear spoiler.

ps. here is a great hack: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7071
Old 11-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Gary996
Instructor

Dell:

Thanks!!

Gary
Old 11-25-2006, 06:08 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Very welcome

ps. I PM'd you a link for a sweet spoiler hack!
Old 11-25-2006, 06:16 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Dave, this sounds like a BS pull-over from everything you've said. Do you know what speed you were doing and what was the posted limit?

Fight it. If you're lucky he'll not show, but get a good lawyer and fight it hard.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oreganet
Dave, this sounds like a BS pull-over from everything you've said. Do you know what speed you were doing and what was the posted limit?

Fight it. If you're lucky he'll not show, but get a good lawyer and fight it hard.
The limit is 65 in the area and I was under 60 while going through the area. Had I been going any faster, He would have been able to catch me and pull me over until I had entered rt 80.

I could really care less about the 2pts or the $$ for the fine. It would be considerably easier to pay it and forget it but I feel obliged to fight it on principle alone. I consider court costs to be my fee for stating my case. At the very least, it should be interesting once I inquire as to how many citations were issued 1hr+ & - of the time I received mine and how many were written during the rest of the day. One other thing is that alot of cops seem rather humbled when called into court. They are totally different from when they pull you over. People are people and when placed in an environment where a higher authority presides, bull**** becomes easy to spot regardless of which side attempts to spew it.

I've a similar situation where I was pulled over and cited for 90mph in a 55. I had entered the free and begun accelerating when I was immediately pulled over. The spot where my car came to rest was less that 1/4 of a mile from where I enter the freeway. In court, the cop testified that he had seen me enter the freeway and paced me at 90 mph. He also confirmed that a picture I had taken was the area he had pulled me over. When presented with the laws of physics and how an early 944na differs from a top fuel dragster, the judge dismissed the case and was obviously perturbed with the officer(23 yr old rookie).

Justice, although expected, cannot be guaranteed when you're pulled over...but it can be sought in court(yet also not guaranteed).

I find that the state troopers are the most reasonable. They give you a bit more leeway and truly avoiding pulling someone over unless they are really doing something careless/dangerous/stupid. Local town cops are hit or miss. It really seems as though their attitude is highly dependent on what they've been told when they come on duty.

It seems that the sheriffs have been told, "write as many as you can. When uncertain, ticket and deal with it in court later." When you consider that police are there to serve and protect, the funny thing is that aside from supervising road work on county roads, and writing citations, they serve no other purpose...but the new black and white dodge chargers do look cool.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, I'd fight this one on principle too. As i said, a fair ticket, then you pay it, but this seems to be a little unfair.

it will be interesting to get (in advance of the court date) what he thought was "careless driving". Get the info, then request a copy of the video from his car.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:10 PM
MirageMetallic
Advanced

Last time I had a ticket the cop was right behind me as a roared off the line, hitting well past the local speed limit of 40mph. Suffice it to say I didn't realize the SUV with the headlights in my mirror was the K-9 unit when I did this.

The cop claimed it was foggy and wet. He said I went 75mph (it was more like 60, I did not tromp the pedal hehe). He said he paced me, in his K-9 carrying Ford SUV. How you pace me off the line in an SUV, while claiming that I did 75mph in a quarter mile is beyond me.

More than that, he didn't write me up for prima facie speed. He wrote me up for basic speed law -- unsafe for conditions. This pissed me off. I may have been 20 over the limit, but the traffic survey says the 85% speed there is 57mph. Besides it was late and night there was no traffic.

So I fought the ticket. I had a nice notarized National Weather Service document that cost me $65 to get, showing no fog and no rain in the hour by hour report. But I didn't get to use it, because the cop didn't show . . .

Morale: even when you blast off the line right in front of the cop -- fight the ticket. His whole premise was that you didn't feel like investing in a good traffic ticket book and are intimidated by the legal system.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:17 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Or just get a fixed wing and forget about it.

Quick Reply: Do cops know your wing up means 75mph+?