Sponsored by:

Remote stopped working?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 09:59 AM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Remote stopped working?

My remote has stopped locking and unlocking the car. The light blinks but it does nothing. I even changed the battery and still nothing. Anyone had this happen? What could it be? Is this time for a dealer visit?
Old 11-22-2006, 10:24 AM
jason latif
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default strange coincidence!!

...mine has also stopped working - but I'm in the UK. It's a '99 996 C4. I changed the battery too - no effect.

Warning - don't use the key to lock your car (as the bl@@dy alarm) arms itself after a while and it's a pain in the @ss to sort it out once the shrieking and beeping starts!

I'm having to leave my car unlocked! Will have to get the dealer to look at it, I think.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:05 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Sounds like you need reprogramming...only at the stealer!
Old 11-22-2006, 11:15 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jason latif
...mine has also stopped working - but I'm in the UK. It's a '99 996 C4. I changed the battery too - no effect.

Warning - don't use the key to lock your car (as the bl@@dy alarm) arms itself after a while and it's a pain in the @ss to sort it out once the shrieking and beeping starts!

I'm having to leave my car unlocked! Will have to get the dealer to look at it, I think.
WTF? Using your key to unlock will disarm the alarm as well. Not sure what is going on with your car but that is NOT how it operates.

One of my remotes stopped working and it needs to be reprogrammed but I could continue to lock/unlock, arm/disarm with the key.

I would NEVER NEVER NEVER leave my car unlocked. Even for fear of the alarm going off when I get back to it. If you key doesn't disarm when you unlock, it WILL when you put in in the ignition switch and start the car.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:39 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
WTF? Using your key to unlock will disarm the alarm as well. Not sure what is going on with your car but that is NOT how it operates.
Actually if you armed the car with the remote and then use the key to unlock it, it will trigger the alarm. So if you leave the car for 5 days (or so) the remote will be "deactivated". When you unlock the car with the key, you must then push the remote button to activate it again (or the alarm will sound).
If you key doesn't disarm when you unlock, it WILL when you put in in the ignition switch and start the car.
Yes, this is so. I wouldn't leave my car unlocked either.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:43 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Correct, but ONLY in that situation that the remote armed it then decided to go bad and then you come back to the car to disarm it.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:11 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if your alarm goes off and your remote doesnt work you stick the key in the ignition and it shuts it off
I have a new in the package remote i would sell if your intrested
Old 11-22-2006, 12:14 PM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So do I just need reprogramming because that was my last working remote. (2 Bad now) Key works fine it does all those things.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

IIRC, all that needs to be done is a simple reprogram of the 2 remotes you have by your dealer. Be prepared to bend over when they charge you for "labor" on it.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:28 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

IIRC, all that needs to be done is a simple reprogram of the 2 remotes you have by your dealer. Be prepared to bend over when they charge you for "labor" on it.
you could attempt to reprogram them but with out the orignal key tag with the
20 digit code on it your out of luck, ive also only seen reprgraoming work once maybe twice,
Old 11-22-2006, 01:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Brad....not sure I follow. There was a thread recently that talked about this very issue and several guys reported back that what needed to happen was the key needed to be reprogrammed by the dealer and the rationale for the OUTRAGEOUS labor charge was for not just hooking it up to reprogram but to get the codes from PAG/PCNA.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:42 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

you must have a 6 alphadigit key learn code from posche to access the teach funtion with a piwis or pst2. then you can program a key, the imobilizer pill which is what is recogized and allows the key to start the car is self contained, the vechile reads the code and allows you to save it.....then its programed. the remote has a card that comes with it with a 24 alpha digit remote id card, without that card (or the number off the card) you can not program the remote to any vechile, the original cards from whe n the car was new may be in the owners manual, but if the remotes have ever been replaced chances are they were discarded making reteaching the remotes impossible.
That said i have attempted to relearn remotes, and only had it work once or twice

cayennes and 9x7s can be taught with only the porsche acess codes no other codes are required, 993s as well
Old 11-22-2006, 01:45 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the explanation Brad. Can you explain why the key will still lock/arm and the unlock/disarm as well as start the car? Seems to me that the only inconvenience is the ability to lock/arm and the unlock/disarm remotely versus with the key in the door.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:08 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

the key will always work, or should always work as long as the pill isnt damaged, it cant go bad it cant fail only the remote itself can go bad they are 2 seperate pieces so you can still operate the car normaly you just lose the convience of unlocking remotely
Old 11-22-2006, 02:11 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ReidN
My remote has stopped locking and unlocking the car. The light blinks but it does nothing. I even changed the battery and still nothing. Anyone had this happen? What could it be? Is this time for a dealer visit?
Mine did the same thing after sitting for a while. After I opened the door with the key, and drove it around, it started working again...

-td

Quick Reply: Remote stopped working?