Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: HAS YOUR 996 HAD TOTAL ENGINE FAILURE ?
no problems
80.00%
yes total engine failure
20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: HAVE YOU HAD CATASTROPHIC ENGINE FALILURE ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 09:46 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Eharrison
So what is being said is that the readers of this forum are more than likely on the engine failure party. And therefore biased. And as to the fact that other readers might not be owners, wouldn't this forum represent a more accurate cross section than say, Carpoint or MSNcars? It's a poll and should be taken for what it's worth. Saying that it's similar to polling at a convention is a little stretched. This forum is a P-car forum not a RMS, Engine failure forum, both sides read the forum both sides opt to take the poll.

Apparently this poll is running similar in numbers as a recent article in one of the UK magazines.

It's a poll with a margin of error. And where else would one go to ask a question like this that would give a more unbiased opinion?

And anybody can take anything out of context. It's the internet...Gore invented it.
Not stretched at all. The simple truth. I've been making my living with market research for 26 years. I'm not going to try to condense a course in statistics for you, here, but my comparison to a political convention was apt and precise. The issue is not the internet. The issue is a non-representative universe plus no sample design in a situation where bias would affect the outcome. Put another way, if one of the possible answers to a question involves something that has never happened to you, the sample has to be built and the responses weighted to reflect the population, since the results would otherwise likely overstate the responses from people to whom something DID happen. You'd get the same problem with a lost luggage poll on TripAdvisor, for example.

The fact that these numbers seem similar to those of other studies simply reflects that survey design problems affect the probability of accurate results, they don't absolutely guarantee the wrong ones. Even a stopped watch is right twice a day.

I didn't even mention margin of error, which is a statistical phenomenon unrelated to sample bias. In fact, for the universe of Rennlist users, the sample size is very solid.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:23 AM
devexpert
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

That makes sense, however, the numbers in this pool do represent the statistics for this forum group and this sample, whatever the group may be. The same is true I am sure for any other car forum group on the internet. Correct?

With that in mind then, if you compare the number of catastrophic engine failures in 996 to the other brands, like BMW, using forums, it seems to me that there are more failures here... And that comparison in my mind is a valid one.

I am looking into getting used 996 but this has put me on the fence. Now I know that I must get the CPO-ed one. The truth is, I frequent BMW and Audi (own both) message boards and have not seen this many engine catastrophic failures reported.

Originally Posted by BruceP
Not stretched at all. The simple truth. I've been making my living with market research for 26 years. I'm not going to try to condense a course in statistics for you, here, but my comparison to a political convention was apt and precise. The issue is not the internet. The issue is a non-representative universe plus no sample design in a situation where bias would affect the outcome. Put another way, if one of the possible answers to a question involves something that has never happened to you, the sample has to be built and the responses weighted to reflect the population, since the results would otherwise likely overstate the responses from people to whom something DID happen. You'd get the same problem with a lost luggage poll on TripAdvisor, for example.

The fact that these numbers seem similar to those of other studies simply reflects that survey design problems affect the probability of accurate results, they don't absolutely guarantee the wrong ones. Even a stopped watch is right twice a day.

I didn't even mention margin of error, which is a statistical phenomenon unrelated to sample bias. In fact, for the universe of Rennlist users, the sample size is very solid.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Still no one has given a reason. That's all I'm asking.
Several people have provided numerous reasons all of which you have chosen to ignor.

Take a look at MrBonus's post (above your last) and you might start to form a idea about internet polls.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:53 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Still no one has given a reason. That's all I'm asking.

I'll give you one. lack of validity.
I'll give you a second. lack of reliability.
I'll give you a third........

well, you get the point.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:56 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by devexpert
... And that comparison in my mind is a valid one.
You hit the nail right on the head!

DING DING DING....we have a winner.

The issue of validity is in YOUR mind and NOT based on sound science.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:12 AM
soldmystang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the fact that catastrophic engine failure exists should tell you something. i went thru this with a ford diesel 6.0 to some extent. i researched prior to purchase on forums such as this one and found the number of f'ed-up trucks to be very high given the overall number of posts about the 6.0 diesel.

i also stopped visiting those particular forums after trading my first 6.0 (mildly fubar-ed) after 7 months for another 6.0 that so far (80 K miles) has been solid and non-problematic.

forums attract certain kinds of postings, including those that make vehicles seem to be junk. are these polls representative of the overall population? i think not. are they a good indication that the problem is not a very isolated one? i would have to say yes.

i look at my ownership of a 6.0 ford as more luck and probability, rather than statistically speaking. knock on wood, it is still running fine.

it appears this particular post is reaching "dead horse" status more than anything else. the only reason it continues is because both sides feed the fire. doesn't change the fact that bad motors or whatever still exist. and as i am shopping i take this info seriously. albeit maybe, with a grain of salt given my ford experience.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You know what I hate? Trying to read this thread on a blackberry while standing in line at the airport. I appreciate the response. And have taken the comments in. I still feel that a poll at a convention would not be the same. The forum is not a forum of owners with engine failures. It would be similar in the fact that you ask a question at the convention with respect to what republican you support not what party. But it's my opinion and I'll leave it at that.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't have a NA car (Turbo), nor have I had a failure, I just voted YES because it seems like a more fun choice. I'm a very optimistic positive person, so I don't believe in the word NO
Old 11-16-2006, 11:28 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
I'll give you one. lack of validity.
I'll give you a second. lack of reliability.
I'll give you a third........

well, you get the point.
this reminded me years ago, how we "elected" our president, and what happened in palm beach..
Old 11-16-2006, 11:33 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

pl......actually that "election" you refer to was both valid and reliable with statistical certainty. Was it valid? Yes. Votes that were accurately cast were counted. Was it Reliable? Yes. Those votes were counted more than once against different counters establishing within statistical limits that the voting results were repeated within statistical limits between counters.

Personally, I didn't care for EITHER candidate so this isn't me supporting one cadidate or another. Just me illustrating how incorrect your assumption is.

Time for this crap to head to OT. Leave it to a democrat to turn a poll about engine failures into rationale for a lost bid to the white house. .
Old 11-16-2006, 11:39 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems like somebody should write up a little article about the problems with the different 996s and have John "sticky" it for new or potential owners to read before they ask the same questions for the 500th time.

Let's face it. There is a good possibility that you will have an RMS issue at some point if you buy a 996. I have no idea if it's a 20% chance for a 80% chance but it may happen. You shouldn't buy the car if you don't have an extra $1000 laying around to fix it. There is a remote possiblity that you will blow an engine. This is especially true if you are buying used and don't know the PO. There are all kinds of ways to abuse these engines that the average Camary will never experience. If replacing an engine at some point would bankrupt your family then you shouldn't own this car. You will replace your rear tires every 10k miles or so and they are very expensive. If this doesn't fit your budget, don't buy this car. etc. etc.

My approach is to just ignore these threads but a summary would be a better approach. So Dell, why don't you whip that up. I'd be glad to review it.
Jim
Old 11-16-2006, 11:43 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Funny one Jim! I for one, think the 996 is a fantastic step forward in reliability in the long line of cars PAG has put out. IIRC, there was an article in Total911 recently that talked about the reliability of the 996 engine as well in another issue talked about the RMS issue. Both articles were well researched as well as well written. I might have a scan of them that I could post up for good reading. Also, Excellence had an issue recently (a couple actually) that talked about buying tips for the 996 in the "market update" section.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:46 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Here is a link to the reliability of 996 engine article:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6470

As for the RMS article, if somebody would be able to host it and put a link to it I would be happy to email them the scanned article.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:50 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for your read pleasure:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6470
The pdf version:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...e=post&id=3224

another one from total911:

http://www.autofarm.co.uk/new.php3/Total911_July06.pdf
Old 11-16-2006, 12:23 PM
devexpert
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
The issue of validity is in YOUR mind and NOT based on sound science.
Yes, and I buy the car not sound science All I am saying is that I see more engine failures resulting in replacement reported here than on other car forums (www.bimmerfest.com and www.audiworld.com) and that as used car buyer does not inspire confidence.

Quick Reply: POLL: HAVE YOU HAD CATASTROPHIC ENGINE FALILURE ?