Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Key Question: Can't believe I'm this anal but...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mc_renn
Man you guys are too funny! I mention it to a friend and she rolls her eyes at me letting me know how retarded it is too worry about such a minor thing. I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone.

BTW: It looks like that sticker that they sell for $5 dollars might be a fit. Of course if I buy that I have to buy something else to recoup the shipping costs hmm what else to buy.....
Well, aesthetics aside, I was being serious about putting stress on the ignition switch. A couple of keys is okay, but some people have tons of keys on their keychain and that is bad - think of every shake of the keys as jiggling the ignition switch.

Personally, I only have the car key on the fob because my house keys are separated from my car keys (as I don't drive the same car every day and mostly don't carry house keys).
Old 11-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This certainly is a very serious matter. I doubt if you car will ever run the same. The part you lost weighs about 2 grams and will throw the balance of the car completely off. However, if you could hold off shaving for three days. Then shave only the left side of your face. This will equalize the balance in your car again. Don't forget to change the air in your tires from summer air to winter air.
Glad to help!
Old 11-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Harris
Don't forget to change the air in your tires from summer air to winter air.
Hogwash! I am amazed that people still believe this. I run winter air all year round, and I've never had a problem. On hot days, the winter air helps keep the tires cooler and my pressures are more stable on the track.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take it....and I'll get another key ring just for the "porsche" key.
Yeah - that's the way to go. I hope your new key ring is like this one. Get his and put JUST your porsche key on it.

It looks simple and sweet ! I have mine setup like that
Old 11-14-2006, 08:15 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

I remember a colleague a few years back came to a sales meeting (after he had just bought a blinged out lexus IS200 complete with gold plated insignia on the back) wearing a gold lexus tiepin and gold lexus cufflinks.

after the sales director made fun of him he had to sit through two hours of constant mockery....

I guess he needed to make sure everyone knew he drove a lexus, even when he wasn't in it...
Old 11-14-2006, 08:38 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
I guess he needed to make sure everyone knew he drove a lexus, even when he wasn't in it...
Geeez...it should be the other way around, I'd be trying hard to hide the fact that I drive a Lexus...I mean over-priced Toyota.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:15 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So that little Porsche logo fell off my key and it's annoying me. I don't want to spend $$$ to buy a new key and was wondering if anyone knew where I can buy that logo to superglue back on. I apologize in advance for this stupid question.
i love New York?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:26 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One key on the fob. I can't stand crap on my key chain. The wife has those swipe cards for the gym, a swipe car for the kids for the gym. Keys she doesn't use. I mean, she's one step away from Jailer keys. I got a little creeped out when she was walking along the edge of the bed clanking the billy club on the foot board last night.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:02 AM
mc_renn
Instructor

Originally Posted by pl
i love New York?

Yeah good eye!!! I lived in NYC--upper west side--for four years and loved it. Felt cheesy owning anything with the I love NYC while living in the ciy so when I moved to LA I at least had to get the key chain.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:06 AM
mc_renn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Harris
This certainly is a very serious matter. I doubt if you car will ever run the same. The part you lost weighs about 2 grams and will throw the balance of the car completely off. However, if you could hold off shaving for three days. Then shave only the left side of your face. This will equalize the balance in your car again. Don't forget to change the air in your tires from summer air to winter air.
Glad to help!

I knew something was off. Thanks for telling me I was this close to draining the Mobil 0W "water" to the thicker stuff....
Old 11-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Eharrison
One key on the fob. I can't stand crap on my key chain. The wife has those swipe cards for the gym, a swipe car for the kids for the gym. Keys she doesn't use. I mean, she's one step away from Jailer keys. I got a little creeped out when she was walking along the edge of the bed clanking the billy club on the foot board last night.
...your wife and mine. I prefer simplicity. Jailer is an apt description.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by jetskied
You can buy a new key head, but its still expensive, but you don't have to have the dealer program it. I would check dealer if the logo can be ordered.
Key heads run around 75 - 90 on ebay (be sure it has the bar code tag attached) and are currently on Sunset's website for about $85 as a special deal.

Wherever you buy it, you WILL have to have a new key head mated to your car (its the car that's programmed, not the key head) by a dealer. No one else can perform this task.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:37 AM
Chris 996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a long shot but....
Maybe your key will less likely be stolen from a valet board at a fine restaurant.....
Old 11-19-2006, 03:20 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
Wherever you buy it, you WILL have to have a new key head mated to your car (its the car that's programmed, not the key head) by a dealer. No one else can perform this task.
Actually, my independent mechanic can perform that task. He has a PST2...
Old 11-19-2006, 01:42 PM
kevinrubin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick
Try to think back to where you might have lost it. Go back there and look around for a while. It should still be there.

Quick Reply: Key Question: Can't believe I'm this anal but...