Sponsored by:

Wow, my first time impressions of 996 vs Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 02:10 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank Courts
"Furthermore, the same characteristics that allow the Boxster to transision so quickly (lower polar moment) also make it more difficult to "catch" in a spin. The 911 has a higher polar moment, I find it is a little easier to catch than my 986.

Ray "

AGREE. I drive both cars and the boxster is a pleasure but because of the low polar moment when it loses it, it is GONE! With the 911 you get a lot more feedback that you might lose it.

Frank

I have been trying to make this exact point to my buddies for awhile now.

Another point to consider, though, is that, for exactly the same reasons, Boxsters tend to spin like a top and not "move" as much from the point where the spin initiated. 911s tend to "hammer throw" away more from the point where the spin initiated.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:18 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 2 cents. I had a Boxster before my 996. The Boxster ran like it was on rails. The thing didn't move. I personally think it handled better than my 996. The power, however, was not even close. It all boils down to personal preference. To the "less experienced driver", the 996 will get you hurt a lot quicker. I very rarely ever had the rear end swing around on my Boxster. Lets just say I'm still gettin' used to my 996...lol If I could afford both of them they would both be sleeping downstairs in the garage rite now. Overall I feel I made an upgrade.

Quick Reply: Wow, my first time impressions of 996 vs Boxster