Sponsored by:

Wow, my first time impressions of 996 vs Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 02:01 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I expect the above statement to be challenged a million ways from Sunday. But, if I had to keep only one of the two Porsches in the garage and get rid of the other, I would keep the C4S.
Personally i would too.

But new boxtser 's' against new 997 convertible would be a lot more difficult decision to make.

In fact, thinking about it i would almost certainly go with the boxster 's' vs the c2 cab
Old 11-11-2006, 02:09 PM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
Personally i would too.

But new boxtser 's' against new 997 convertible would be a lot more difficult decision to make.

In fact, thinking about it i would almost certainly go with the boxster 's' vs the c2 cab
Interestingly, I chose a 2002 996 Targa as much more fun to drive than a 2005 Boxster S 987S. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:49 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by tmc
Interestingly, I chose a 2002 996 Targa as much more fun to drive than a 2005 Boxster S 987S. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I would have too

But also that was before the boxster s got the same power as the the original 996 - about 295 bhp

I personally prefer coupe to convertible

For people buying in the used market things will be interesting in a couple of years when the 3.4 boxster and cayman come off lease plans

Yes, the cachet or snob factor of the 911 + having 2 kiddie seats in the back is defintely worth something to some people, but the 3.4 motor 987 series will be a performance bargain.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:18 PM
lanny
Racer

I had a 2.7 boxster and just purchased the 996 and love the power and all the above but to some degree i feel that my boxster handled just a little better- as i said before it could be the lack of power to get into trouble also.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:10 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmm. Having owned a Box and Box S, and now a C4S, I will have to go drive a nice Boxster S and see if I notice the same things.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:15 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Hmm. Having owned a Box and Box S, and now a C4S, I will have to go drive a nice Boxster S and see if I notice the same things.

Check out the one with the new 3.4 engine...... and report back...
Old 11-11-2006, 04:17 PM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
I would have too

But also that was before the boxster s got the same power as the the original 996 - about 295 bhp
The 05 and 06 are 280 bhp. +15bhp is about 0.1sec 0-60 increase. Your seat dyno is better than mine!
Old 11-13-2006, 04:18 AM
Melchior
Pro

Let's go see what the BMW Forums are saying about the M3 vs Z4 vs Z3!

I go to bed every night thankful for not buying one of those horribly un-snobby Boxsters.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:36 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

You guys are killing me with the inherently "flawed" design comments about the 911 and the Carrera in particular. The 911 and its different variants have won more races than any other sports car in HISTORY-bar none. I think that pretty much speaks for itself and makes anyone who says otherwise look pretty foolish

Porsche believes otherwise. They have been attempting to wean traditionalists from rear engine 911s for decades, but their customers won't stand for the change. Hence, Porsche had no choice but to constantly enhance what virtually every Automotive Engineer would consider to be an inferior engine placement. So Porsche won races not because of but despite of the handicap of rear engines.

If you doubt what I write, try racing against a Cayman S that has a modified engine that produces the same HP as a 996.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:58 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
[B]If you doubt what I write, try racing against a Cayman S that has a modified engine that produces the same HP as a 996.
That would be a 2007 Cayman S or Boxster S versus the 2001 996 Carrera (the newest version of the 3.4L engine before the 2002 change). Has anyone made this comparision?

Like others, I have owned a Boxster S before my 996 cab. Though the boxster was a great car and definitely had its benefits, my wallet and my vote signify the 996, right?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:00 AM
tennktm
Advanced

Like most, I drove all of the Boxters and bought a Carrera....for several reasons, some founded, some simply personal. I liked the Boxter S and it was a much more logical purchase considering price and performance. But, I simply did not like the lines on the car and I wanted the traditional Porsche. I grew up riding in the back seat of my dad's 912 and as such, I think Porsches have back seats. Is that the reason I bought the Carrera, heck no, but I have a certain image of a Porsche and the Boxter is simply not it.......my image could have included an air cooled motor, etc.

The Boxter handles very well, the interior layout is comprable to a Carrera. But, it did not have quite the umph and I wanted a coupe....(yes, I know I could have purchased a Cayman, which is a nice car but no room at all).......

It is all personal preference.....nothing more. They are all good cars.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:05 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Molly
This is for others who may be in the same position as me: looking at both the 996 and Boxster S for the first time.

I've had lots of high end sports cars and have autocrossed BMWs, etc. and owned several BMWs, Porsches, water and air-cooled, etc including brand new ones. However I am now thinking about buying a Porsche so today I went out and drove a 2002 Boxster S with 30K miles and a 99 C2 Cab with 60K miles, both 6 speeds. I'm very familiar with both cars and P-cars in general but this my first 996 test drive and only drove a Boxster once, when they came out new, and I almost bought one (thought it was way weak and bought a new BMW M-car instead).

I cannot believe how much better the 996 felt. Wow. It feels so much faster, so much more solid, sounds so much better and just feels so much better in overall quality. It feels so much heavier, but at the same time so much quicker and no less nimble. Hard to explain but almost like the whole car is made of thicker steel (I have no idea if it is) and just feels so much more solid. Feels like the diff between a Honda and a BMW sort of. The clutch felt much better, the shifter worked better, worlds better torque and throttle response. It just seemed to run up through the gears on a whole other level over the Boxster. Then on the same stretch of highway where the Boxster felt jiggly and kindof hyper at 70 mph, the 996 felt compeltely calm. The Boxster had a lot of shake to the body and was affected by the road a lot, but the 966 just felt like a smooth heavy missle. Furthermore the 966 was much more quiet as far as road, tire, and wind noise. Wow what a difference is all I can say, so much more different then I expected. When I drove the Boxster first, I really liked it, and actually was not expecting a lot of difference in the 996. I was already thinking that the 5K higher price of the 996 was not likely to be worth it because the Boxster seemed really nice on its own. But after driving the 996, I now have no desire to look at anymore Boxsters. BTW, both cars were in excellend cond, all stock, from reputable dealerships, factory tires, wheels, etc. Now I must say that it's hard to argue with the value of the Boxster S on the used market, standing alone. But if you are thinking about a P, and the moderate price increase to a 996 is not a problem for you, definatelt try one because you might be suprised at how much better it is. In fact considering the low price of the Boxsters I went out assuming a good chance I'de end up with one instead of a 996 when I started out the door today but not now. I already have some other 996s lined up to look at in the coming days. Just thought I'd share.
The 996s are great cars. Out of the box, though, they are GT cars, and they do that job extremely well.

By contrast, the Boxsters are more of a true sportscar in the traditional sense. Out of the box, they do that job extremely well.

What type of car do you want? Do you want a heavier GT car, or do you want a mid-engined open-topped sports car?

The great thing about Porsche is that they [usually] make a full range of cars that make it possible for everyone to be happy. The only time you will not be happy is if you buy one type of car thinking it is a different type of car.

The Cayman S provides a perfect entry level track car for Porsche fanatics . . .

The GT3 is the bigger brother.

The GT3 RS is the bigger brother who belongs to the same country club as the dealer.

I would give my left [insert appropriate word here] for a Cayman RS that has the same running gear as the GT3 RS. It will never happen, but it is still a beautiful dream . . .
Old 11-13-2006, 06:32 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experiences were also similar to yours. I was very disappointed when I drove an 03' Boxster S before deciding on a Carrera. I really didn't like the way the engine noise and vibration transmit into the passenger compartment.

Having recently driving both new 987 Boxsters and Caymans, I am very surprised at how much improved the new Boxster is. I actually like it better than the Cayman. It is a lot tighter than the 986. You hear the exhaust and engine fan on the passenger side instead of the mechanical noises of the engine. Strangely, I notice the engine noise and vibration a lot more in the Cayman than the Boxster. The handling is greatly improved. With the old Boxster it would push hard on the throttle, but at lower speeds it could push the back end out; but in a nervous fashion. The 987 Boxster is much more stable and neutral. I can set the front and play with the back. The Cayman by contrast has a very grippy back end. I can't get it to slide like I can get a Boxster to do. In faster turns, the Cayman's front end gets light while the Boxster's stays true.

Keep in mind that there will always be a compromise with a Boxster or a Cayman. Like the 914, 944 and 968 before the, they will always be Porsche 2nd tier sports car. As a result, Porsche will never give them the same level of performance or prestige as a 911. This isn't to say they are great sports cars. After all, the 914, 944 and 968 were also some of the best handling cars of their times too.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I bought a 02 996 cab over a 05 Boxster S after driving both,hope that clutch in the boxster survived,sure smelled funny !
Old 11-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Molly
Instructor

Cayman is sweet and I like it a lot but not as much as a 996. Still not so sure about a 911 being an outmoded GT car of such inferior design, I'll bet Daytona, Le Mans, and Sebring will be chock full of em this year, like every year.

Quick Reply: Wow, my first time impressions of 996 vs Boxster