Sponsored by:

HELP - Orientation lights stay on

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 11:51 PM
ga911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - Orientation lights stay on

I've been through a few batteries over the past few months on my rarely driven 01 C2. Tonight I finally noticed that the interior Orientation Lights (LED's) do not ever shut off, even when the car is locked. I'm guessing that's what is draining the battery over a few weeks.

Anyone else ever had this issue? Fixes?

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:26 AM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

The lights will eventually shut off, I don't recall how long it takes but I have had occasion to wander into the garage an hour afterwards and the car is dark inside. Is it possible you have another drain elsewhere? Do you arm the alarm? Do you have a weak or older battery?

Those lights drain so little in terms of amps that I cannot imagine they could be the culprit.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 11-06-2006, 12:46 AM
ga911
Advanced

Peter -

Thanks for the quick reply. Just to make sure, I went down to the garage and all of the LED's are still on and it's been a good two hours. I'm sure they don't draw much, but after a week or two I'm sure it's taking a toll on the battery.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:36 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Are you talking about the overhead lights by the inside rear view mirror? Have you played with the on/off switches?
Old 11-06-2006, 10:17 AM
ga911
Advanced

C'mon Tim, give me a little credit for trying every thing before I wasted peoples time with a post To be specific, there is one LED on the overhead light cluster, one on both door handles, one by the ignition switch and one down by the luggage compartment switch. There is a small "pin" switch in the overhead light cluster to adust the brightness of these, but I've yet to find anyway to get them to shut off.

Thanks for trying to help!
Old 11-06-2006, 10:36 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

open and close both doors? do both windows drop and rasie when you open and close?
Old 11-06-2006, 11:52 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ga911
C'mon Tim, give me a little credit for trying every thing before I wasted peoples time with a post To be specific, there is one LED on the overhead light cluster, one on both door handles, one by the ignition switch and one down by the luggage compartment switch. There is a small "pin" switch in the overhead light cluster to adust the brightness of these, but I've yet to find anyway to get them to shut off.

Thanks for trying to help!
I really wasn't trying to insult your intelligence. I figured you had done this already, but I was wondering if maybe one of the switches was bad and if you moved it back and forth it, may turn the lights off even for a split second. I initially thought you were talking about the dome lights.

As for the LED lights, I went out a looked at mine and they stayed on after the overhead dome lights turned off. The pin switch did dim the LED on the dome light but does not (as near as I could tell) dim the door handle LED lights. I'll wait a half hour or so and go check them again (without opening the door) to see if they are still illuminated.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:54 PM
ga911
Advanced

Tim, no insult taken whatsoever. Let me know what you find out. I'm wondering if I have a faulty delay switch that never shuts off.

Firehawk, no problem with the doors or windows.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2006, 04:16 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

it sounds like its not seeing that the doors are closed, does the car lock ?
Old 11-06-2006, 04:17 PM
rbjbbb
Instructor

ga,
Sounds like the ignition switch problem. I had mine do the same thing, (once it killed the battery) and finally tracked it back to the switch. I have not replaced mine yet, but did lube and clean it via the key hole. My problem was that I could pull the key out and not hear the mechanical click that indicates the key is removed. If i did not hear that click, all lights stayed on. I would push the key back in and out til I heard the click. After lubing, i don't have to play with it to get it to work.
I should go ahead and spend the $30 for the part but have gotten lazy.

Hope yours is an easy fix,
RB
Old 11-06-2006, 05:50 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

you should never lube you ign switch via the key hole, all that nasty lube runns in to the colum and makes a mess. replace it and be done with it
Old 11-06-2006, 06:04 PM
rbjbbb
Instructor

agreed, I may have even shortened the life on it, but did cure the one prob.
on the lubing, i did clean and lube the key, not the key hole as I was a little fearful. I did use elect. cleanser in the keyhole though.
RB
Old 11-06-2006, 06:44 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my car, the radio and some other functions were not turning off - it was draining my battery - it was a problem with my ignition (in the words of a brilliant service tech, "the car didn't know I had turned it off") - once replaced, everything has worked great. Your problems sound a little different, but perhaps the ignition problem, which seems to be pretty common, can result in your symptoms as well?
Old 11-06-2006, 07:37 PM
dld c2
Cruisin'

i've had my 01-c2 since march and i noticed this led light thing right away, seemed as if they never turned off. i don't know how long they stay on but mine do go off when i'm not looking.
i drove my car yesterday and parked in the garage and was just reading your post (dark here) so i went out to check, all leds are out. i opened and closed the door and after the overhead and door lights went out (15-20 seconds) the leds stay on, i do not know how long.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:32 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

ga911 - well, my car has been parked in the garage since 5:30 P.M. (Eastern Time) and it is now 7:35 P.M. I just checked my car and the LEDs are still illuminated. So 2 hours and still "on." I have not had any issues with the battery draining, but my car is a daily driver.

My guess would be that something else is draining your battery. I'm not sure the LEDs would pull enough power to drain the battery.

Last edited by gota911; 11-07-2006 at 07:45 AM.

Quick Reply: HELP - Orientation lights stay on