Sponsored by:

Next question C2 vs. C4 vs. S

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next question C2 vs. C4 vs. S

I appreciated everyone's thoughts on a 996 vs. a 928 in my last opinion poll. Now I'm leaning toward a 996 cab, circa 2002-2003. We do get some snow in Cincy so I'm wondering whether I need a 4 wheeler. Some say a C2 with snow tires will do fine in moderate winters - we get 2-3 feet of snow in a typical winter - even better than a C4 with all weather tires. I like the idea of popping the hardtop on in winter as well. But do we need a 4 - or will a 2 do - and what about the S models? thanks!
Old 11-04-2006, 04:37 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

If you are worried about the snow, I'd get a C4 and with snow tires you should get through the winter without any problem. Don't forget that the 996 has a very low ground clerarance, so don't get over confident with the C4. My personal preference however would be to buy a C2 and a beater for the days it snows.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:43 PM
RamVA
Racer

Is there such a beast as a C4S cab? If there was it must have been only '04 or perhaps '04-05?

Edit: There was a 996C4S cab, but (I'm pretty sure) it's 2004-5 only.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:33 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The C2 w/snow tires works very well in snow. Mine C2 is a daily driver in Chicago all winter long. I have driven it in over 12" of snow with no problems.

A C4 will certainly out accelerate a C2 in the snow, but it's not going to stop any faster.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Here's some more interesting info about a C2 in the snow (check out page 3).

http://www.caranddriver.com/longroad...1-carrera.html

"WINTER TIRES: Only a few snow tires are made in the 18-inch size used by the 911's optional wheel-and-tire package. Our Pirelli Winter 210 Asimmetricos from The Tire Rack

(888–541–1777; www.tirerack.com) worked terrifically, providing excellent traction in the white stuff, whether it was fresh powder or slippery slush. In combination with the 911's 62-percent rear-weight bias, these tires will ensure that Porsche owners can outdrag SUVs in winter and summer."
Old 11-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, anyone else want to chime in?
Old 11-05-2006, 11:19 AM
care4era
Racer

C4 has more traction hands down. Imagine going up a steep incline in the snow with rear wheel drive only. The turbo is a AWD as well. The C4 feels like it is on rails and is super steady on the road. Coming into this time of year it is a no brainer for me. It is not like it is a winter only car either, you get mega traction on corners in the summer too and is steady at 250 km/h plus whereas I have read that the front of a C2 can get light at those speeds.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:00 PM
care4era
Racer

http://pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?t=314061

I found this one. It seems the debate will never die. Basically t looks like:

C2 owners will tell you you do not need AWD.
C4 owners will tell you you cannot do without AWD.

From my personal experience I own BMW 330ci RWD and it is a death trap in the snow because the back end is too light. After an accident I read a pro driver who reccommended sticking a bag of sand in the boot to counter act this. We get a lot of snow in Czech, so after my bimma mishap I 100% wanted an AWD.

With the C2 the engine is in the back, so I could imagine the front end being too light and there being less traction when going up mountain roads etc.

Think someone who lives in the mountains needs to speak as you will never get an objective answer unless you have someone that drives or has driven both in winter conditions.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:29 PM
s14roller
Racer

If it's not going to snow too much I'm sure a c2 will be fine. The my 02 is probably the most stable RWD car I've ever driven. IMO the c4 would be overkill in every situation other than snow.
I personally just use a beater car in the rain/winter...91 Accord baby!
Old 11-05-2006, 02:11 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok...here is the end to the debate.....C2 or C4 they are both awesome cars...now the differences....The C4 has better grip in all conditions not just wet or snow, but in those conditions its an amazing amount of grip. The C2 is lighter and has lighter steering..being lighter it has slightly better acceleration and braking. DRIVE THEM BOTH....I did and liked the feel of the C4 better tan the C2...just my opinion. Now the C4 will have more understear stock, suspension mods, alighnment, and sway bars can eliminate that completely. So if you plan to do any mods, know that your C4 will handle just as good as a C2....I have been on drives with other Porsche's and on some very high speed corners, C2's couldnt do the same speeds...my c4 was so stable, I could have pushed it more....the road was damp...Now the differences I speak of here are so minute, you probably couldnt tell unless you were on a track. Except in the wet....you will feel the differnce immediately. The C4 is sooo stable its hard if not impossible to get the back end to break....I have not once gotten it to do it....The one time it started to, the PSM and AWD system kicked in before I knew what was happening and by the time I was going to react, it had already corrected itself...Again..drive them both, buy what you like better.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Cincy is not exactly known for it's heavy snows, you'll be fine with the C2. Plus you'll get a lighter, quicker car with more steering feel and superior handling for the summer!!
Old 11-06-2006, 04:55 AM
care4era
Racer

"Cincy is not exactly known for it's heavy snows, you'll be fine with the C2. Plus you'll get a lighter, quicker car with more steering feel and superior handling for the summer!!"

"2002 Porsche 996 C2"

Heh, again from a c2 owner. Hardly objective.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by care4era

Heh, again from a c2 owner. Hardly objective.
Have you ever been to Cincinnati?? I lived just outside of Cincy for 4 years. They don't get much snow.

I now live in Chicago and we get quite a bit of snow here. I drive my C2 in this snow all winter long and it works just fine with snow tires. I can often out-accelerate 4WD suv's from stoplights on snow covered roads. The car has no problems climbing hills and I have driven it in well over 12" of snow with no issues.

Will it out-accelerate a C4 in the snow.....no way. However, it will stop just as quickly. I have owned several "Quattro" Audi's in the past and I am very cognizant of some of the advantages a good AWD system can provide in foul weather.

So, is a C2 as good as a C4 in the snow, no way (then again a C4 is not as good as a C2 in the dry and this is the "rub").

Some enthusiast (like myself) do not want the associated trade-offs of such a system on our sports cars (yes, I have also driven a 996 C4).

So, for the original poster if you feel you need the extra security get the C4. If not, get the C2. How's that for objective??
Old 11-06-2006, 12:10 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok..I live in SoCal.....NO SNOW EVER where I am...It rains like 21 days a year, but when it does the roads are VERY slick...I drove a C2 and a C4...The C4 felt more planted, had more grip, and was more stable....maybe that bit of instability is more "pure", but I didnt want it. I came from a Boxster and that was as pur of a sports car as you can get, very neutral handling, very responsive steering, light, fun car. The 996 is a beast compared to a 986...for me it had 100 extra horses, and the engine in the rear gave you insane grip exiting corners....the downside for me was the the understeer. Got a set of PSS9's and BAM the handling was perfect.....The AWD system in the C4 is amazingly advanced and works very, very well....when you use it properly its quite rewarding to drive hard on your favorite twisties...

Quick Reply: Next question C2 vs. C4 vs. S