Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Maybe selling my 996 C4s wanted to get some price idea!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 07:43 PM
kem
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You get what you pay for. There is a reason the majority are TT's are going for $70K-$90K.

When buying a used car, especially a nice one you definitely don't want to buy one that is in the lowest percentile of the price range. I personally would not touch a TT unless its in the low 70's.

I think his car is worth at least $60K, its getting pretty hard to find a '02 with such low miles.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:50 AM
Blackspeedster
Advanced

I think what people seem to miss on these boards is the difference between asking prices and selling prices in $40k plus cars. In the TT, the difference can be really huge. Before I bought my 996 cab, I was looking at 2001 TTs in Las Vegas and Los Angeles. One dealer had six of them and was really ready to deal way off of his asking prices. I also think there are buyers who simply don't want a TT and would rather have a C4S even for the same $$.

Originally Posted by kem
You get what you pay for. There is a reason the majority are TT's are going for $70K-$90K.

When buying a used car, especially a nice one you definitely don't want to buy one that is in the lowest percentile of the price range. I personally would not touch a TT unless its in the low 70's.

I think his car is worth at least $60K, its getting pretty hard to find a '02 with such low miles.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:53 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I think what people seem to miss on these boards is the difference between asking prices and selling prices in $40k plus cars.

A Dealer near me had an '03 C2 vert with 37K miles on his lot and the asking price for that car was $63K. The car looked in decent shape and was nicely equipped but I told the salesman that I thought the price was too high. Without a seconds hesitation he asked me if I would be willing to pay $55K for the car. If he was willing to knock $8K off that quickly, it makes you wonder what his true bottom line price was.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:08 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackspeedster
I think what people seem to miss on these boards is the difference between asking prices and selling prices in $40k plus cars. In the TT, the difference can be really huge. Before I bought my 996 cab, I was looking at 2001 TTs in Las Vegas and Los Angeles. One dealer had six of them and was really ready to deal way off of his asking prices. I also think there are buyers who simply don't want a TT and would rather have a C4S even for the same $$.
I have been looking for a 911 for a while and from what I have seen the asking prices for C2s, C4s, and C4s' is optimistic to put it mildly. The fact that I can see several 996ts with CPO and c. 30k miles in the $60-70k range means that I am not even considering the normally aspirated cars in the $50-70k range. Even a good 997 or 997s with some decent options is available for under $70k.

Porsche built and sold a lot of 996s. With all the inventory available it's a buyers market and the prices are coming down accrdingly.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:09 PM
clifforza
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In August I bought a 2002 C4S 27K miles, stock, from a dealer, CPOed. They were asking $59,877. I had a trade-in so the deal got somewhat convoluted but I figure I paid $57K real money for it. Paint and interior colors, wheels, etc. can make a $1000 difference here or there depending on how fast you want to sell it. Unfortunately aftermarket bits seldom return the investment.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:26 PM
mario911c4s
Intermediate

I guess you can get all sorts of cars. I cleaned my car today and drove it. I fell in love with it again. I would never give this car up in low 50's. I think i will hand it down to the next generation... one day. I am looking forward to see and meet you guys at the next PCA events in the spring.

Thanks for all your input.

Mario
Old 11-05-2006, 06:52 AM
gillie
Instructor

When guys ask the question: How much is my P-car worth there are so many variables to consider it's very difficult to anwser.

Do you want to sell it or do you have to sell it?
Will the market be better in the spring?
Is someone going to actually pay more for the costly options I put in the car?

The list could probably go on and on.

To gauge the value it's reasonable to see what similar cars SOLD for not what their enthusiastic owners were asking. The answer to this is vague because you can never be sure unless you talk directly to the seller.

When dealers sell cars and you are trading the sales tax is reduced. That could represent a couple of thousand bucks.

A CPO'd car with a couple of years of additional warranty is worth $1500 or so.

The bottom line fact is that these cars, with very rare exceptions, depreciate. The economy, introduction of new models, and a whole slew of other variables come into play.

If someone thinks his five year old Porsche is worth $65K and is ready to endure the grief of trying to find the guy who agrees with him he may wait some time. If he thinks he's being ripped when some joker offers $48K then he has to start focusing on finding a buyer that will pay the fair price.

The real problem, if you follow these boards, is that "the fair price" is never exactly fair to the buyer or the seller. Actually I would prefer to use the word "reasonable" rather than fair.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

My suggestion is to keep it and enjoy it!!

I use my Porsches as daily drivers. Two kids (8 year old daughter and 4 year old son). Let go of getting a scratch or two due to your 3 year-old and just enjoy the heck of driving such a nice car more often. Life is really very short...

To the comments on prices for 996TT... I recently got mine for US$62.5K - 2002 with 49,500miles from the dealer with CPO, new set of tires, and a check for the 60K service with an brake fluid change (US$1,500.00) - so there are deals out there.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

According to Manheim Auctions a 2002 C4S w/ 10K miles is worth:
$52,400 - Above average condition - Auction price
$56,900 - Above average condition - Retail price

This does not include upgrades which are often worthless unless you find someone willing to pay up for them. Porsche buyers are usually willing to pay up for a nice low mile car with tasteful upgrades - like this car.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:48 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Truble-

I do not mean to hijack this thread.....

Do you know where I can get access to those manheim numbers? I am in the market for a 996 and was wondering if this should give me a better indication of a fair price for the models that I am looking for.

-Ryan
Old 11-07-2006, 08:20 AM
4afewdollarsmore
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Truble10
According to Manheim Auctions a 2002 C4S w/ 10K miles is worth:
$52,400 - Above average condition - Auction price
$56,900 - Above average condition - Retail price

This does not include upgrades which are often worthless unless you find someone willing to pay up for them. Porsche buyers are usually willing to pay up for a nice low mile car with tasteful upgrades - like this car.
Truble- where did you obtain the auction price? I did not think the public had access to that valuable data.

Thanks very much.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 4afewdollarsmore
Truble- where did you obtain the auction price? I did not think the public had access to that valuable data.

Thanks very much.
Manheim is not 'public' information. I am registered under my buddies dealer license and attend the auctions on occasion.

Quick Reply: Maybe selling my 996 C4s wanted to get some price idea!