Sponsored by:

What caused this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 07:51 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What caused this?

I took my 99 in for installation of PSS9's at a reputable establishment. When I picked it up, the owner (super guy, very professional) told me that he didn't have a chance to test drive it but that if I noticed anything to bring it right back. I haven't had a chance to drive it much, but today going over RR tracks, I heard a clunking sound in the right rear. I also noticed that the engine temp is edging over the "0" when it used to just sit right between the 8 and the 0, and I catch a whiff of hot coolant. The car has never run over the "0" before, and the weather is cooling off dramatically, so it's not ambient temps causing it.

Can anyone tell me if in the process of putting on a set of PSS9's.... is there something in that vicinity that a person could knock loose that might cause that hot coolant smell? I recently replaced the old style blue coolant cap with the newer black one...so it's not the cap. It may just be coincidence and a coolant tank going bad....but I've got to ask anyway.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:59 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think one has anything to do with the other but on my 996 I install a Factory 3rd radiator and it always stays at the 1 of 180.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Check you coolant expansion tank for leaks. The coolant expansion tank provides an buffer for the coolant to 'overflow' to when the cooling system is running. Replace yours with a new one if it is cracked or if there is corrosion inside. I had the same problems without the clunking, changed the expansioin tank and temp looked good. Early 996 have a problem with their expansion tanks. A new porsche expansion tank is an upgrade from the old at 250$.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:48 AM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense meant to your mechanic but i wouldn't take my car to someone for service if they told me I had to test drive it myself and let them know if I had any problems.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:57 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe he DID test drive it & heard the clunk, smelt the coolant, etc., & wanted to see if you would notice.......
Old 11-01-2006, 06:38 PM
PowerTechParts
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tanks in those cars break often. I know that there have been 3 updates to the tanks by now. I have them in stock. The tank might have broken because of the stiffer spring rates the PSS9 runs. (more vibration) I would check that tank and get it replaced. As far as the clunk could possible be the spring seating itself correctly on the shock. At 1st when you have a car up in the air and then put it back down the spring will not seat in the correct location but if you hit some bumps then the spring shakes and settles. Bring the car to him have them check out the suspension. Worse comes to worse it is nothing and your alright. Should be no charge to have that done.
When you ask if there is anyway someone can hit the tank or cause something to break with coolant while doing the install that is just not possible. Let us know how you make out.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Thanks for the feedback...I'll take it back.....and yes OH997...when I pushed the transmit button, I immediately thought...oh oh...someone is going to jump on that issue of the fact the guy didn't test drive the car. You're right...he should have test driven it....and it's going back for a check and test drive to find the clunk. I don't know enough about the coilovers to say if they just haven't seated themselves...but that's something for the installer to deal with.

It is possible that the stiffer ride could have caused the coolant tank to crack....it's just that the coincidence didn't sit right with me....but I didn't know if during the install of the coilovers....is the coolant tank close enough for someone to break something?

Trending Topics

Old 11-01-2006, 08:09 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by David A
I don't think one has anything to do with the other but on my 996 I install a Factory 3rd radiator and it always stays at the 1 of 180.
Without meaning to hijack the thread, I'm curious about this: I've read a lot of posts from people who are concerned about exactly where the temp needle is on the gage. The manual just says it should be "in the middle", if memory serves. And I just figured that some natural variability was the point of having a gage in the first place, otherwise it would just be an idiot light.

Mine is sometimes between the 8 and the 0, other times right on top of the 0 or a hair higher. I wasn't worried... just figured it was the thermostat doing its thing depending on engine load, a/c on or off, whatever. Am I being too laissez faire?

Thanks, and again, sorry to hijack your thread.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:19 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Without meaning to hijack the thread, I'm curious about this: I've read a lot of posts from people who are concerned about exactly where the temp needle is on the gage. The manual just says it should be "in the middle", if memory serves. And I just figured that some natural variability was the point of having a gage in the first place, otherwise it would just be an idiot light.

Mine is sometimes between the 8 and the 0, other times right on top of the 0 or a hair higher. I wasn't worried... just figured it was the thermostat doing its thing depending on engine load, a/c on or off, whatever. Am I being too laissez faire?

Thanks, and again, sorry to hijack your thread.
This has come up before and most owners have replied "between the 8 and the 0" which seems to be the norm.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:06 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Will a crack in the coolant tank cause the car to run slightly hotter than normal? I've noticed that since I started smelling hot coolant, the car runs a tad bit hotter on the gauge than it did before. Do you think that a leaking tank would cause that?
Old 11-02-2006, 09:27 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A leak in the tank will cause it to run hotter....I think it has to do with the fact it
cannot be pressurized now, but not sure.

Quick Reply: What caused this?