Sponsored by:

winter storage - tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 11:23 AM
jjker
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts
Default winter storage - tires

I park my car in the winter. I wondered what the rule was for tires. I am planning to inflate the tires to the max pressure indicated on the side wall, and park the car with the tires on plywood (I've heard the concrete floor is hard on them).

I live North of Toronto, so the temp in my garage during January or February, can easily be below freezing.

My question is, would I be better off to leave the tire pressures normal, and jack the car and leave it all winter on jack stands?

Thanks.

Jason
Old 10-28-2006, 11:48 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I would not jack it......rather than plywood though, stop by your local carpet store and buy 15-20 of his old carpet sample squares (18X18 or whatever, at a buck or 2 each)......drive the car up on 3 or so under each tire........don't forget to fill your tank, top your battery, plug in your tender.

.......or buy a set of winter shoes and keep driving
Old 10-28-2006, 12:15 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason - I live in the northeast and what I do when I put my car away for the winter is

1) inflate the tire +10 over what you would normally do
2) Roll the car up onto carpet remnants (I go 3 thick)

If your garage gets wet from other cars/snow (and you don't want the carpets to get wet) - you can use rubber car mats under the carpet remnants. Just get cheap generic ones, you just need a lip on the edge of them so that the water doesn't roll onto the carpet. The carpet helps keep the tires from getting flat spots and keeps the tires directly away from the cold concrete.

Hope this helps....
Old 10-28-2006, 12:52 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

For the past 5 winters I parked my Boxster with the tires at about 7 to 10 PSI over spec on concrete garage floor (with full tank, fuel stabilizer, battery maintainer, etc.). The first two winters I had Pirellis and they took at least 20-30 miles of driving in the spring to smooth out the flatspots. The last 3 years I had Bridgestone S02A's and they smoothed out in the spring in only about 5-10 miles. One year I pushed the car a a few inches forward and backward every few weeks so it sat in a few different spots on the tires. It didn't seem to make any difference.

I plan to do the same with the C4S this year. My only question about parking on carpet squares, does that potentially hold any dampness against the tires and wouldn't that be bad? I don't know.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:38 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

manual says inflate to 58 psi and do not jack the car up. fill up gas and change engine oil. make sure the garage is clean and mouse free (not a joke)
Old 10-28-2006, 04:58 PM
jjker
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, guys. I know to do the oil change, and to fill it with gas and stabilizer. I never thought of carpet squares... I'll consider that.

I'm pretty sure I'm mouse free, and the garage is indeed clean.

What do you guys do with your battery? Trickle charging it all winter seems excessive... I assume a "maintainer" is something of a monitor that charges when need be, and does nothing unless required?
Old 10-28-2006, 05:25 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

How about these to prevent flat spotting?
Tire cradle
Old 10-28-2006, 05:40 PM
JReid
Instructor

$344 plus shipping?!?! That's offensive. I'll stick with carpet.

To the OP, buy the small Battery Tender (the JR., I believe it's called), top off the tank and change the oil (like the others said). Put some plywood followed by carpet squares under the tires and a cover over the car and you'll be good to go. Couldn't hurt to fire it up once or twice a month either.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:55 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up Two thumbs up for the Porsche Battery Maintainer

Originally Posted by jjker
What do you guys do with your battery? Trickle charging it all winter seems excessive... I assume a "maintainer" is something of a monitor that charges when need be, and does nothing unless required?
I'm totally convinced that the Porsche Battery Maintainer is the way to go. I used it on my Boxster for 5 winters and when I traded the car, the original 5-year old battery was still working like new. I just plugged it into the lighter socket at the beginning of winter, and unplugged it in the spring.

I bought mine from Suncoast... http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...Code=POTE996CC
But it is a standard Porsche part that should be available at any dealer.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:05 PM
grahamtwatson
Intermediate

When I used to winterize my boat, I'd get a can of "fogging spray" from the boat dealers - basically light oil with an atomiser on the can. The idea was to run the engine, and spray the fogging spray into the intake until the engine stalled. This left a very fine coating of oil over all the cylinders, exposed valve stems, guides etc.... Starting it up the first time for the next boating season took a little longer, and resulted in a small cloud of smoke as the oil burnt off, but it prevented any possibility of rust in the cylinder top end, or so the boat dealer insisted.

One other thing - if it gets seriously cold in your garage, you might want to make absolutely certain that your antifreeze mix is up to scratch. You do NOT want the water to freeze. Again, I used to go to great lengths to make sure all the water was out of the block in my boat (it was lake water, and antifreeze wasn't an option.

I'm not sure how relevant this is to your Boxer engine, but I'm sure someone will comment.

I bought my 911 to drive - if it got really cold then studded tires would be my solution.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:18 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Tire Cradles for 5 years now. No flat spots at all. http://www.tirecradle.com/
Well worth the money. They will last forever.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:06 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If your car is going to be in your home garage, why wouldn't you simply start the car every three weeks on a nice day and back it out onto the driveway. Starting your car regularly and completely warming it up is better than any method of storage except a climate controlled garage and all the prep associated with storage.If you move your car once every 4 weeks, there is no need to do anything to your tires.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:04 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Totally agree with 1999. That is the way to do it.

Mark (MarkinMD), I am not sure why you feel the need to store your car in Fred, MD.? I grew up out outside the beltway and there was NEVER a need to store a car over the winter.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:43 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To 1999Porsche911
I once backed my Corvette out in the middle of winter and on flat level drive that was plowed almost could not get it back in. The Porsche would do better I think but unless you drive it and fully warm it up you are going to do more harm than good. Once it snows here in Minnesota the roads are always a mess and full of salt residue. Driving it then parking it would mean the salt would still be on the body and under carriage doing bad stuff especially in a warm attached garage.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:21 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
To 1999Porsche911
I once backed my Corvette out in the middle of winter and on flat level drive that was plowed almost could not get it back in. The Porsche would do better I think but unless you drive it and fully warm it up you are going to do more harm than good. Once it snows here in Minnesota the roads are always a mess and full of salt residue. Driving it then parking it would mean the salt would still be on the body and under carriage doing bad stuff especially in a warm attached garage.

So, are you telling me that your driveway is NEVER clear in the winter months and has salt all over it. Just back it up to move the tires and let it idle for 30 minutes, run the air conditioning, clutch and brakes, then put it back where it was. It doesn't get dirty or wet, the tranny fluid becomne nice and warm, the oil reaches full operating temperature, seals become nice and coated, moisture is removed from the exhaust and other engine componants, etc, etc.

What's not to like about doing this? Even just moving it back a little in the garage and ruunning it is fine.

Quick Reply: winter storage - tires