Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 11:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,680 Likes on 2,334 Posts

hey, i understand your points well now.
and i agree with them.
my gripe was just that, like all professions, there are saints and there are dog ****. i just explode when ppl tell me (not you specifically) that all cops are good, are doing their job or are bad or idiots. that's all.

well now that i am way off topic and provided some bad experience i had with cops, let me put in a good story. i was speeding, coming off thunderhill, anything less than 100mph seems stationary. a sentra was following me.... suddenly siren and light blazing from the sentra, i kid you now. PA system goes off, pull over, this is CHP, you can follow me to the CHP station...." well i pulled over. he showed me the badge and i knew i f'k up. i told him, sorry officer, i just go out of the race track and was a bit over my head and clearly way over speed limilt. he's was good natured, off duty, told me... yeah, i know. you are going fast, but not zig zaggin and dont appear on drugs or drun.. slow it down a notch and carry on. that little chat was much more useful than slowing me down, saving my life and others lives then giving me a tix. i admire that, he was HELPING me learn, not just stiff me with a tix b/c if he did, i would just pay the fine and cont. to speed to be spiteful (remember, i was young and idiotic then).

Originally Posted by oreganet
I don't dispute the right to fight a ticket. I don't dispute that traffic laws are used as revenue generators. I agree and I wish anyone who gets off a ticket well .

I dispute people using a bad attitude towards people who are simply doing their job and enforcing dumb laws that the people WE elected put on the books.

Sure, there are some bad cops out there, but the vast majority are good people who care and love their job. They do a job that neither you nor I would do - a very dangerous one at that.

When I see bouts of verbal diarrhoea, such as the junk that Nicholaas routinely spouts I think that someone needs to take off their hat of superiority and put themselves in the shoes of a cop for just 5 minutes. Maybe they'll then develop and insight and maturity way beyond their shoe size and realize that sometimes we just have to see life from someone else's perspective, take some self-responsibility for our actions, stop whining about how hard done-by we are and be proactive about making a change in our attitude.

Just my $0.02
Old 10-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oreganet
Examples you might need a cop for? just a short list -
you car gets stolen, your wife gets raped, your house gets broken into
Come on, get real. In your list above most police departments crime fighting response would consist of writing a report for a stolen car or a home theft. They would then refer you to your insurance company to replace your property. If you believe they are going to crack open the fingerprinting kit, interview neigbors and actually try to solve these crimes you've been watching too much CSI. The only crime you listed that would probably get the attention of most departments is rape.

Yet many of these same departments will pour huge amounts of money, personal and sophisticated equipment into speed limit enforcement.

What is the difference??? MONEY!! They get nothing for catching the little worm who keyed your car, but they get $75 if they spot you going 8 mph over the limit. Worse still, government used to set limits looking at the 85th percentile rule. Now limits are often set to maximize revenue.

I am not going to defend the terminology used by some to describe the police. However, in many cases the poor reputation of police officers in the general public have been earned by their poor behavior and tactics. The worst of which are laws (like speeding) that they will not hesitate to apply to the public and often ignor themselves. I know and have met multiple police officers who will privately admit that they just "flash the badge" to get out of speeding tickets. One in particular is probably the most flagrant speeder I have ever met.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Ray, I'm sure you're a smart guy.

The world isn't as perfect as we all would like it to be. We're coming into performance appraisal season and as I tell my reports, there's always room for improvement.

I should only need to say three words to explain that in a world of finite resources and infinite ways to get into trouble these three words rule EVERY part of our lives: cost/benefit analysis. It's that simple. True for them, true for us.

I have a value on one hour of my time - if a task costs less to have someone else do a job than the value I put on my time, then I pay someone to do it. Police deploy resources where they can have most effect. We might not like that and might disagree, but until you're in charge of staffing, then I guess we live with it. Sadly, the world is not perfect and we elect and employ idiots to be our public officials. Until that changes, then I guess we have to put up with the flawed people that we put into positions of power.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:00 AM
AndrewWK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LEO's are just like every other person with a regular job. Take a look around your work or Rennlist for that matter... How many A-holes do you find, 1 in 10? more? less? Same rules apply. As far as revenue generation, the LEO's who actually do the checkpoints and speedtraps have no control over their frequency of operation. They are simply assigned a task to complete (just like most of us at the office) or a quota in order to receive a decent review and advance their career and avoid being reprimanded, written up, demoted, etc. Most of these guys would rather not have to sit in the bushes all night and listen to us whine about how we didn't realize we were going that fast... As far as cops violating the law, I find it hard to believe any officer would run code to a "ballgame" as someone stated, as this is A BIG no no with very harsh consequences (loss of job etc). Showing the badge when stopped in plain clothes is done out of necessity, as most officers conceal carry off-duty and are required by law to identify themselves as such upon a traffic stop. It is then at the LEO's discretion on whether or not to issue a ticket and this varies from department to department but most do not ticket for minor speeding infractions out of professional courtesy. Derogatory remarks have no place or purpose furthering one's argument and only reflect poorly upon the poster.

climbing down the

Andrew
Old 10-23-2006, 04:15 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewWK
LEO's are just like every other person with a regular job. Take a look around your work or Rennlist for that matter... How many A-holes do you find, 1 in 10? more? less? Same rules apply. As far as revenue generation, the LEO's who actually do the checkpoints and speedtraps have no control over their frequency of operation. They are simply assigned a task to complete (just like most of us at the office) or a quota in order to receive a decent review and advance their career and avoid being reprimanded, written up, demoted, etc.
I agree. It's a problem with the system, not so much with the officers themselves (there are exceptions at both extremes). Last year the state parol here was giving away prizes to the guys that wrote the must speeding tickets (a model WSP car woth several hundred dollars). Media got wind of it.. lots of people were pretty mad. I'm sure that was not the only instances of 'spiffs' for writing the most revenue generating citations.

These guys have to deal with dismembered bodies, idiots going 200 MPH on the freeway (sometimes pulling a wheelie the entire time.. it's not easy job for sure). I don't envy them. The sytem that puts them out there on the roads just to fill ticket quotas is something I have a MAJOR problem with. I also know that for the most part they don't set speed limits. I know the CHP activly lobies the CA legislature to set limits WELL BELOW the engineering servey.. I've read them myself.

I find it hard to believe any officer would run code to a "ballgame" as someone stated, as this is A BIG no no with very harsh consequences (loss of job etc).
This I do not. I been witness to this myself during a ride along. I've watched a cap beat the snot out of a drug dealer, take his drugs, let him go and then use them himself. I'd met several of his buddies involved in petty crime while on and off duty. Mind blowing. So running code to get places? I have not doubt that goes on.

Derogatory remarks have no place or purpose furthering one's argument and only reflect poorly upon the poster.
Agreed. That's an 'F' in Debate 101.

As far as the professional courtesy goes. Well.. let's just say that a simple business card in the hand of a drunk is sometimes good enough to keep them from going to jail that night. Please.. I really wish I didn't know that sort of stuff went on out there. I can't image who much city and state officials get away with....
Old 10-24-2006, 02:16 AM
vove
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We got a bunch of old men wearing g-strings in here...lol.

The good cops are called police and the bad ones are called 'pigs'. Discussion over.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:57 AM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vove
We got a bunch of old men wearing g-strings in here...lol.

The good cops are called police and the bad ones are called 'pigs'. Discussion over.
Agree'd in full! Take off the G-strings and put your boxers back on.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Agree'd in full! Take off the G-strings and put your boxers back on.
The coolest of us don't deal with underwear.

Quick Reply: WON MY SPEEDING TICKET!