Sponsored by:

Used 2003 wisdom

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006 | 05:20 PM
TRW
Advanced

Default Used 2003 wisdom

I am searching for some opinions.
Over the past year I had been looking at 99 - 01 996's as that was my price range but backed off after hearing many comments about staying away from a used 996 that isn't under a warranty of some kind. Also there is at least some opinions out there that suggest staying away from per 2002's.

I have also noticed the falling resale values on the early 996's seems to be picking up the pace. Do you think this is something that we will start seeing with the 2002+ models. While I am not looking at the car as an investment I also don't want to ignore relatively stable resale values vs. plunging resale values. Thoughts?

I have found a priviate owner 2003 C2 coupe 21k, mi Bose, Xenons, PSM, heated / power / memory leather seats, 18" sheels, Crest in headrest and painted wheel caps. New tires. All records. Porsche certified through Oct 2008. 3rd owner. No accidents. It was priced at $50,000 but I got the price down to $46,750. Thoughts on this price? Seems to be a competivie price after searching on Cars.com and Autotrader. I would get a PPI before finalizing.

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2006 | 05:27 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

I can't comment on accelerating depreciation rates. I rather doubt that that is true. The earlier models years are just getting up there in years. The '03 you are looking at is now four model years old.

As the owner of an '03 C2 coupe, that price seems pretty good to me.
Old 10-16-2006 | 06:00 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

I also have an '03 C2 Coupe. I have a few more options than that one (CD Changer, coloured centre console, alu dials, sport classic II wheels, PSE , flared rocker panels), 10K less miles, and CPO'd through 2009 - bought from a dealer a few weeks back for $60k.

I think I got an excellent deal. I think yours also sounds competitive.
Old 10-16-2006 | 06:49 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRW
I am searching for some opinions.
I have also noticed the falling resale values on the early 996's seems to be picking up the pace. Do you think this is something that we will start seeing with the 2002+ models. While I am not looking at the car as an investment I also don't want to ignore relatively stable resale values vs. plunging resale values. Thoughts?
I disagree that the depreciation rates are accelerating. As DCP said these models are just getting up there in years.

FWIW, that seem like a very good price on the '03. Don't buy the car as an financial investment, you'll end up disappointed.

However, if you buy it as an investment in "fun" you'll be truly "rich"!!
Old 10-16-2006 | 07:00 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

IMO, that is probably a pretty good deal. However, even if it is CPO'd until 10/08, I would still recommend a PPI just to be sure (but I would recommend that no matter how old the car is, and regardless of warranty status).

When I was looking earlier this year, I noticed that the price can dip quite a bit for out of warranty cars. At least that was the variable that the price differentials seemed to most closely track. I also think that the resale on older (read pre-facelift, 3.4 liter) cars dropped as Porsche raised the price on re-manufactured replacement engines last summer. This makes sense to me as the risk for the buyer has increased. Once again, this is only my non-scientific observation. The 3.6s (i.e. '02-'04) are generally considered to be cured of the common ailments of the 3.4s, as well as have the benefits of a few other enhancements. I expect this will lead to slightly more stable resale values.

All that said... don't set unrealistic expectations. The 996 was a very mass market car for a Porsche, so I don't think we have seen the bottom yet. Then again, I am no expert. So perhaps I shouldn't babble on about this.
Old 10-16-2006 | 07:10 PM
BlackCab996
Rennlist Member

I probably paid $2 to $3k more than I would have if I had more knowledge before my purchase. I learned of this site too late in my purchasing process. That said, I chalk it up to experience and the car has been so much fun that I don't even care. I just think about how much I paid below the original MSRP and smile. Your price might have some additional wiggle room, but it seems pretty good.
Old 10-16-2006 | 10:36 PM
42empress
Racer

If it checks out, that sounds like a good deal.
Old 10-16-2006 | 11:06 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rroobbcc
I also think that the resale on older (read pre-facelift, 3.4 liter) cars dropped as Porsche raised the price on re-manufactured replacement engines last summer. This makes sense to me as the risk for the buyer has increased.
This is an interesting theory, but I just don't buy it. First it would require the average used 996 purchaser have an awareness of the increase. Second, this purchaser would have to figure he had a pretty good chance of blowing an engine.

I really don't think most people follow the purchase price of the remanufactured engines or have any expectation that the motor will fail.

Rather, I believe that these cars will continue to depreciate as 99% of all cars do. Additionally, I haven't seen any major price swings that would lead me to believe that the rate of 996 depreciation is accelerating.
Old 10-17-2006 | 04:59 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

I bought an '03 coupe this weekend. Seal Grey/Black with full leather, Xenons, Tiptronic, 18" wheels, aluminum door sills, dials, etc., etc. Fairly loaded with options and an original MSRP was $86,850. On the negative side, it has high miles at 47,100, needs new rotors in the front, and at the time of purchase there were no maintenance records. CarFax showed it was a once owner vehicle that just came off a 3 year lease. I paid $40,500.

I immediately drove to the dealer and had them pull their records on the car and I now have full maintenance records on it. It was well cared for with 15K and 30K services performed and intermediate oil changes done between the minor and major services. I can replace the rotors myself, so I am only looking at about $300 in parts to get the car up to standard. I feel like I did pretty well on the deal.

No jokes about the Tip, I bought the car for my wife.
Old 10-17-2006 | 06:23 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Sounds like a good deal; I got my 2003 Cab (nicely optioned... $90K sticker) under warranty and CPO till May 2009 for 58K in June
Old 10-17-2006 | 10:55 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

The tip cars are selling for alot less money in this part of the world, no i am not dumping on the tip cars. It seems like a good deal to me, but you will see the same car will sell for more/less so if you like it and you want it........Just buy it
Old 10-18-2006 | 03:34 PM
axel6
Advanced

I have an 03 C2 with PSE, sport seats, sport chassis and colored crests. Paid $56k at a Porsche dealer with CPO.

Yours sounds like a great deal.

Quick Reply: Used 2003 wisdom