996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tequipment Rollbar

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 06:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Nope, had it done in Raleigh. If I did have it done in Vegas I would have taken it to either Carl's Place (best indy I have ever done business with) or Premier Sportscar Service (Peterson White Lightning Racing) which is a serious race shop and authorized PCNA warranty and service facility. Kent Moore (and his guys) is awesome and would routinely frequent the track on DE weekends and help out in the paddock. ( http://www.premiersportscarservice.com/about.html )
Old 10-12-2006, 07:17 PM
smankow
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in a coupe, the install isn't too bad. you do need to remove both seats for better access. It took 2 of us a little over an hour but we were taking our time. Some of the bolts have tight access, but with patience, it isn't too bad.

Steve
Old 10-12-2006, 11:04 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it wasn't for the potential damage to the bolt holes, a re-install could be done in less than 2 hours, but the chance of dinging the a thread is high. Just ask me how I know....
For the track the DAS is better and PCA legal for club racing.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:56 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which version of the rollbar are you referring to? There are 2: 4-point and triangulated with cross-bars. There is no way you could use the rear seats if you have the version with the cross bar. I suspect the regular 4-point version was specifically for those looking to use the rear seats. I don't believe you will be be able to fold down the rear seats with it installed. It mount to the rear passenger out seat belt mount. The rear bars should block the rear seat from being folded down.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:45 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got the tequipment rolbar with crossbrace for my '04 turbo cab and I can uninstall it in about 10 minutes and reinstall in about 20-30min. The trick I do is use a ratcheting tie-down strap to pull both the side bars which mount to the lower seat brackets together...making the bar slide in and out easy (of course I have no roof, so I just lift it up...no need to remove seats). I did swap out the standard bolts used for the lower mount to different ones which are threaded all the way down...I found it easier to catch the hole then. Haven't stripped the holes yet...but I can see it being a PITA if you do.

Of course now I'm so lazy, I just leave it in all the time (track and street)
Old 10-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 532 Posts

If anyone wants a Tequipment bar without the cross brace I have one sitting in the garage. $450 plus shipping from 45243 Cincinnati.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

So Ryan........10 mintues out I can kinda believe but there is absoilutely NO FRICKIN WAY you can get that bar installed in 20-30 minutes especially with the seats still in the car. Nice try.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:11 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Easy there Dell...I'm running stock seats, so all I have to do is tilt them forward and slide them all the way up. Gives me complete access to the seatbelt bolts with no hinderance. Thing that talkes the longest is trying to align the damn bolts . Remember its a cab... just strap the bars, place it in the car and screw 4 bolts. I can see (and heard from friends) the the coupe install takes a long time, but I have no experience with that.

Last edited by rmag; 10-15-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:45 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I'd have to see it to believe it then Ryan. I thought the very same thing since mine is a CAB as well but there is NO WAY you can install that sucker in 20-30 minutes. If you can then I know of a Porsche indy here in Raleigh that has installed MANY of these would love to hire you. Matter of fact they told me that the CAB bar is harder to install than than the coupe one. I would have thought the opposite but that just ins't the case.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:02 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Dell... Not out to prove anything, but that's what it takes me. First time I did it, it took over an hour. Then when I removed it, I realized I needed the tiedown strap to get it out. Saw how that made it easy to maneuver the bar, so used it for the next install. Also hated the bolts it came with...they had about 1/2 inch of unthreaded material at the top (assumed this was to help "align" things). I found it to be a pain in the ***. So I swapped to regular hardened bolts without the 1/2 "starter". It takes a bit to align them, but less chance of stripping the holes...because either you have caught the threads...or your way off. Maybe I got lucky and my bar aligns well with my car....but all I'm doing is taking out 2 old seatbelt bolts, strapping the bar, dropping in the bar to the backseat, screw in 4 bolts, then remove the strap. I can't see how it would take much longer? Where are you spending most you time installing it? Try swapping to different bolts and use a strap. Hopefully that will cut down your time. Of course I've given up on removing it. After 3 or so times, I just left it in. Not like anyone uses the back seat

As for working as a rollbar installer...nah...I dont even like doing my own anymore.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Mine is staying for good. I'm not messing with it anymore
Old 10-16-2006, 12:26 PM
996 Convert
Racer

Ryan, you are giving me hope. That's exactly what I was expecting install-wise, not the 3 hour ordeal described by dell, though he is typically spot on with his expertise. Where in VA are you? Perhaps you can walk me through or preferably let me watch your install process? Thanks.

James
Old 10-16-2006, 12:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

James, seeing the install first hand would be the best. I thought it would be a 30 minute install since I have a CAB but I was sorely mistaken. Trust me, I wish it was a 30 minute install so I could un/install before/after track weekends. Maybe the key is different bolts and a ratchet. I just don't feel comfortable ratcheting the bar and possibly affecting the structural integrity of that bar (metal does fatigue).
Old 10-16-2006, 12:41 PM
996 Convert
Racer

You're right. I hope Ryan is close so I can take a look. On the other hand, I have been considering life with a dedicated two-seater. It's not like people inhabit the back seats of my car often anyway. Although no windscreen would suck for longer trips. Have you come up with a solution for that yet?
Old 10-16-2006, 12:43 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

No solution yet but I am working on fabricating an attachable mesh to fill the open areas of the rollbar that would be were the wind deflector was. Low on my priority list right now but hopefully I can find a solution soon before my wife gets tired of waiting for the solution.

Damn I wish somebody made a product like I am talking about so I could just open the checkbook!

Quick Reply: Tequipment Rollbar