Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

As a secondary car to P, which do you recommend? 07 Jag XK-R or BMW M6?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 05:08 PM
JJB236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default As a secondary car to P, which do you recommend? 07 Jag XK-R or BMW M6?

To add to my collection, I am planning on getting rid of my 01 Vette for another long-body design car. Vette has been fun for 2 years for me, but dangerously fun (one of the highest death along with Camaros, Firebird, Trans AM. I'm thinking it could be the type of people driving them? But I know that the cause of death in Vettes is when flipped over), and it's funny that a quite of few of girls I know who don't know jack about cars all commented that Vette looks just mean and that it has no class like the P. Other times, these girls were pointing out an old Jag XK and asked me what make it was that had beautiful shape.

I'm considering 07 Jag XK, BMW 6 series, and MB SL 500 (even though shorter body, got good looks, but a little femine looking without mods like bigger rims, IMO).

With reliability issues with British cars, I am leaning towards the 6 series which offers actual rear seats that average-size people could sit in. I tried researching the XK's reliability, but according to Edmunds, reviews are not as bad as those in the media.

Speaking of rear seats, I could not believe P cars being advertised on the cable ondemand claim to have rear seats or 4 seats in total. A 5'2" person could sit in the back seat uncomfortably, but to claim 4 adult seats. I think only P-cars could get away with this.

Last edited by JJB236; 09-28-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:32 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

m6
Old 09-28-2006, 05:45 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

With reliability issues with British cars, I am leaning towards the 6 series which offers actual rear seats that average-size people could sit in.

Are you sure? I was under the impression this is not the case. I have a 635CSi ('85) which has usable back seats, but I was under the distinct impression that the new 6 has legroom comparable to the 911's back seats..
Old 09-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

None of those cars would be on my short list.......but if forced to choose I'd take the M6 with a 6 speed manual (no SMG for me please).
Old 09-28-2006, 05:51 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

While the M6 is a very nice, powerful car, the fact remains it still has the completely and totally butt ugly trunk lid. When looking at the profile view, the trunk lid looks like it was an after-thought in the design. As someone on another thread put it, "it makes me think of Rosanne Bar in a mini skirt!"

Go for the XK-R.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:54 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

M6 is a run away winner on this one.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:54 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by justinmm2
With reliability issues with British cars, I am leaning towards the 6 series which offers actual rear seats that average-size people could sit in.

Are you sure? I was under the impression this is not the case. I have a 635CSi ('85) which has usable back seats, but I was under the distinct impression that the new 6 has legroom comparable to the 911's back seats..
That was what I thought with the 6 series. I haven't test driven it, but I got into a 6 series to check out the interior room and back seats. I'm 6'2", and I actually sat in the backseat. It wasn't comfortable, but definitely two medium-size adults could sit in the backseat. I would not fit in the P backseat for sure since there is no headroom for tall people. I test drove the '06 XK last year, and the backseat were not usable like our P cars.

I want to go test drive the 6 series this weekend, and if for the 2nd time, I find that rearseats are usable, my vote will be with the 6-series over 2-seater XK. I need a 4 passenger car, but not 4 doors. 6-series would definitely serve my purpose.

Wow, '85 635CSi sounds nice. How many miles on her? My '91 MB 300E, one I;ve had since college, has 189,000 original miles.

Last edited by JJB236; 09-28-2006 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:06 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by gota911
While the M6 is a very nice, powerful car, the fact remains it still has the completely and totally butt ugly trunk lid. When looking at the profile view, the trunk lid looks like it was an after-thought in the design. As someone on another thread put it, "it makes me think of Rosanne Bar in a mini skirt!"

Go for the XK-R.
Do you think the 7-series has ugly trunk lid too? The lids look similar on 6 and 7. I think the 7-series wears the trunk lid much better than the 6-series. My black/black 745i Sport has 19" sport rims, and turns a lot of heads.

Have you seen the 07 XKR? The front looks like one of those Ford Tauruses. Rear looks better as it resembles the entry-level Aston. It took me several years before I started to appreciate the pre-07 XK's, maybe the new 07 will grow on me too. But I see too much Ford in the 07 XK.
Attached Images     
Old 09-28-2006, 06:50 PM
mjet
Instructor

The Jag coupe is a much better looking car, but will it drive and handle like a sport GT or a luxury GT. Reliability is always a concern on the Jag......

The 6 is too heavy and not very attractive.......
Old 09-28-2006, 07:04 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

M6 all the way!!

I've owned three vettes. think the reason a lot of people get into accidents with vettes, camaros, etc. is that they take some skill to drive at the limit. They are very twitchy (too much power) and are horrrible int he rain or the cold.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:52 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JJB236
Do you think the 7-series has ugly trunk lid too? The lids look similar on 6 and 7. I think the 7-series wears the trunk lid much better than the 6-series. My black/black 745i Sport has 19" sport rims, and turns a lot of heads.

Have you seen the 07 XKR? The front looks like one of those Ford Tauruses. Rear looks better as it resembles the entry-level Aston. It took me several years before I started to appreciate the pre-07 XK's, maybe the new 07 will grow on me too. But I see too much Ford in the 07 XK.
All too often I have seen someone ask for opinions of two different brands of products (i.e. like Fabspeed vs. PSE exhaust, or X wheel vs. Y wheel) only to see posters respond with two or three additional choices, and sometimes they don’t even comment on the two choices originally offered. I made the assumption that you had narrowed your search to the three cars you mentioned, so I confined my comments and opinions to two of the cars mentioned.

I purposely did not comment on the MB SL 500, because admittedly, I am negatively biased concerning MB products. I bought my wife a special order 2005 MB CLK (her “dream” car) two years ago. I am glad she likes it because I really dislike it. If it were my car, I would have sold it 18 months ago. The build quality is very mediocre, it has cheap looking and feeling interior appointments, and not once or twice, but three times has the service been horrendous. It was not until I wrote a scathing letter to the President of MB USA did they rectify the service issues. Now the local dealership sends someone 35 miles (one way) to pick up her car for any service, and leave my wife a courtesy car to use.

I totally concur that the 7 Series wears the new rear end design much better than the 6 Series. That is because the 7 Series rear fenders extend straight back almost to the end of the car before they round off to form the tail lights. On the 6, the rear fenders begin sloping downward too early which makes trunk appear to be jutting up disproportionately high relative to the fenders.

I have owned two Jags (’71 KXE V-12 and 2000 S-Type) and have been extremely happy with both. Admittedly, the XKE had its share of electrical issues (we can blame Lucas for that ) but the S-Type was a great road car. I did have to get the driver’s door window regulator replaced (under warranty) but I had no other issues with the car, which I drive for 89,000 miles. I sold it to get my '04 C2.

I, too, prefer the XK8 body style to the current style, but it too may grow on me. You might want to PM kilrgt about the Jag XK, because he bought one about four or five months ago and he may be able to give you come additional insight on the car.

Good luck making your selection. I am sure you will enjoy whichever car you choose.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:38 PM
USS TT
Intermediate

Audi S6
Audi S8
Audi RS4
Audi S4 Cabriolet

I'd take any of those before a Jag, though the M6 is nice "second" choice.

are you limiting these to coupes? forgive me if so......
Old 09-29-2006, 12:03 AM
K996
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

Seems like you're duplicating what you already have to some extent but of the choices given I'd say Jag all the way. And if you get it get the coupe as that is a very nicely put together design.

Just imagine how pissed all the Aston drivers will be when people keep asking them "...is that a Jag?" hah

IMO the 6 series is pretty bland looking overall and downright ugly from the rear 3/4 angle. Again in my opinion the only worse looking car in the BMW lineup is the Z4.. and from its better views it looks like a copy of a G35. I'm also not a fan of i-Drive and all the BMW electronic crap they put it these days...in an "M" car even!
Old 09-29-2006, 12:09 AM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I test drove the Jag sometime ago ... no great shakes. Here is my review:

http://911carrera.blogspot.com/2006/...jaguar-xk.html
Old 09-29-2006, 12:27 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Buick Lucerne, wire wheels.

Quick Reply: As a secondary car to P, which do you recommend? 07 Jag XK-R or BMW M6?