Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Service wants to replace rotors with each pad change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

I have 53K on my pads and rotors and still have half of the pad left. (who needs to brake?)

Remember your pads have wear sensors on them that will let you know when your pads are nearing their serviceable limit. On rotors they need to be measured for thickness to see if they are too worn.

For rotors, rub your fingernail along the outside edge of the rotor. If there is a significant lip on the outside of the rotor, then it is probably time to change them, but unless you are aggressive with your brakes, any sane person should get at least 50K out their brakes.

Your dealer is jut trying to "upsell" you on stuff to fatten their profit margin on your service. And if you don't know better, they probably got their hook set in your wallet.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee from Toronto
Adrian, I've asked them not to change the rotors, just the pads. They told me the car will be ready for pick up this afternoon.
Well if they haven't no harm done and nothing to be sour about. This is normal dealer practice and you have to call them on it. They are not a charity and make their living by selling spare parts with huge mark ups and labour costs that most of us dream about getting, but you should know that already.
If they have changed the rotors ask for the old ones back and get a written explanation of why they were changed against your wishes. Then get sour.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

RIP OFF
Old 09-28-2006, 02:31 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If they change your rotors, also have them put some Autumn air in your tires, 'cuz the Summer air will be too hot to use in the Fall!
Old 09-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
I have 53K on my pads and rotors and still have half of the pad left. (who needs to brake?)

Remember your pads have wear sensors on them that will let you know when your pads are nearing their serviceable limit. On rotors they need to be measured for thickness to see if they are too worn.

For rotors, rub your fingernail along the outside edge of the rotor. If there is a significant lip on the outside of the rotor, then it is probably time to change them, but unless you are aggressive with your brakes, any sane person should get at least 50K out their brakes.
Hmm...I can see and feel the lip on the outer edge of my front rotors, although I don't know what's considered "significant" given that I'm at a shade over 40K. The dealer has been advising a replacement for 2 years now, but I'm hesitant since they aren't warped or cracked.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:24 PM
WearyMicrobe
Advanced

Originally Posted by colin.plastow
Necessary or not, changing rotors seems like the norm these days. In years gone by it used to be that rotors would be turned more or less as a matter of course when changing pads even if that wasn't needed. These days rotors for most cars are cheap enough that it's generally not worth the effort as cast iron is a bugger to work with and the tool gets dull after a rotor or two so the new money spinner is new rotors. That logic doesn't necessarily apply with Porsche prices of course but the same mentality seems to prevail.

Colin
Actually rotors are getting softer and brake pads harder nowadyas due to asbestes being removed from brake pads.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:30 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
Hmm...I can see and feel the lip on the outer edge of my front rotors, although I don't know what's considered "significant" given that I'm at a shade over 40K. The dealer has been advising a replacement for 2 years now, but I'm hesitant since they aren't warped or cracked.
dont worry about the lip get a micrometer and measure them if they are under spec they need to be changed
the dealer wants to replace rotors even if above spec ...........not so much for the more money but to prevent later issues. squeakin, vibration ect caussed by material build up on the rotor surface used rotors are much more difficult for the pads to "bed " . if you dont want them to change them then tell them just the pads, youll sign off that you declined rotors so if they squeel or shake the dealer isnt liable
Old 09-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Lee from Toronto
Advanced

Originally Posted by Adrian
If they have changed the rotors ask for the old ones back and get a written explanation of why they were changed against your wishes. Then get sour.
You're absolutely right. No reason to get prematurely sour...

Thanks for the sanity check guys!
Old 09-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lip is normal. Check the condition and measure.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Damn you and all your wonderful gadgets, Tool Pants!
Old 09-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee from Toronto
You're absolutely right. No reason to get prematurely sour...

Thanks for the sanity check guys!
So what happened Lee?
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,041 Likes on 535 Posts

I have a Mercedes mechanic friend who told me about one of their techs having the entire area under his bench full of rotors. He went on th say that he was sure not one of them would measure below minimum. As others have stated it's an easy buck.

To my dealer's credit they did not try to push rotors and pads on me at my 30K service and the rotors have been chewed on by Hawk Blues.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:03 PM
AmirShaikh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe when rotors get thin...they get prone to warping and cracking before anything further happens. I mean it's not like they'll suddenly break with large pieces falling off.

Warping you'll easily feel. Cracking...just make sure you periodically look it over.

I agree with the concensus...rotor replacement is a big scam!!

thanks,
Amir
Old 09-30-2006, 05:29 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

To often, people talk about "warped disc" when the disc, in fact, does not warp. In it almost impossible for a disc to warp under any street or track conditions. Anyone who has worked with metals knows how it is almost impossible to warp a piece of steel that has gone through the proper hardening process.

What people experience whan they describe a warped disc, is most often the transfer of pad material to the suface of the disc. You can even see this material when it is bad. This transfer takes place when the brake disc and pads are at extreme temperatures and the pad is held against the disc tightly for a time while the car is not moving. This causes a raised area on the disc and a vibration occurs the next time you apply the brakes as the pads hit this high spot.

Friction from using the brakes after material has been transfered to the disc, can sometimes remove the extra material, but most stock pads are not coarse enough to do so competely. Track brakes that are coarser and therefore more abrasive, do a much better job at keeping the discs clean.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:29 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Is this common practice or is this a cash grab at $1000? Rotors are not cracked or warped.

It's not an either or statement. Changing rotors when changing pads is a common practice and yes it is also a cash grab. I've lost count of how many times I've changed brake shoes and pads over the last 35 years, and I have never found the need to change the rotors on any occassion. Most BMW and Porsche Dealers will change rotors when changing pads.

Quick Reply: Service wants to replace rotors with each pad change?