Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

$400 too cheap for windshield replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 05:48 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

BTW, State Farm in Illinois has now changed their policy so that anytime they pay out anything, regardless of cause (like if a stone hits your windshield while driving or vandalism) it goes against your record. The premium may not go up instantly but there is like a point system they evaluate periodiclly to look at your claims, etc.

Adam
Old 09-28-2006, 05:49 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveFromNY
You should run up to my Safelite here in CT. Less than $400 all in with premium glass (so they say).
definitely worth the trip if I can save two hundo.WHere'd you get it done?
it'll Make up for those $200 in tickets I just got for not having a front plate and missing inspection. The funny part was that it was a DWI check point and no one was doing DWI tests, just handing out equipment tickets like it was an assembly line.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:46 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It's the Safelite on Summer Street in Stamford (try to say that 5 time real fast).

1447 SUMMER STREET
STAMFORD, CT 06902
1-877-742-4577

I just did had them do a windshield in my FX45 this morning and if it's not raining. I'm going to have them do the Porsche tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

If you make the ride up, shoot me a PM. I'll buy you lunch and we can talk P-cars...
Old 09-29-2006, 01:28 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Thanks!
I called the number you listed and got a $505 (OEM Glass) at a place 5 miles away.
I guess the price of the gas to make a drive from just outside NYC to Stamford roundtrip and the time probably makes it not worth saving $100. I asked about the TSB on the rope caulking and they had no 'notes' on it. THey guranteed stress fractures (as my orginal sucumed to) and distortion. I went for the $20 wipers too.

I can't believe they are doing it for $505 when the dealer asks $485 for the glass alone. I was sure I'd be spending $1000 to replace Porsche-anything.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:10 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

ok had the window installed by Safelite here in New Jersey on Saturday. Job started at 9:30 and the car was was done by 11:30 while I waited. Glass was imported OEM Sekurit. THe job looked first rate. I thought it would be done in only an hour so I was running late for another appointment in NYC. As I am about to cross the tunnel to go into NYC I notice a two inch cut on the dash board, another scratch and the moulding was not properly seated near the a pillar.

Have to make an immediate U turn which then leads to an hour plus of traffic to make my way back to the safelite shop (two hours late to my appointment now). I arrive just as they are about to close.
Point out the damage and also notice that a screwdriver or something was used to pry off the windshield wiper trim from the old glass. Except they didn't bother to open the hood and the screwdriver nicks the paint at the top of the right front fender (small but its gone through the base layer).
I don't know about you but I don't like the look of touch up paint on my car!
Ok these guys by being sloppy have done more $$$ damage than they made doing the job. You would think they would take some precautions like putting a drop cloth down on the dash or something.

The shop manager says he has filed a casualty claim and that someone from Safelite will be in touch with about the dash. I asked if I would receive a copy of this report and he said no "you'll just get a call".

I'll follow up by calling the 1-800 number today. Needless to say inspect your dash and and paint before they do the job and point out to them that there is no damage.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:01 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

perfectlap, sorry to hear your story. so they weren't doing this in front of you?
i thought they will come to your place (home/office) and do it on the spot?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:17 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

the shop was only 10 minutes away from where I live so I decided to go to them. They'll come to you for another $100 or so.
if I had to sit there and hover over them for two hours I would have told them to pay me my hourly fee!
p.s.
I thought this was a stress fracture but the supervisor pointed out the tiny chip on the outside that started the crack that went straight down in an almost vertical line. Had I caught this sooner it could have been repaired and avoided this expensive ordeal.
Moral of the story: INSPECT YOUR GLASS RIGHT NOW!
just kidding, but you should check it out every time you clean the car. My chip was barely 6 mml's. (I think a poker playing card is one 1 mml)
Old 10-02-2006, 06:09 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
I thought it would be done in only an hour
If they use the Porsche spec'd two-part adhesive it will take 3 hours to cure.

Quick Reply: $400 too cheap for windshield replacement?