Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Color seems to make a big difference.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 05:16 AM
man_of_ice
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Resale SUICIDE!
Definitely - thats not the argument I try to make.

If you want to buy a car to keep, whats wrong with buying a unsellable mint green 996 and getting it repainted in e.g. silver or speed yellow if thats what you fancy?

Yes - resale will be even worse than the mint green. But if its a car to keep, then why not.

I've been trying to sell my silver 2000 996 for 6 month now through private ways, and it is almost impossible - unless one wants to take the dealers price at $10k lower than what the cars are selling privately.

The market is just swamped with silver 2000's.

Thats why I'm thinking about declaring it a keeper, pimping it up with aero kit, ssk etc and getting a repaint.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:45 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Okay, I'll ask the following question - when buying a Porsche why does color matter?

As long is the color is not totally repulsive and falls into the mainstream, why would it matter at all if we're buying the car for the styling and the performance?

I know that it does to many people, but when I was buying it made little difference to me what color the car was. I chose not to have a tan interior, but that was for the practical manner that in my opinion the tan interior seems to age faster, but otherwise the exterior color mattered little.

I test drove, white, black, silver, midnight blue, and grey. If I could have found other colors I would probably have considered them too, but finding cars outside that color range is painfully difficult. If anything, I'd say that we need to get more adventurous on color selection on our p-cars.

Old 09-03-2006, 12:33 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

oreganet,

Because as much as I love a 911, including the "styling", color is a large part of it. I was in a rush to buy my 911 (other car died, had been driving around a borrowed Siena for awhile), so I bought the first mechanically sound car I saw at a good price. I decided that because the interior color wasn't black, that it would be fine. Ideally, I'd have gotten a SY/Cobalt car with aerokit, 3-spoke wheel, 18" wheels, sport seats, xenons, and a grey interior. Instead, I got a basalt black car with a 3-spoke wheel, 17", comfort seats, and a grey interior. It's nice, but I reeaaaly wish I'd held out longer. But I'm back to being a "starving student" again, so trading it isn't on the agenda for some time to come. Does my car look okay? Yes. Does it drive okay? Yes. But I really wish I'd held out a bit longer. Of course, if I had an aerokit, I'm sure my car would look a lot more aggressive and I'd not care as much. Same for xenons. I miss them. But when you add all those things up, it makes a difference, and color is a huge part of that. If I had Cobalt Blue, I think none of it would make a difference

Justin
Second time's a charm!
Old 09-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by oreganet
Okay, I'll ask the following question - when buying a Porsche why does color matter?

As long is the color is not totally repulsive and falls into the mainstream, why would it matter at all if we're buying the car for the styling and the performance?

I know that it does to many people, but when I was buying it made little difference to me what color the car was. I chose not to have a tan interior, but that was for the practical manner that in my opinion the tan interior seems to age faster, but otherwise the exterior color mattered little.

I test drove, white, black, silver, midnight blue, and grey. If I could have found other colors I would probably have considered them too, but finding cars outside that color range is painfully difficult. If anything, I'd say that we need to get more adventurous on color selection on our p-cars.

Because all of my cars are red
Old 09-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by oreganet

I recommend you go ask people in the motor trade and ask them why colour matters. I know many dealers stuck with cars they cannot get rid of simply because of the colour. These are usually the "special order cars" or what I refer to as the "brain fart colour combinations". This problem is found across all brands as well, not just Porsche.
Your reasoning behind purchasing a Porsche is certainly not what was behind my reasons for purchasing the particular Porsche I have at the moment. Colour to ensure what I wanted to achieve was very important. I do not consider a Porsche a fashion statement. I require understated and stealth because I do not like to be noticed. I also consider resale problems based on my own previous experience of selling my own Porsches over the years.
For the record over 60% of all 996s were sold "new" in various shades of Silver and Seal Gray. Silver and Gray remain the most popular colours for new Porsche buyers.
What motivates individuals in their purchases is of no interest to me. People can be as adventurous as they like with their own money, but when somebody asks the question about colour they have the right to be told the truth of the real world. Colour does matter especially if you use your own money to purchase and one day you have to resell it.
I recommend the serious Porsche Enthusiast looking to purchase a 996 or any of the newer models look into the colour issue very carefully and hang out for what you want. I also recommend asking the wife about the colour. If she says the colour sucks I suggest you take notice.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:54 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Color was certainly important to me when I was shopping for my 996. I was only interested in guards red or speed yellow. And I paid a premium for getting what I wanted. Over a 6 month period when I was shopping nationwide, I saw, literally, dozens of silver and grey 996's with the options I was looking for. I saw only a few in red or yellow and was outbid on every single one until I finally sucked it up and paid a $4k-$5k premium to get what I wanted.

I don't regret it at all and I imagine I'll get some of the cash back if I ever decide to sell (not likely).
Old 09-03-2006, 07:07 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I also recommend asking the wife about the colour. If she says the colour sucks I suggest you take notice.

LOL That sounds like a lesson learned from the school of hard knocks.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I wasn't trying to ask a dumb question, as I know the issues around color with other cars. Color absolutely matters when you're buying a car that is nothing special and few other redeeming qualities.

I was just curious as to how others felt when it came to Porsches. I would say that in my case I didn't want to color that was the same black, blue, grey, etc that others were driving, but color wasn't so much a deal breaker for me. To me the quality of the car, features, and performance were the main issues.

That being said, I had a strong preference not to have a metallic color due to them being such a pain to touch-up imperfections.

The most stunning Carrera I've seen recently was a metallic teal. I'm not sure I'd want to own it (for the reason above), but the color was spectacular.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

email me if you like this color.
2003 C-2 w/GT3Areo,heavy options, 4800 miles ,warranty till 4/08
Elliot
Attached Images    
Old 09-04-2006, 12:53 AM
signal
Racer

Color is nice, wouldn't be my first choice, but most likely 2003 is out of the range I am shopping. A 2000 is probably more in line with where I need to be. Nice looking car though!

Brian
Old 09-04-2006, 03:12 AM
man_of_ice
Racer

My #1 choice in color combo right there.

Which I had held out a bit longer and got it instead of silver/black
Old 09-04-2006, 04:32 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I also recommend asking the wife about the colour. If she says the colour sucks I suggest you take notice.

LOL That sounds like a lesson learned from the school of hard knocks.
School of frustration actually, but in the end if everyone is happy with all the choices it makes things a lot better in the long run. My 996 choice was happily accepted by my wife. It was getting her new car that proved frustrating.
Getting back on theme, the photo below is my interior. The Savannah Beige broken up by metallic blue trim (yes it looks a little Purple in the picture, but it's blue in real life) and a little bit of chrome I find very attractive. I certainly believe you have to like what surrounds you when driving especially if you do the amount of touring that we do.
My exterior colour is Pearl Effect Black Metallic (water based paint).
Ciao,
Adrian.
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2006, 08:35 PM
searching4996
Racer

Originally Posted by man_of_ice
My #1 choice in color combo right there.

Which I had held out a bit longer and got it instead of silver/black

Thats mine too! Blue with tan leather, stunning car

Quick Reply: Color seems to make a big difference.....