996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New Cop trick to me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 07:00 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, seen that one too here in Nothern Va. Troopers in the DC/VA/MD drive all kinds of cars too - SUV's, Stangs, Camaros, Crown Vics, Explorers.. if they were "clever" they'd get some Camry's and really mess with your head
Old 08-31-2006, 07:16 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I have seen a trooper running radar here in Ohio while an older lady sat on the side of the road with a flat and her trunk open trying to get the spare out! No kidding, that really aggravated me...I stopped and changed her tire. Trooper finally pulled up behind us and turned his flashers on so we wouldn't get hit...I realize that fixing cars is not in the line of duty but it really disturbed me.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:34 PM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckla
Hey livefree, you are not alone. My last ticket, on a two lane road in Bethesda, went something like this; I come out of a gentle turn going about 50mph on a 30mph stretch. I see ahead a truck and a car parked along the road ahead, but it looks like regular business. The car has its trunk up, further distracting me. Bam, lasered. Only my yes sir no sir routine earned me a downgrade to a ticket for 39mph.
What road? I'll try to keep my eyes open.

Bill
Old 08-31-2006, 10:16 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I'd often see a State Trooper go flying past me in . . .
If speeding is dangerous and so obviously unsafe why do speeding cops put us, poor taxpayers, at such unnecessary risk?
Old 08-31-2006, 10:22 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I wonder about 2 things:

1. If traffic cops, when they were growing up dreaming about becoming cops and fighting real crime, grew up dreaming about dishing out tickets to otherwise law abiding citizens. Wouldn't it be kind of a letdown to become a glorified tax collector?

2. How many times cops look the other way on other cops for speeding, running lights, domestic abuse and all kinds of other transgressions. It kind of blows the 'safety' argument out of the water when they let off their buddies for doing the same things we do.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:25 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Livefreeandrive
Fellow members, I have been in DC, Baltimore, Wilmington , and Philly areas for the last two weeks. Have you seen this trick yet>............... The cop is parked on the right side of the road with the trunk open=your mind says "breakdown, cruise on", But NO. The trooper is standing to one side of the car with his Lazer gun aimed right at you=No kidding. I saw it multiple times in the last two weeks. When you see a trunk or hood at a distance= SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!!! or else it is="what are you gonna do wit all that trunk, all that trunk.......... ... .............get out your wallet!............................." you get the idea!
Steve

Yes. About 6 weeks ago I drove down from Jersey to Maryland in a rental to pick up my new C4S, I was hit by radar about 3 times that exact same trip. I believe I was still in Delaware and not Maryland when it happened.

In Jersey I've seen a lot of cops (out of uniform) walking along the side of the road (no police or other parked car in site) and as you pull up to them they hit you with azer and then a couple of blocks down you'll run into a bunch of police cars that pull everyone over. I've been lucky so far and haven't been speeding.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:27 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
If speeding is dangerous and so obviously unsafe why do speeding cops put us, poor taxpayers, at such unnecessary risk?
i HATE that stuff. i think that officers should be the model driver and their driving should set an example. (do as i say, not as i do...ring a bell?)

i have the NON-emergency number for my local PD on speed dial. whenEVER i get passed by a cruiser without emergency lights excessively speeding, blowing stop signs (yes...) parking illegally etc, i note the car number and call it in.

i have no idea if it has any effect, but it does make me feel better. all those calls HAVE to go into a log - maybe someone will notice.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:37 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank god for DE. Where you can go out and let it rip with fellow friends and gentlemen/Ladies. I ran my small digi camera on a mount at our region's last DE. I have showed it to many people and I keep telling them it is not racing!!!!!!!! We give each other passing signals and lift. No macho, no B.S. My friends are amazed................then I say would it not be awesome if American highways worked like that???????????????Can you imagine the reduction is accidents as normal people experience a little "rage" and pass on the right??
Old 09-01-2006, 12:34 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,934 Posts

My friends... we speed... there is no way around it. I must say however, that as much as I believe cops that only write tickets (Especially bastard motorcycle cops that never give a break) are glorified meter maids there are two things that pi$$ me off more than anything else.

1. You can always tell when the authorities are generating revenue, because of heightened enforcement in greater numbers.

2. The red light cameras, speed cameras are nothing more than EFFICIENT REVENUE GENERATORS. They are here to stay. They can generate more tickets per hour than any cop can do and costs less to do so.

CASE IN POINT: Here is SoCal, people got really pi$$ed off at the red light cameras when they first came out. A study by a ticket attorney was conducted that showed that the interval of the yellow light prior to the red light being triggered actually went down from when they were installed. Engineers stated that the SHORTENED yellow light did not give sufficent time to stop given the posted speed in the area.

On top of that, the private contractor that built and serviced the camera was getting a percentage of each ticket generated so that there was a conflict of interest. The bottom line was that the cameras were shut down for a while, the light intervals adjusted and the police dept. supervised the serve of the lights by the contractor. I believe the figure given out was that each red light camera was generating a health 5 figure income everyday for the city.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:38 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I'm no "patrolman" fan but consider the perks you enjoy by being employed at your job. Yeah, they get to speed but they have to do so in a rectangle lifeless vehicle that can barely break 110 mph because of the lightbars.

Originally Posted by washington951
i HATE that stuff. i think that officers should be the model driver and their driving should set an example. (do as i say, not as i do...ring a bell?)

i have the NON-emergency number for my local PD on speed dial. whenEVER i get passed by a cruiser without emergency lights excessively speeding, blowing stop signs (yes...) parking illegally etc, i note the car number and call it in.

i have no idea if it has any effect, but it does make me feel better. all those calls HAVE to go into a log - maybe someone will notice.

Last edited by washington dc porsche; 09-01-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:46 AM
AmirShaikh
Instructor

So you focus on fooling the camera?

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Of course, all of the bitching and moaning from this side of the pond (US) is nothing when you consider what I used to face in the UK as a P-Car driver.

Speeding here in the US is a breeze compared to the UK!

Chris.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:59 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
those f..ing cops should start fighting crime!! Instead they sit on their ***...making easy money..by writing speeding tickets!! Go figure....crime is up....people are getting killed left and right....little children molested and go missing....BUT the stupid PIGS....sit on their fat asses...eating donuts and writing traffic tickets!! I hate cops....they are lazy no good wannebe criminals! When you need them they are nowhere to be found!!

Do I sound bitter...you bet......one of those idiots got me speeding....luckily what he makes in a month....fill in the rest!
So you are blaming the cop for the fact that you broke the law?

Cops can't keep people from killing each other or prevent kidnappings, they can only pursue the offenders. Don't blame them for society's ills. If you have to blame someone, blame the legislatures you elect that pass laws with weak enforcement and who refuse to build enough jails.

If you got a ticket for speeding, that was YOUR fault, not the cop's. Don't want a ticket? Don't speed. If you want to drive fast, do a driving event on a racetrack where you are much safer and not breaking any laws.

Michael
Old 09-01-2006, 10:04 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Pete
My friends... we speed... there is no way around it. I must say however, that as much as I believe cops that only write tickets (Especially bastard motorcycle cops that never give a break) are glorified meter maids there are two things that pi$$ me off more than anything else.

1. You can always tell when the authorities are generating revenue, because of heightened enforcement in greater numbers.

2. The red light cameras, speed cameras are nothing more than EFFICIENT REVENUE GENERATORS. They are here to stay. They can generate more tickets per hour than any cop can do and costs less to do so.

CASE IN POINT: Here is SoCal, people got really pi$$ed off at the red light cameras when they first came out. A study by a ticket attorney was conducted that showed that the interval of the yellow light prior to the red light being triggered actually went down from when they were installed. Engineers stated that the SHORTENED yellow light did not give sufficent time to stop given the posted speed in the area.

On top of that, the private contractor that built and serviced the camera was getting a percentage of each ticket generated so that there was a conflict of interest. The bottom line was that the cameras were shut down for a while, the light intervals adjusted and the police dept. supervised the serve of the lights by the contractor. I believe the figure given out was that each red light camera was generating a health 5 figure income everyday for the city.
I agree that the cameras are often misused and the crap with the shortened yellow light is simply inexcusable.

HOWEVER... people are stupid, arrogant and self-centered. When the highway patrol here in NC tries to monitor and enforce the "no passing school bus with flashing lights" law, they catch, literally, hundreds of people a day breaking this law! And if people get red light tickets, well then, by golly, they are running red lights! And they should be punished for it.

We have these laws for our safety. If you can't go through an intersection when you have the right of way with a relatively high expectation of not getting t-boned by some dumbass in a hurry who can't be bothered to conform to society's rules, then none of us will be driving our little Porsches anymore. We'll all be in massive gas guzzling behemoth SUVs further destroying our planet and killing all the little birds and fishes.

Let me get off my soapbox...

Michael
Old 09-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
So you are blaming the cop for the fact that you broke the law?

Cops can't keep people from killing each other or prevent kidnappings, they can only pursue the offenders. Don't blame them for society's ills. If you have to blame someone, blame the legislatures you elect that pass laws with weak enforcement and who refuse to build enough jails.

If you got a ticket for speeding, that was YOUR fault, not the cop's. Don't want a ticket? Don't speed. If you want to drive fast, do a driving event on a racetrack where you are much safer and not breaking any laws.

Michael
I have to agree here. This is the second time I've seen Nicolaas go off on cops and to be honest it's a little too much spitting acid and bad attitude. Time to grow up. Their job is to enforce the law, they don't make them and they're just doing their jobs.

Now there are four options here if you don't like them doing their job: i) don't break the law ii) don't get caught. iii) mass concensus that the laws need changing forcing action in the legistlature iv) go live somewhere where you like the laws better.

Sure, noone likes getting a speeding ticket, but the mature response when you get caught speeding, is to take it like a man and say "fair enough, I was speeding".

Sure, they can have their tricks to catch us speeding and we can do our best to avoid getting caught, but in the end we have to recognize that when you get caught, then it's not the fault of the cop, but the fault of the one breaking the law.

I can't beleive we have so much whining about this considering (as another poster pointed out) how bad other countries (like the UK) have it. What a bunch of pussies.

Last edited by oreganet; 09-02-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:15 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Around the metropolitan area, cops/troopers are out in bushes with their gilly suit on and a laser gun. Its ridiculous what these cops/troopers do to catch speeders around here. If our military was as creative, we'll own the world already.

Quick Reply: New Cop trick to me?